Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#81  Postby HomerJay » Nov 24, 2013 11:06 pm

SkyMutt wrote:For instance, I disagree with your contention that homophobia is a nonsense term; it describes a very real phenomenon.

I said that homophobia was a non-sensical term in the same way that islamophobia is, if you rely on a literal reading of its' etymology.

Homo means same not same sex.

Jez9999's (and probably your opinion) that it makes sense because we know that Homo refers to Homosexuality is the same as islamophobia, if we know that Islamo refers to muslims.

The problem of course is that we know that islamo refers to both islam and muslims.

Can you think of another phrase or concept that we have in english that refers both to the ideology and also its' followers, such that it is used to prevent criticism of the ideology?

Hence why I said it is sui generis and doesn't reflect any other concept in either the muslim or non-muslim world.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
User avatar
HomerJay
 
Posts: 5868
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#82  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Nov 24, 2013 11:08 pm

tuco wrote:Islamophobic is about as "nonsensical" as homophobic.

edit: you stole my line Thomas. Pirate ..

Argh matey, you landlubbers gotch ta be faster afore ye steal my booty! :pirate:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#83  Postby poolshark » Apr 21, 2014 4:01 pm

For me Jez9999 has a point about the distiction between the Quran and the Bible. Muslims (in general, he said cautiously..) believe that the Quran was dictated by God. This is one of the reasons for it being held physically sacred and this point lends weight to the inerrantist view that Jez9999 is suggesting many Muslims hold. I know that many Christians are also inerrantist too, which is fuckin scary considering the crap in the OT but many can parse the scripture for the good stuff. Even the Pope accepts evolution these days. Can you see any Imams doing the same?
poolshark
 
Posts: 63

Country: Germany
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#84  Postby THWOTH » Apr 21, 2014 4:56 pm

Whether Islamophobic is a nonsensical term or not, it is still applied to people as a charge of irrational fear, intolerance, discrimination, and/or hatred of or for Islam and Muslims - typically where people simply refuse to accept the religious insistences of this-or-that branch of Islamic authoritarianism, or profess to a lack of respect for the supernatural claims of Islam, or are critical of the words and deeds carried out in the name of Islam or on behalf of Islam's nominated deity.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#85  Postby viocjit » Jun 07, 2014 1:08 am

Islamophobia is a nonsensical term. Phobia means an irrational fear.
The problem with this word is the next.
Do you fear Islam , Muslims or both ?

If you fear Islam this is understandable for the next reasons :

1.Which religion is responsible of the majority of terrorist attack in the world ?
I reknown that all Muslims aren't terrorist but the majority of terrorist in the
world are Muslims.
I can prove that I'm right. Read the national newspapper from all countries the last two decade.
Also this website contain the most wanted terrorist by FBI : http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/wanted_terrorists
I'm not saying that we must fear all Muslims (many Muslims are cocktail Muslims , I know many of these).
This is understandable that people fear all Muslims even if all Muslims aren't terrorists (many Muslims that I know think that Islam is against terrorism and that terrorist attacks are a plot from Western and Israeli national inteligence).

This is understandable to fear Islam when we know that that the majority of terrorist attacks are Islamic attacks.

2.In which countries women are stoned for adultery ?
Answer : They are Muslim countries. Read the penal code of these countries and penal code from Christian countries.
You can constate that the majority of Christians doesn't apply the OT law.

The majority of Christians doesn't apply the OT law :
A.Some of them think that Jesus abolished the law (Catholic).
B.Some of them think that Jesus fulfilled the law. (Protestant).
C.The majority of countries where Christianity is the major religion are secular (France) or have secular values even if Christianity is the state religion (UK , the state religion is Anglicanism).


3.Analyse these points.
User avatar
viocjit
 
Posts: 193
Male

Country: France
France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#86  Postby THWOTH » Jun 07, 2014 1:47 am

Islam, which means 'submission', is declared by all branches of the faith to be the final and most perfect word of the Abrahamic deity, which in turns places an obligation on every Muslim to further the cause for a total and world-wide religion. I my view such an all-pervasive, all-encompassing, and ultimately authoritarian ideology should be strenuously resisted.

Does this make me an Islam-o-phobe?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#87  Postby epepke » Jun 07, 2014 2:26 am

Sure, it's nonsensical, contradictory, and a conflation.

Let's take the most popular definition of the term from the Runnymede Trust, which gives 8 criteria for being an Islamophobe:

1. Whether Islam is seen as monolithic and static, or as diverse and dynamic.

It might be accurate or inaccurate, but if you see Islam as monolithic and static, you're an Islamophobe.

2. Whether Islam is seen as other and separate, or as similar and interdependent.

If you think that, for instance, Sharia is separate from secular law, you're an Islamophobe.

3. Whether Islam is seen as inferior, or as different but equal.

See 2. If you think that secular laws are better, you're an Islamophobe. Also, please note. It doesn't matter a flying fuck if you also have similar opinions of Christianity and other religions. If you think that Islam is inferior to anything, then you are a stinking Islamophobe.

4. Whether Islam is seen as an aggressive enemy or a cooperative partner.

Now, this one is just plain stupid. Islam is just a body of ideas. How can a body of ideas be aggressive or cooperative? Now, people influenced by those ideas can be, so as elsewhere, the Runnymede definitions tries to conflate Islam and Muslims at every turn. So don't try to say that you are criticizing the ideas and not the people; the distinction is disallowed by the people who use the term Islamophobe.

5. Whether Muslims are seen as manipulative or sincere.

Well, sure Taqiyya is only part of Shia Islam, not Sunni Islam, but it works for Iran.

6. Whether Muslim criticism of 'the West' are rejected or debated.

Whoa, wait a minute! I thought we were supposed to think of Muslims er... Islam er... whatever as equal and cooperative and interdependent with everything else. Yes, so I guess that rejecting Muslim creationism against the theory of evolution instead of saying, "Hmmmm, yes, it's all equal, and we have to have a real debate" means you're an Islamophobe.

7. Whether discriminatory behavior against Muslims is defended or opposed.

Finally, something that makes some sense. But then, suddenly...

8. Whether anti-Muslim discourse is seen as natural or as problematic.

And this is what it all comes down to. Discourse is bad, and fuck free speech. Unless, of course, it's Muslim criticisms of 'the West,' such as about that evolution thingie or letting women express themselves as they like or teaching women how to read. It all must be taken seriously and considered equal. But let anyone engage in criticism of Islam, and if you don't think that's problematic, you're an Islamophobe.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#88  Postby viocjit » Jun 12, 2014 10:19 pm

epepke wrote:Sure, it's nonsensical, contradictory, and a conflation.

Let's take the most popular definition of the term from the Runnymede Trust, which gives 8 criteria for being an Islamophobe:

1. Whether Islam is seen as monolithic and static, or as diverse and dynamic.

It might be accurate or inaccurate, but if you see Islam as monolithic and static, you're an Islamophobe.

2. Whether Islam is seen as other and separate, or as similar and interdependent.

If you think that, for instance, Sharia is separate from secular law, you're an Islamophobe.

3. Whether Islam is seen as inferior, or as different but equal.

See 2. If you think that secular laws are better, you're an Islamophobe. Also, please note. It doesn't matter a flying fuck if you also have similar opinions of Christianity and other religions. If you think that Islam is inferior to anything, then you are a stinking Islamophobe.

4. Whether Islam is seen as an aggressive enemy or a cooperative partner.

Now, this one is just plain stupid. Islam is just a body of ideas. How can a body of ideas be aggressive or cooperative? Now, people influenced by those ideas can be, so as elsewhere, the Runnymede definitions tries to conflate Islam and Muslims at every turn. So don't try to say that you are criticizing the ideas and not the people; the distinction is disallowed by the people who use the term Islamophobe.

5. Whether Muslims are seen as manipulative or sincere.

Well, sure Taqiyya is only part of Shia Islam, not Sunni Islam, but it works for Iran.

6. Whether Muslim criticism of 'the West' are rejected or debated.

Whoa, wait a minute! I thought we were supposed to think of Muslims er... Islam er... whatever as equal and cooperative and interdependent with everything else. Yes, so I guess that rejecting Muslim creationism against the theory of evolution instead of saying, "Hmmmm, yes, it's all equal, and we have to have a real debate" means you're an Islamophobe.

7. Whether discriminatory behavior against Muslims is defended or opposed.

Finally, something that makes some sense. But then, suddenly...

8. Whether anti-Muslim discourse is seen as natural or as problematic.

And this is what it all comes down to. Discourse is bad, and fuck free speech. Unless, of course, it's Muslim criticisms of 'the West,' such as about that evolution thingie or letting women express themselves as they like or teaching women how to read. It all must be taken seriously and considered equal. But let anyone engage in criticism of Islam, and if you don't think that's problematic, you're an Islamophobe.


You say that Runnymede Trust gives 8 criterias to consider you like an Islamophobe.

1. Whether Islam is seen as monolithic and static, or as diverse and dynamic.
If you see Islam as a monolithic and static this is only a misconception. (Everyone don't know the existence of different branches like Sunnism [Subranches of Sunnism : Hanbali , Hanafi , Maliki , Shafi'i etc...] and Shia [Subranches : Alawis , Duodecimal , Isma'ilism etc...] without forget the non-denominational Cocktail Muslims etc...)
Therefore I'm maybe Islamophobe because I think that Islam is diverse and dynamic ?

2. Whether Islam is seen as other and separate, or as similar and interdependent.
?

3. Whether Islam is seen as inferior, or as different but equal.
Each religions are different even if they have point in commons.
Therefore if someone think that it's different but equal. He/She's
Islamophobe ?
I liked when your aborded Secularism because I think that you're right at this point.

4. Whether Islam is seen as an aggressive enemy or a cooperative partner.
I think that you're right. He doesn't know make the difference between people and ideology.
This ideology is a problem but many Muslims aren't a problem at all because they are Cocktail
Muslims. When I was at High School (I precise that I live in France in a Muslims ghetto where they are between 20-40% in my neighbourhood) I can remember that the majority of people who made bullshits were Muslims from neighbourhoods in others cities than mine where Muslims were 60-80% of the population in their housing estate. Even if the majority of bulshitters were Muslims for religious , cultural and social reasons. That don't avoid the existence of peacefull Cocktail Muslims.

5. Whether Muslims are seen as manipulative or sincere.
Some Sunnis practice Taqqiya. The Swissman "Tariq Ramadan" wrote a book in French language were he said that he think that it's good to stoning adultery women. A day he spoke with Nicolas Sarkozy (former president of France , ex-interior ministry and former mayor of neuilly-sur-seine [zip code : 92200]). Sarkozy asked him what he does think about stoning women ? Ramadan lied and said that he's against. The former president of France said him that he's a lier because he wrote that he support stoning in a book. The Muslim apologetic was in a delicate situation at this moment.

6. Whether Muslim criticism of 'the West' are rejected or debated.
I think that you're right.


7. Whether discriminatory behavior against Muslims is defended or opposed.
?


8. Whether anti-Muslim discourse is seen as natural or as problematic.
1.We can't deny that this is problematic to support anti-evolution theory in the 21th century.
2.We can't deny that this is problematic that the Qur'an contain more violent verses that the Bible.
3.We can't deny that this is problematic to support the killing of apostates. (I'm not saying that all Muslims support these views).
User avatar
viocjit
 
Posts: 193
Male

Country: France
France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#89  Postby THWOTH » Jun 13, 2014 1:42 am

Berkeley Center For Race and Gender wrote:Islamophobia is a contrived fear or prejudice fomented by the existing Eurocentric and Orientalist global power structure. It is directed at a perceived or real Muslim threat through the maintenance and extension of existing disparities in economic, political, social and cultural relations, while rationalizing the necessity to deploy violence as a tool to achieve "civilizational rehab" of the target communities (Muslim or otherwise). Islamophobia reintroduces and reaffirms a global racial structure through which resource distribution disparities are maintained and extended.

http://crg.berkeley.edu/content/islamop ... lamophobia
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#90  Postby Imagination Theory » Jul 10, 2014 5:03 am

tuco wrote:Islamophobic is about as "nonsensical" as homophobic.

edit: you stole my line Thomas. Pirate ..


I do't think either is nonsensical.
Я пью за разоренный дом,
За злую жизнь мою,
За одиночество вдвоем,
И за тебя я пью, -
За ложь меня предавших губ,
За мертвый холод глаз,
За то, что мир жесток и груб,
За то, что Бог не спас.


Андре́евна

אני מתגעגע הביתה
User avatar
Imagination Theory
 
Posts: 5981

Botswana (bw)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#91  Postby epepke » Jul 10, 2014 5:27 am

Wait a minute, though. Just recently, due in fact to this forum, I saw a case where the term "Islamophobia" may have meant something.

There was this Festival of Dangerous Ideas in Australia somewhere. They had invited a guy they listed as a Muslim writer and activist who was going to give a talk entitled "Honour Killing is Morally Justifiable," or words to that effect. People went ape-shit over the title and the organizers yanked him. They said that the title was misleading, but of course he didn't condone it, and yada yada. He grumpily said that it showed how much Islamophobia there was.

Well, even here, people were all upset, saying that he either was not an activist but some extremist scum, or else Let's Not Assume All Muslims, and more yada, none of which was very interesting. I found it interesting that I think I could defend that thesis, but only of course by stating that morality was bad. And then lots of people didn't like me for that, which is unsurprising but a little bit interesting.

Never mind though. The dynamic was that 1) he wasn't allowed to speak, but 2) all of these extremely white and non-Muslim people felt completely justified (morally and otherwise) for speaking for him. They even quoted a feminist because people believe that everything feminists say is true and morally right, and they never fart, either.

Still, the essence of this move seems likely they were afraid, and they used their fear to shut him down. They were probably afraid of what he'd say, but probably not in the sense that they thought he would say anything bad. No, I think it more likely that he might say something interesting that might pop the Bubble O' Bullshit™.

So they treated him, really, quite a lot the way a lot of people (including many feminists) treat women. They shut down the possibility that he could get to say what he thought, as opposed to what he was supposed to think based on their cultural hegemony.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#92  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 10, 2014 7:19 am

Imagination Theory wrote:
tuco wrote:Islamophobic is about as "nonsensical" as homophobic.

edit: you stole my line Thomas. Pirate ..


I do't think either is nonsensical.

Hence the scare quotes ;)
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#93  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am

viocjit wrote:Islamophobia is a nonsensical term. Phobia means an irrational fear.

Just a general note. The bolded bit is false:
phobia
Line breaks: pho¦bia
Pronunciation: /ˈfəʊbɪə

/
noun
An extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something:


And before someone wants to quibble about aversion:

Definition of aversion in English:
aversion
Line breaks: aver|sion
Pronunciation: /əˈvəːʃ(ə)n

/
noun
1A strong dislike or disinclination:

Source: Oxford dictionaries
End of general note.
The above is why, imo, Islamophobia is a sensible term as there are people who have an irrational dislike of anything and everything Islamic.
That's not to say there isn't valid criticism against the religion or some of it's followers of course, but it isn't a dichotomy.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#94  Postby THWOTH » Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am

epepke wrote:Wait a minute, though. Just recently, due in fact to this forum, I saw a case where the term "Islamophobia" may have meant something.

There was this Festival of Dangerous Ideas in Australia somewhere. They had invited a guy they listed as a Muslim writer and activist who was going to give a talk entitled "Honour Killing is Morally Justifiable," or words to that effect. People went ape-shit over the title and the organizers yanked him. They said that the title was misleading, but of course he didn't condone it, and yada yada. He grumpily said that it showed how much Islamophobia there was.

Well, even here, people were all upset, saying that he either was not an activist but some extremist scum, or else Let's Not Assume All Muslims, and more yada, none of which was very interesting. I found it interesting that I think I could defend that thesis, but only of course by stating that morality was bad. And then lots of people didn't like me for that, which is unsurprising but a little bit interesting.

Never mind though. The dynamic was that 1) he wasn't allowed to speak, but 2) all of these extremely white and non-Muslim people felt completely justified (morally and otherwise) for speaking for him. They even quoted a feminist because people believe that everything feminists say is true and morally right, and they never fart, either.

Still, the essence of this move seems likely they were afraid, and they used their fear to shut him down. They were probably afraid of what he'd say, but probably not in the sense that they thought he would say anything bad. No, I think it more likely that he might say something interesting that might pop the Bubble O' Bullshit™.

So they treated him, really, quite a lot the way a lot of people (including many feminists) treat women. They shut down the possibility that he could get to say what he thought, as opposed to what he was supposed to think based on their cultural hegemony.

So we're Islamophobic when we don't like what Muslims say or do. Fair enough. But in applying this term to their naysayers are not some Muslims just trying to foreclose on any criticism of what they say or do, and don't we have reasonable cause to disagree with some of what some Muslims do say or do do in the name of, or inspired by, their religion?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
User avatar
THWOTH
RS Donator
 
Name: Penrose
Posts: 37113
Age: 56

Country: Untied Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#95  Postby epepke » Jul 10, 2014 10:09 am

THWOTH wrote:So we're Islamophobic when we don't like what Muslims say or do. Fair enough.


Yeah, that's accurate. I didn't say I liked it.

But in applying this term to their naysayers are not some Muslims just trying to foreclose on any criticism of what they say or do, and don't we have reasonable cause to disagree with some of what some Muslims do say or do do in the name of, or inspired by, their religion?


You're trying to make sense here, and that doesn't work. You're an Islamophobe anyway. Whatever. You don't even have to criticize a Muslim. All you have to do is criticize somebody, and if some asshole can convince some other asshole that you really meant a Muslim, then you are an Islamophobe.

Still, I think the guy in Australia had a point. A very rare one, but more solid for that reason.
User avatar
epepke
 
Posts: 4080

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#96  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 10, 2014 10:16 am

epepke wrote:
THWOTH wrote:So we're Islamophobic when we don't like what Muslims say or do. Fair enough.


Yeah, that's accurate. I didn't say I liked it.

But in applying this term to their naysayers are not some Muslims just trying to foreclose on any criticism of what they say or do, and don't we have reasonable cause to disagree with some of what some Muslims do say or do do in the name of, or inspired by, their religion?


You're trying to make sense here, and that doesn't work. You're an Islamophobe anyway. Whatever. You don't even have to criticize a Muslim. All you have to do is criticize somebody, and if some asshole can convince some other asshole that you really meant a Muslim, then you are an Islamophobe.

Still, I think the guy in Australia had a point. A very rare one, but more solid for that reason.

Dismissing a term because some people misapply is hardly rational either....
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#97  Postby OlivierK » Jul 10, 2014 12:52 pm

epepke wrote:I found it interesting that I think I could defend that thesis, but only of course by stating that morality was bad. And then lots of people didn't like me for that, which is unsurprising but a little bit interesting.

It's also false. Here is your post, and anyone can read that there are, in fact, not a lot of people disliking you or your views, but in fact a few people, including myself, broadly agreeing while discussing details. The fact that you feel the need to invent this hostility to your views is interesting, if a little unsurprising. ;)
User avatar
OlivierK
 
Posts: 9828
Age: 54
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#98  Postby HomerJay » Jul 14, 2014 9:56 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:The above is why, imo, Islamophobia is a sensible term as there are people who have an irrational dislike of anything and everything Islamic.
That's not to say there isn't valid criticism against the religion or some of it's followers of course, but it isn't a dichotomy.

But this is just a hideously contrived, post-hoc retro-rationalisation of the term.

It's certainly not how the term was coined, nor how it is used now and it's no defence of the concept to say , with retrospect, that everyone who doesn't use it in this context is "misapplying" it.

There isn't really an equivalent phrase in the english language, marxismophobia? Some christians have tried to coin christianophobia, but again this focus on the people not the ideology.

That's why I said it's sui generis, it doesn't fit into a pattern of language that we've used previously, so the neologism needs to explain it's framework, not simply the phrase itself.

Most intelligent solutions focus on the discrimination aspect , 'anti-muslim discrimination' etc, which again focuses on the person not the ideology.

It's not clear here what use you're making of 'irrational' as most atheists have little time for creationism, does that make us creationismophobes? Dismissing creationsm as simply not worth discussing is a rational use of one's time and effort, it isn't worth rationalising over. Similarly for many ex-muslims there is nothing to be gained from rationalising over islam, it's the voter's paradox to say that each and every idea must be addressed and rationalised over before it's dismissed or disliked.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
User avatar
HomerJay
 
Posts: 5868
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#99  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jul 14, 2014 10:07 pm

HomerJay wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:The above is why, imo, Islamophobia is a sensible term as there are people who have an irrational dislike of anything and everything Islamic.
That's not to say there isn't valid criticism against the religion or some of it's followers of course, but it isn't a dichotomy.

But this is just a hideously contrived, post-hoc retro-rationalisation of the term.

Nope, it's apt descriptor for people who have an irrational fear or opposition towards anything Islamic.
Just like homophobia and xenophobia.

HomerJay wrote:It's certainly not how the term was coined,

Sure and faggot was not coined as meaning homosexual, doesn't mean it hasn't changed to include that definition.

HomerJay wrote: nor how it is used now

What are you referring to by 'now'? There are plenty people who use it that way.

HomerJay wrote:and it's no defence of the concept to say , with retrospect, that everyone who doesn't use it in this context is "misapplying" it.

Sure it isn't. It does however point the fallacy of those who dismiss it out of hand for that reason.
The defense of the concept is that it is comparable to other -phobic terms and applies to a certain group of people.

HomerJay wrote:There isn't really an equivalent phrase in the english language, marxismophobia?

I just gave you two examples: homophobia and xenophobia, neither of which are limited to fear alone, but can also be opposition in general, as long as it's irrational.

HomerJay wrote:Some christians have tried to coin christianophobia, but again this focus on the people not the ideology.

Why does it matter if it applies to people or ideology?
Xenophobia can apply both to foreign people and foreign customs and rules.

HomerJay wrote:That's why I said it's sui generis, it doesn't fit into a pattern of language that we've used previously,

Except that it does, as I just pointed out.

HomerJay wrote:Most intelligent solutions focus on the discrimination aspect , 'anti-muslim discrimination' etc, which again focuses on the person not the ideology.

Intelligent solutions for what?


HomerJay wrote:It's not clear here what use you're making of 'irrational' as most atheists have little time for creationism, does that make us creationismophobes?

Having little time for =/= having an extreme irrational fear or opposition to creationism.

HomerJay wrote:Dismissing creationsm as simply not worth discussing is a rational use of one's time and effort, it isn't worth rationalising over.

Dismissing something because you find it worthless =/= extreme fear of and/or opposition to.

HomerJay wrote:Similarly for many ex-muslims there is nothing to be gained from rationalising over islam, it's the voter's paradox to say that each and every idea must be addressed and rationalised over before it's dismissed or disliked.

I haven't talked about dismissing ideologies.
-phobias are an extreme, irrational fear and/or opposition to something.
Neither indifference nor disinterest qualify as such.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
User avatar
Thomas Eshuis
 
Name: Thomas Eshuis
Posts: 31088
Age: 31
Male

Country: Netherlands
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Islamophobic" a nonsensical term?

#100  Postby HomerJay » Jul 14, 2014 10:35 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
HomerJay wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:The above is why, imo, Islamophobia is a sensible term as there are people who have an irrational dislike of anything and everything Islamic.
That's not to say there isn't valid criticism against the religion or some of it's followers of course, but it isn't a dichotomy.

But this is just a hideously contrived, post-hoc retro-rationalisation of the term.

Nope, it's apt descriptor for people who have an irrational fear or opposition towards anything Islamic.
Just like homophobia and xenophobia.

No, it's not like them at all, that's the problem.

Neither of these are specific to an ideology, if you remove the ideology and talk people then it's anti-muslim discrimination, a far better term because it doesn't preclude rejection of the ideology.

Try to think of an english phrase that relates to a particular ideology.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
User avatar
HomerJay
 
Posts: 5868
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest