Is "Science" an indoctrination?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#1  Postby consistency » Dec 25, 2013 2:03 am

Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.
I Observe, therefore, I am.
consistency
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 275

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#2  Postby stijndeloose » Dec 25, 2013 2:11 am

How so?
Image
Fallible wrote:Don't bacon picnic.
User avatar
stijndeloose
Banned User
 
Name: Stdlnjo
Posts: 18554
Age: 41
Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#3  Postby hackenslash » Dec 25, 2013 2:19 am

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


No, because central to the scientific method is the premise 'do not accept this answer without checking it'.

Game over for your sophomoric, at best, apologetics.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#4  Postby consistency » Dec 25, 2013 2:24 am

hackenslash wrote:

No, because central to the scientific method is the premise 'do not accept this answer without checking it'.


What do you mean by "checking it"?
I Observe, therefore, I am.
consistency
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 275

Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#5  Postby hackenslash » Dec 25, 2013 2:29 am

Does this assertion comply with available evidence? Is it contradicted by it? Is the reasoning employed in the arrival at this conclusion valid? Sound? Does it lead to any predictions by which it might be tested?

I mean checking it.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21444
Age: 51
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#6  Postby MrFungus420 » Dec 25, 2013 2:51 am

No. Science is a method.

Short version:

Step 1: See something.
Step 2: Think of a possible explanation.
Step 3: Try to figure out if that explanation is correct.

That is, assuming that you meant to ask if science is an indoctrination. The word "science" is not a proper name so should not be capitalized and I don't know why you put it in quotes.

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Bullshit, you have not observed it because EVERYTHING in science is subject to revision and critical examination.

What you actually might see is that virtually all of the relevant science supports evolution...because it does. There is not a valid alternative, not because critical examination is discouraged, but because there is literally NO evidence supporting any other possible explanation for the diversity of life on Earth.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420
 
Posts: 3914

Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#7  Postby MrFungus420 » Dec 25, 2013 2:53 am

consistency wrote:
hackenslash wrote:

No, because central to the scientific method is the premise 'do not accept this answer without checking it'.


What do you mean by "checking it"?


Really? We have to explain to you what it means to check an answer?

Critically examine the possible answer to try to determine if it is most likely to be correct..
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420
 
Posts: 3914

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#8  Postby Bribase » Dec 25, 2013 3:29 am

Along with your other post entitled "Is evolutionary theory false?" This is just cheap journalistic framing, Consistency. You're simply twinning the idea of indoctrination with your own misapprehension of what science is in the vain hope that we don't know better.

Scientific paradigms shift all of the time, Consistency. We've seen that in the revolutionary changes to our conception of modern physics and our understanding of genetics in the last 50 years or so. Both have forced us to reconsider our understandings of the world and to adapt what we previously thought unassailable. It's not difficult to challenge even the most closely guarded scientific principles, as long as you can demonstrate it through rigorous scientific investigation.

Unfortunately, those that complain that their pet theologies aren't accepted into the scientific consensus are not taken seriously because, rather than actually trying to synthesise a sound, rigorous and scientifically accurate mechanism for their design hypothesis they claim that scientists are simply too obstinate. Like you have; Mistaking indoctrination for scientific rigour.
Last edited by Bribase on Dec 25, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Bribase
 
Posts: 2671
Age: 39
Male

Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#9  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 25, 2013 7:36 am

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Bullshit. Do you have anything other to offer here than troll posts?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
User avatar
Calilasseia
RS Donator
 
Posts: 22091
Age: 59
Male

Country: England
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#10  Postby ramseyoptom » Dec 25, 2013 10:47 am

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Funny I have only ever observed indoctrination in respect of religious belief.

Any practicing investigative scientist does their work in the hope of overturning (falsifying) the current paradigm with an expenses paid visit to Stockholm to follow sometime later.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
ramseyoptom
 
Name: Ian
Posts: 1693
Age: 70
Male

Country: Isle of Man
Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#11  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2013 10:58 am

ramseyoptom wrote:
consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Funny I have only ever observed indoctrination in respect of religious belief.

Any practicing investigative scientist does their work in the hope of overturning (falsifying) the current paradigm with an expenses paid visit to Stockholm to follow sometime later.


I think religious people are already in Stockholm given their condition.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#12  Postby ramseyoptom » Dec 25, 2013 11:00 am

Animavore wrote:
ramseyoptom wrote:
consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Funny I have only ever observed indoctrination in respect of religious belief.

Any practicing investigative scientist does their work in the hope of overturning (falsifying) the current paradigm with an expenses paid visit to Stockholm to follow sometime later.


I think religious people are already in Stockholm given their condition.


:lol:
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
User avatar
ramseyoptom
 
Name: Ian
Posts: 1693
Age: 70
Male

Country: Isle of Man
Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#13  Postby Scar » Dec 25, 2013 12:45 pm

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


How about you troll some other place?
Image
User avatar
Scar
 
Name: Michael
Posts: 3967
Age: 34
Male

Country: Germany
Germany (de)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#14  Postby kennyc » Dec 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Calilasseia wrote:
consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Bullshit. Do you have anything other to offer here than troll posts?



Hey! I was going to say that. You stole my response!

:thumbup:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8698
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#15  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2013 1:06 pm

I love the way religious people try to drag science down to the level of religion and then ridicule it on that basis. Always far easier to ridicule silly religious beliefs than established facts, as evidenced by the superfluousness of riotous jokes about religion and the ease of which it becomes material for stand-up comedians.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#16  Postby Moonwatcher » Dec 25, 2013 2:06 pm

consistency wrote:Definition of Indoctrination from wikipedia.
Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology (see doctrine). It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination


I've observed this behavior to be valid. Especially with evolutionary scientists.


Science is about anything but indoctrination and lack of critical examination. It is rather the opposite. It is about facts and evidence. Sorry that those facts and evidence are not supporting your preferred beliefs.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
User avatar
Moonwatcher
 
Posts: 2018
Age: 63
Male

Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#17  Postby consistency » Dec 25, 2013 9:43 pm

Bribase wrote:Along with your other post entitled "Is evolutionary theory false?" This is just cheap journalistic framing, Consistency. You're simply twinning the idea of indoctrination with your own misapprehension of what science is in the vain hope that we don't know better.

Scientific paradigms shift all of the time, Consistency. We've seen that in the revolutionary changes to our conception of modern physics and our understanding of genetics in the last 50 years or so. Both have forced us to reconsider our understandings of the world and to adapt what we previously thought unassailable. It's not difficult to challenge even the most closely guarded scientific principles, as long as you can demonstrate it through rigorous scientific investigation.

Unfortunately, those that complain that their pet theologies aren't accepted into the scientific consensus are not taken seriously because, rather than actually trying to synthesise a sound, rigorous and scientifically accurate mechanism for their design hypothesis they claim that scientists are simply too obstinate. Like you have; Mistaking indoctrination for scientific rigour.


Not at all. I am not against science because science did me wrong. The mindset of the scientific community is wrong. Hence why I strongly believe it is an indoctrination.

I've made a couple of very big world changing discoveries that I will eventually test officially and publish when I get back to Canada. I've made these discoveries BECAUSE scientists have overlooked the results of their studies and they overlooked the results of their studies BECAUSE of their preconceived false beliefs.

In all honesty, there is a lot of made up shit in the scientific community and a lot valid science BUT the made up shit is what ruins the good science. When most scientists accept all the science as valid because they expect everyone to follow the scientific method, it isn't science anymore but a game of telephone where the made up shit is passed around as valid science.
I Observe, therefore, I am.
consistency
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 275

Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#18  Postby Animavore » Dec 25, 2013 9:47 pm

OMG! The hubris and delusion are strong in this one.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#19  Postby Arnold Layne » Dec 25, 2013 10:01 pm

consistency wrote:I've made a couple of very big world changing discoveries that I will eventually test officially and publish when I get back to Canada. I've made these discoveries BECAUSE scientists have overlooked the results of their studies and they overlooked the results of their studies BECAUSE of their preconceived false beliefs.

Fucking brill. I can't wait. You'll announce them first here, I expect!
I'm a Pixiist
User avatar
Arnold Layne
 
Posts: 2711

Country: France
France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: Is "Science" an indoctrination?

#20  Postby consistency » Dec 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Animavore wrote:OMG! The hubris and delusion are strong in this one.

Animavore Belief: I am the best of all possible beings.


Hypocrite? :ask:
I Observe, therefore, I am.
consistency
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 275

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests