Mediums

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Mediums

#221  Postby hackenslash » Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

There is no empirical evidence, only instances of affirming the consequent, the apologist's favourite fallacy.
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21366
Age: 49
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#222  Postby laklak » Nov 06, 2018 3:38 pm

"It doesn't work like that" - every psychic ever when challenged to repeat their self-proclaimed wooshit in front of an audience.

That also works when explaining why nobody has claimed Randi's million bucks.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 18468
Age: 64
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#223  Postby hackenslash » Nov 06, 2018 3:48 pm

I just remembered I did a post about this, coupled with the notion of 'prophecy'.

A bit of fun...

Didn't See That Coming
User avatar
hackenslash
 
Name: The Other Sweary One
Posts: 21366
Age: 49
Male

Country: Republic of Mancunia
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#224  Postby Alan B » Nov 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I remember that BBC program. Bit of a laugh.

The contortions these 'mediums' went through to try to look 'genuine' was so bleeding obvious.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9007
Age: 82
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#225  Postby Wortfish » Nov 11, 2018 8:06 pm

I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 819

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#226  Postby Thommo » Nov 11, 2018 8:52 pm

So, how much does the medium charge per session? And do you get a discount when one of the three "facts" they supply you with is one you say they've supplied you with before? :ask:

Three facts doesn't seem like all that much for a typical half hour or hour long reading, does your medium talk really slowly?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 24580

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#227  Postby Fallible » Nov 11, 2018 9:18 pm

Wortfish wrote:I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.


This is such incredibly lazy trolling. You can't honestly tell me you find this enjoyable.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 47101
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#228  Postby Wortfish » Nov 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Thommo wrote:So, how much does the medium charge per session? And do you get a discount when one of the three "facts" they supply you with is one you say they've supplied you with before? :ask:

Three facts doesn't seem like all that much for a typical half hour or hour long reading, does your medium talk really slowly?


I have paid £30 for half an hour each time. I am now thinking of a fourth reading.

The reading isn't just about confirmatory evidence. There are some other details that I wouldn't know about, such as who met the cat when it passed, predictions about the future and other information.The medium also included a chilling statement, namely that I would be joining my cat SOON in the afterlife. However, he quickly clarified that "soon" could be as much as 20 years or more.

The bed came up also in the second reading because of the attachment of the cat to it.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 819

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#229  Postby Thommo » Nov 11, 2018 9:28 pm

So, predictions about the future you say?
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 24580

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#230  Postby Wortfish » Nov 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.


This is such incredibly lazy trolling. You can't honestly tell me you find this enjoyable.


There is nothing stopping you from getting a reading yourself. But don't expect your atheism to survive the session.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 819

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#231  Postby Thommo » Nov 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Incidentally, this cost thing is a great topic to research, it's easy to find high quality information about what good value for money means in mediumship.

https://www.psychic-readings-guide.com/ ... ding-cost/
Psychic Reading Cost: What Should You Pay?

Really, it’s up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

What I’ve personally found – the sweet spot – is that I can get a quality reading from someone reputable, ethical, and experienced for $120 – $170 for a one hour session.

Cheap? No, but right now it seems to be a typical psychic reading cost.

And when I think of how much it costs me to have my hair cut and colored every two months, it’s not so bad! You shouldn’t be having more than a few readings per year anyway.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 24580

Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#232  Postby Fallible » Nov 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.


This is such incredibly lazy trolling. You can't honestly tell me you find this enjoyable.


There is nothing stopping you from getting a reading yourself. But don't expect your atheism to survive the session.


Either you don't pay attention, orrrrr...you're trolling!!. :awesome:

Otherwise, you know, you'd not assume for a second time that I haven't had a reading. I think it's that you're trolling, because you wanted to make a comment about my atheism not surviving. It doesn't matter to you that I had a reading and yet my atheism survived, because...yep.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 47101
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#233  Postby Fallible » Nov 11, 2018 9:49 pm

Thommo wrote:Incidentally, this cost thing is a great topic to research, it's easy to find high quality information about what good value for money means in mediumship.

https://www.psychic-readings-guide.com/ ... ding-cost/
Psychic Reading Cost: What Should You Pay?

Really, it’s up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

What I’ve personally found – the sweet spot – is that I can get a quality reading from someone reputable, ethical, and experienced for $120 – $170 for a one hour session.

Cheap? No, but right now it seems to be a typical psychic reading cost.

And when I think of how much it costs me to have my hair cut and colored every two months, it’s not so bad! You shouldn’t be having more than a few readings per year anyway.


I charge what dear old Wortfish pretended to pay for a whole hour of counselling, I earn £10 less an hour in my regular job, and I've got concrete evidence that I'm competent, attachment to legally recognised bodies and such. Never mind Wortfish, it's all the poor people who did pay so much to consult charlatans that I feel sorry for.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 47101
Age: 45
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#234  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 11, 2018 10:14 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.


This is such incredibly lazy trolling. You can't honestly tell me you find this enjoyable.


There is nothing stopping you from getting a reading yourself. But don't expect your atheism to survive the session.

My wife and I got a reading some 15 years ago. I was more of a believer then than I am now, not to say the reading had much to do with it. It was pretty clear as day a cold reading. So, I guess that's another one of your bald assertions down the shitter :lol:
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 12386
Age: 38
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#235  Postby Rumraket » Nov 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Wortfish wrote:I have now had the third reading with the spirit of my late cat. These were the take-away points:

1. The cat told the medium I spend too much time in front of my computer screen.

2. He said he had a rough life before I took him in and had to learn to be streetwise quickly.

3. He liked to fight and had a terrifying battle-cry. But he also loved his bed which I put in the shed after his death.

All three are entirely correct statements.

The medium did claim that a birthday or anniversary was coming up, but I didn't understand this. However, the cat may be referring to something I don't actually know anything about. So, I have had three readings now and nearly all the information has been completely accurate. As far as I am concerned, an afterlife is a certain reality and so atheism has been falsified.


This is such incredibly lazy trolling. You can't honestly tell me you find this enjoyable.


There is nothing stopping you from getting a reading yourself. But don't expect your atheism to survive the session.

Because somehow if you can talk to the dead that must mean a divine being exists? Wouldn't it merely entail that something survives death? These questions are rhetorical.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
User avatar
Rumraket
 
Posts: 12994
Age: 37

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Mediums

#236  Postby Wortfish » Nov 12, 2018 12:45 am

Fallible wrote:
Otherwise, you know, you'd not assume for a second time that I haven't had a reading. I think it's that you're trolling, because you wanted to make a comment about my atheism not surviving. It doesn't matter to you that I had a reading and yet my atheism survived, because...yep.

Tell us about your reading(s)! I should point out that not all of my readings were with the same medium...but they reported the same things. I am sure psychics do make some guesses when they don't have enough information at hand, but that's more like filling in the gaps. I am also sure there are a few frauds out there, but there was no way I was being duped. I would have known it.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 819

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#237  Postby Wortfish » Nov 12, 2018 12:46 am

Fallible wrote:
I charge what dear old Wortfish pretended to pay for a whole hour of counselling, I earn £10 less an hour in my regular job, and I've got concrete evidence that I'm competent, attachment to legally recognised bodies and such. Never mind Wortfish, it's all the poor people who did pay so much to consult charlatans that I feel sorry for.

I could have blown the £90 on pot and a hooker. Instead, I got an insight into the otherworld.
User avatar
Wortfish
 
Posts: 819

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#238  Postby laklak » Nov 12, 2018 12:48 am

Damn, weed 'n hoes be cheap where you at.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 18468
Age: 64
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#239  Postby scott1328 » Nov 12, 2018 1:10 am

Wortfish wrote:
Fallible wrote:
I charge what dear old Wortfish pretended to pay for a whole hour of counselling, I earn £10 less an hour in my regular job, and I've got concrete evidence that I'm competent, attachment to legally recognised bodies and such. Never mind Wortfish, it's all the poor people who did pay so much to consult charlatans that I feel sorry for.

I could have blown the £90 on pot and a hooker. Instead, I got an insight into the otherworld.

You would have gotten more out of the pot and hooker.
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8203
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Mediums

#240  Postby Thommo » Nov 12, 2018 1:11 am

Only if you actually believe he spent £90.
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 24580

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest