Navy Pilots Were Seeing UFOs on an Almost Daily Basis

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Navy Pilots Were Seeing UFOs on an Almost Daily Basis

#1  Postby quas » Aug 09, 2019 6:17 pm

Navy Pilots Were Seeing UFOs on an Almost Daily Basis in 2014 and 2015: Report

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/05/ ... eport.html

What do you guys think? Mirage men?
Last edited by quas on Aug 09, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Navy Pilots Were Seeing UFOs on an Almost Daily Basis

#2  Postby Animavore » Aug 09, 2019 6:18 pm

I dunno. Are hallucinations a symptom of syphilis?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby newolder » Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm

It’s Never Aliens—until It Is

2017 was a banner year for scientists seeking aliens—even though they (apparently) didn’t find any

By Lee Billings on January 9, 2018

What do a strangely fading faraway star, an oddly shaped interstellar interloper in the solar system and a curious spate of UFO sightings by members of the U.S. military all have in common?

Of course, military pilots aren’t the only ones with extensive experience looking at objects in the sky—and the equipment to record what they see. Astronomers have that, too—yet they never seem to ever catch UFOs in the viewfinders of their telescopes. Similarly, the increasingly global ubiquity of smartphones should presumably boost the numbers and quality of UFO encounters captured on video (as they have done for rocket launches), but the flood of eerie footage has yet to materialize.

More @ SciAm link
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Aug 09, 2019 6:39 pm

Sightings of Nessie were quite the fashion a few decades earlier. Lots of photos to go with them too.

One of her relatives even made it to Lake Bumbunga, a hundred odd kilometres north of South Australia's capital, Adelaide. I have proof; a photograph I took myself, somewhat out of focus as all such photos have to be. It's tradition.

God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 7:08 pm

I think it's an unidentified flying object*.

Possibly not an object.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 7:13 pm

Hermit wrote:Sightings of Nessie were quite the fashion a few decades earlier. Lots of photos to go with them too.

One of her relatives even made it to Lake Bumbunga, a hundred odd kilometres north of South Australia's capital, Adelaide. I have proof; a photograph I took myself, somewhat out of focus as all such photos have to be. It's tradition.

I'm sorry, but you're clearly not a card carrying cryptozoologist... while you did achieve slightly poor focus - although there's plenty of room here for disimprovement - you made the elementary error of framing the subject in the middle of the picture. You're supposed to barely catch it just on the outside of the image, plus you get bonus points for holding the camera somewhat askew from the horizontal plane.

If you're going to do these things wrong, do them properly wrong, please!
Last edited by Spearthrower on Aug 09, 2019 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » Aug 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Eeeek. Stop it. Stop it at once, I say. Criticisms tyre me out.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby newolder » Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I think it's an unidentified flying object*.

Possibly not an object.

Flying?

If you're going to do these things wrong, do them properly wrong, please!

Ah, I see. :nod:
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Aug 09, 2019 8:01 pm

Birdshit on the gun-cam and the History channel makes an 24 part documentary about it.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 8:04 pm

newolder wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I think it's an unidentified flying object*.

Possibly not an object.

Flying?

Possibly falling, which should be noted is practically the same as flying except for being more of a one off activity.

Also, possibly not doing anything at all.

The one thing I noticed in the videos that have been shown is that they talk about the amazing manoeuvres these things are doing, but on the vids they're just moving in a straight line. The VO also talks about how fast they're moving, but the camera seems to be more than capable of keeping up and staying centred on it.

I'd like to see all the footage though, but from what I have seen so far, I'm not really getting any sense of there being something actually there, or if there is something there, that it's doing anything at all.

But unidentified: that one's indisputable. We don't know what it is, but we know it's aware of us... :scratch:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm

BlackBart wrote:Birdshit on the gun-cam and the History channel makes an 24 part documentary about it.

It does seem something like that. Like eye floaters that move as you look at them. They can move bloody fast too! No matter how fast you move your eyes, those floaters still stay ahead, and they can pull off some wicked turns and sudden stops.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby quas » Aug 10, 2019 1:53 am

Spearthrower wrote:
BlackBart wrote:Birdshit on the gun-cam and the History channel makes an 24 part documentary about it.

It does seem something like that. Like eye floaters that move as you look at them. They can move bloody fast too! No matter how fast you move your eyes, those floaters still stay ahead, and they can pull off some wicked turns and sudden stops.

Navy pilots mistaking eye floaters for UFOs? And mistaking on an almost daily basis?
quas

Print view this post

#13  Postby Hermit » Aug 10, 2019 4:37 am

quas wrote:Navy pilots mistaking eye floaters for UFOs? And mistaking on an almost daily basis?

That's the claim, but I regard the "History Channel" as reputable a source of information as David Icke or the "Above Top Secret" forum, and the man behind the whole show, Luis Elizondo has a somewhat questionable history.

The footage shown in the clip you presented doesn't convince me of anything either. It looks a lot like so many WWII documentaries, which ought to come with some caution like "All Pictures shown are for illustration purpose only. Actual product may vary due to product enhancement."

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 10, 2019 5:17 am

quas wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Navy pilots mistaking eye floaters for UFOs? And mistaking on an almost daily basis?

I didn't say they were eye floaters if you read a little more closely, I said it's LIKE that.

And please, don't use Discovery Channel style arguments because they're really fucking stupid arguments. It doesn't matter if they're Navy Pilots, Astronauts, or any job title... no one has expertise or authority when it comes to saying what unidentified and unidentifiable phenomena like these are - their conclusions are no more credible than a street sweeper's.

Finally, I am skeptical about this notion of 'daily basis'. After FOI releases, there are just a couple of short pieces of footage shown time and again.
Last edited by Spearthrower on Aug 10, 2019 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 10, 2019 5:22 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fight ... d_theories

Pilots do not have sufficient information about phenomena of disorientation, and, as a corollary, are given considerable disorganized, incomplete, and inaccurate information. They are largely dependent upon their own experience, which must supplement and interpret the traditions about "Vertigo" which are passed on to them. When a concept thus grows out of anecdotes cemented together with practical necessity, it is bound to acquire elements of mystery. So far as "vertigo" is concerned, no one really knows more than a small part of the facts, but a great deal of the peril. Since aviators are not skilled observers of human behavior, they usually have only the vaguest understanding of their own feelings. Like other naive persons, therefore, they have simply adopted a term to cover a multitude of otherwise inexplicable events.

Vinacke, Edgar. 8 May 1946. "The Concept of Aviator's 'Vertigo.'" Report No.#7. U.S. Naval School of Aviation Medicine, Project (X-148-Av-4-3). Reprinted in Journal of Aviation Medicine. 1948. 19:158–190

It's funny how in the past, we'd not posit incredible powers of observation and analysis in pilots which is standard Discovery Channel style fare today, and nearly universally the first go-to argument of every would-be alien visitation proponent.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 10, 2019 6:14 am

Navy pilots have gotten less good at identifying flying objects?
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Hermit » Aug 10, 2019 6:38 am

Arcanyn wrote:Navy pilots have gotten less good at identifying flying objects?

Who said navy pilots have gotten less good at identifying flying objects?

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby gobshite » Aug 10, 2019 6:39 am

Maybe it's a case of "to a hammer, everything looks like a nail"...
gobshite

Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 10, 2019 9:23 am

Arcanyn wrote:Navy pilots have gotten less good at identifying flying objects?

Not 'less good' - 'no better' at identifying unidentified objects. Nor will they, because it's not something you can train to become an expert in. You can train to become better at identifying identifiable objects, for example, by looking at pictures of them, noting characteristics, and testing to see how well you perform in identifying them. But despite the Discovery Channel style's routine appeals to authority in these cases, the most authoritative thing anyone can ever say about an unidentified phenomenon is that it is not something readily identifiable, i.e. something that basically anyone could do.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby quas » Aug 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Spearthrower wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_fighter#Explanations_and_theories

Pilots do not have sufficient information about phenomena of disorientation, and, as a corollary, are given considerable disorganized, incomplete, and inaccurate information. They are largely dependent upon their own experience, which must supplement and interpret the traditions about "Vertigo" which are passed on to them. When a concept thus grows out of anecdotes cemented together with practical necessity, it is bound to acquire elements of mystery. So far as "vertigo" is concerned, no one really knows more than a small part of the facts, but a great deal of the peril. Since aviators are not skilled observers of human behavior, they usually have only the vaguest understanding of their own feelings. Like other naive persons, therefore, they have simply adopted a term to cover a multitude of otherwise inexplicable events.

Vinacke, Edgar. 8 May 1946. "The Concept of Aviator's 'Vertigo.'" Report No.#7. U.S. Naval School of Aviation Medicine, Project (X-148-Av-4-3). Reprinted in Journal of Aviation Medicine. 1948. 19:158–190

It's funny how in the past, we'd not posit incredible powers of observation and analysis in pilots which is standard Discovery Channel style fare today, and nearly universally the first go-to argument of every would-be alien visitation proponent.

These are not amateur pilots. They are military pilots. If military pilots can be so mistaken "on a daily basis", then how did they even get accepted as military pilots in the first place?
quas

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking