Oh, what fun!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

Oh, what fun!

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 10, 2010 3:30 pm

Anyone up for some fish shooting in barrels?

I ran into a survivalist forum, survivalmonkey.com.

They have everything there! Gun nuts, anti-vaxers, alternative power, conspiracy theorists, you name it!

For an afternoon of fun, give them a visit! I'm just getting into it with an antivax thread now.

You're welcome.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Oh, what fun!

#2  Postby Ubjon » Jul 10, 2010 4:11 pm

They do make you laugh don't they
Ubjon wrote:Your God is just a pair of lucky underpants.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post6 ... 3b#p675825
Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Ubjon wrote:They do make you laugh don't they

Indeed, they do.

On another thread though, someone wrote an excellent review of a watch I just ordered, and the photos were superb. That's what brought me to their site.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

"If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another." - Carl Sagan
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ubjon » Jul 10, 2010 4:26 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
Ubjon wrote:They do make you laugh don't they

Indeed, they do.

On another thread though, someone wrote an excellent review of a watch I just ordered, and the photos were superb. That's what brought me to their site.

I only read the ones about vacines being evil and how the BP rig going up was a conspiricy to allow Obama to push his green agenda through.

Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

It's on!

#5  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 10, 2010 8:35 pm

So far, I'v already been called a troll and a sheep in an anti-vax thread.

I have no expectations from the members there.

I tell you, it's a smorgasbord of chew toys!
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ubjon » Jul 10, 2010 8:41 pm

That fortunateson is a bit of a drama queen isn't he

Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 10, 2010 9:07 pm

I used to post pretty regularly in my hometown paper (until they went to a paid access model for their online paper) specifically for this kind of mental sport.

In this particular thread, the main argument seems to be they think that personal choice should trump public health. I'm all for personal choice, but not when it affects others. But, I'm not touching that angle yet. It's so far, easier to attack their "factual" presumptions and canards.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Ubjon » Jul 10, 2010 9:11 pm

In my experience that approach either results in silence (A victory of sorts) or a dismissal of the importance of evidence. I see that he's already attacked scientists who work in this field but I doubt he'll allow for any critical review of those who are against vacinnation.

Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Alan C » Jul 10, 2010 9:13 pm

Hmm, last time I did that it was infowars following a lead on Icke [at the time I didn't know about him and the arse-raping space lizards]. I read various bits of drivel on depopulation and antivax but, oddly enough, what convinced me that they're a bunch of loons was an article about Ian Plimer's awful tome of bad climate science 'heaven and earth'. The usual canards came out in the report and in the comments section so I waded in with what I knew. Oh, not only were there a few misinformed deniers but a parade of likely gun-toting survivalists and jebusfreaks [and possibly combinations of the two :shock: ]

Other than a few sane posters trying to talk sense [sometimes getting censored] it is truly a pit of batshit crazy.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 10, 2010 9:51 pm

That place is chock full of gun toting survivalist jeebusfreaks. I'm so happy I found them all in one place. You guys really ought to sign up for when you want a late night snack.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 11, 2010 9:16 pm

And, what a tasty snack it was, too!

I got them to lock the thread. Apparently, they aren't used to vigorous attacks on stupid ideas. I achieved this all without a single warning from the mods. Not a big trick, really. If you can survive the FUA here, other sites are a walk in the park.

To review, it was a thread on their concern that the US Centers for Disease Control is recommending universal vaccinations. Which brought out a two-pronged response from the survivalist nutjob brigade: One, being the typical anti-vax canards based on bad science (or no science, more accurately). The other, their seeming inability to weigh personal freedom of choice against benefit to society as a whole.

The anti-vax canards are trivial to counter. But, as in any dogmatic crowd, they aren't about to be bothered with facts.

The freedom of choice angle is also beyond them. They honestly think they have the right to become a disease vector. Of course, one of them even called it a "god given right" to choose not to vaccinate. Big surprise, there.

Kind of a pity they way they run their site. It looks like they really are unable and unwilling to withstand robust criticism of their ideas, and want to run a forum where everyone kisses each others' asses.

There are some useful, practical, things to be learned there. I will never understand how the valuable trait of self reliance got so intertwined with the dark side, conspiracy theorist, the gub'mint is gonna git me, abject fear.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Ubjon » Jul 11, 2010 9:25 pm

I think this particular brand of nut is endemic to the US. I guess its a combination of lack of education, freedom to bear arms, fundamental christianity and paranoia

Ubjon

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 11, 2010 9:51 pm

That sounds about right to me. Thanks for accompanying me on this little experiment.

While I'm at it, it occurs to me to tip my hat to the staff here. You are doing a fine job, and run our site very well indeed.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Alan C » Jul 12, 2010 8:11 pm

I just read through that anti-vax thread, nicely done. I was disappointed to see no citations for claims they presented and the ethyl mercury bit seemed to go in one ear and out the other.
I might do a bit more lurking.
:plot:
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#15  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 13, 2010 10:41 am

I wouldn't bother registering. They really aren't interested in robust argument or in arriving at the truth in a discussion. Their admin has made this painfully clear to me. It's a site where they are perfectly happy just agreeing with each other, and have neither the inclination or the skills to withstand the calibre of discourse we are accustomed to here. Disappointing that people who effect such courageous fronts are so sensitive to an affront on their ideas.

I thought I'd found a fun place to play. I was mistaken.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby mattthomas » Jul 13, 2010 11:52 am

The_Metatron wrote:I'm just getting into it with an antivax thread now.

You don't happen to be debating with generalsemanticist or nancy malik do you?
That would just pump up the lulz :popcorn:
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must, just don't quit!
mattthomas

Name: Matt
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 13, 2010 12:05 pm

mattwilson wrote:
The_Metatron wrote:I'm just getting into it with an antivax thread now.

You don't happen to be debating with generalsemanticist or nancy malik do you?
That would just pump up the lulz :popcorn:

No, couple of usernames, one called fortunateson, the other UGRev. Really quite disturbing. I think in some circumstances, these guys would be reasonable enough. You might even drink a glass of beer with them. But wow, they are off the deep end on certain topics.

Unfortunateson considered this comment of mine to be ridiculing someone's religious beliefs:

The_Metatron wrote:...Are there people who are really willing to sacrifice the lives of their children for religious beliefs?

My very real children are worth far more to me than that.

He doesn't know what ridiculing religion is.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Only 11 members on line and 214 guests!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
[/i]
Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#19  Postby The_Metatron » Jul 13, 2010 12:54 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Only 11 members on line and 214 guests!

It's still early in the US, though.
My blog, Skepdick.eu

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Well I am always amazed at the number of Americans here.
A different breed ofcourse :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
[/i]
Scot Dutchy

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking