On aliens, the paranormal and other stuff

Collated from various threads

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Jerry Kroth

#81  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 19, 2020 2:24 pm

What so bad about researching these things? I've seen a few attempts at debunks. Just not good enough imo. (I could be wrong, I'm aware of that :) )
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 19, 2020 2:29 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with researching these things if you enjoy it. But if you want to claim that something is a valid piece of information you've got to show it. There's no point in trying to debunk things that don't do the job of establishing themselves in the first place.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Praveen Mohan

#83  Postby laklak » Jun 19, 2020 2:32 pm

I love the smell of nerd thighs in the morning.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#84  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 19, 2020 2:33 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Now you can smell me through the internet? Strange. Lols

It's not as difficult as you might think.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#85  Postby Fallible » Jun 19, 2020 3:03 pm

laklak wrote:I love the smell of nerd thighs in the morning.

And the piquant scent of fingers in electric sockets.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#86  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 19, 2020 4:18 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with researching these things if you enjoy it. But if you want to claim that something is a valid piece of information you've got to show it. There's no point in trying to debunk things that don't do the job of establishing themselves in the first place.

There's your huckleberry.

Knowledge is not increased by debunking shit.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Blackadder » Jun 21, 2020 10:01 pm

CRITICAL. FUCKING. THINKING.

Because otherwise you're just a village idiot with internet access.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 22, 2020 4:39 am

Yeh but, at around 6:48 he explains that he's tried to find the evidence / documents of any renovation. And because he can't (even if it does exist) - there's no evidence to suggest otherwise.
And is it really too hard for people ~2k years ago to make a bike? Is it really too far fetched?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#89  Postby BlackBart » Jun 22, 2020 3:07 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Yeh but, at around 6:48 he explains that he's tried to find the evidence / documents of any renovation. And because he can't (even if it does exist) - there's no evidence to suggest otherwise.

Burden of Proof.
Occam's Razor.

And is it really too hard for people ~2k years ago to make a bike? Is it really too far fetched?

Who is claiming was too hard? Who is claiming it's too far fetched?

See above. If the claim is they did, then the claimant needs to produce some robust evidence. A claim doesn't get to be true by default, so the oness isn't on anyone else to provide evidence that it isn't.

In short; do your own fucking homework.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: THE CONNECTED UNIVERSE FILM

#90  Postby laklak » Jun 23, 2020 3:57 am

You can't prove they're not all not fake.

Anyway, aliens.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Red Elk

#91  Postby JustStarDust » Jun 23, 2020 6:19 am

True. I've been asking myself 'what is proof', and 'what is evidence'?

A paper done by a doctor?
A photo?
A video of the whole thing?
A witness testimony?
Some random person in a forum?
Experience?

Critical thinking, pretty much says 'no'. But at the same time, you all believe something for a reason - a document / paper from a doctor, a photo, a video a testimony & some random person on a forum, and experience.
I've seen things happen right in front of me, which made me question certain things. And I SO wish, that I had filmed it at least. But then, it's only a video, which could be faked - so, basically pointless to even try and prove something to be true?

Who are these people, to believe? Who is acting as the foundation of a belief? James Randi? Derren Brown? Robert Anton Wilson?
So many names for the list.

So then, we come to the argument of 'do your own research'. Basically abandoning the theory of helping people? I know you guys & gals can do better than this. Try not to be so bitter. You'd better get used to users on the forum, asking questions.

...to confirm what we already know.

Do you speak for the whole forum, especially BlackBart?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#92  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 6:30 am

JustStarDust wrote:
I've seen things happen right in front of me, which made me question certain things.

How vaguely specific.

Who is acting as the foundation of a belief? James Randi? Derren Brown? Robert Anton Wilson?

The sort of list I'd expect to see someone who thinks it's handed down From On High to write.

So then, we come to the argument of 'do your own research'. Basically abandoning the theory of helping people? I know you guys & gals can do better than this. Try not to be so bitter. You'd better get used to users on the forum, asking questions.

Oh, we're pretty well used to it. And we're pretty good at spotting JAQing off. And, having pointed it out, we've got a pretty good idea of where it tends to go from there.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#93  Postby Blackadder » Jun 23, 2020 8:38 pm

So let’s examine the modus operandi.

Find some pseudoscience shit on Youtool.
Post link on here.
Ask “should I believe it”.
Rinse and repeat.

Kinda tiresome. And intellectually bankrupt.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 9:55 pm

JustStarDust wrote:True. I've been asking myself 'what is proof', and 'what is evidence'?

A photo?
A witness testimony?
Experience?

Critical thinking, pretty much says 'no'. But at the same time, you all believe something for a reason - a document / paper from a doctor, a photo, a video a testimony & some random person on a forum, and experience.
I've seen things happen right in front of me, which made me question certain things. And I SO wish, that I had filmed it at least. But then, it's only a video, which could be faked - so, basically pointless to even try and prove something to be true?

Who are these people, to believe? Who is acting as the foundation of a belief? James Randi? Derren Brown? Robert Anton Wilson?

Oh good, another one who thinks he can determine emotion over the Internet. Bonus point - one that thinks people who have seen it all come and go through here over a decade ‘better get used to users on the forum,[sic] asking questions.’ Do me a favour, Einstein. Switch your brain on and shut your ridiculous cake hole.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#95  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 24, 2020 2:16 am

JustStarDust wrote:True. I've been asking myself 'what is proof', and 'what is evidence'?

A photo?
A witness testimony?
Experience?

How could you possibly trust any answer given to your last question? You are demonstrating a keen inability to detect bullshit. You wouldn't be able to evaluate any answer for truth.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby The_Piper » Jun 24, 2020 6:41 am

JustStarDust wrote:

No, but most of the people here also aren't going to be motivated to listen to this based on zero compelling evidence. I'm about 99.9% sure that includes Black Bart in this instance. If all you have is Coast to Coast material, forget it. I'm familiar with Coast to Coast, it comes on after midnight in Maine, and I've listened to it as like a character study while driving home. Occasionally there's a legit guest and I enjoy it. The last time I heard it, it was Seth Shostak as the guest. I didn't hear Art ask him about the crushed pewter ufo crap, though maybe I missed that. Let me speak for Seth Shostak now, and say, this smells fishy. :lol:
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#97  Postby BlackBart » Jun 24, 2020 4:35 pm

99.89recurring
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: How To Think Critically

#98  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 08, 2020 1:07 pm

What would you do, if you saw something 'amazing'?

For example, if you did see an alien spacecraft, land in front of you and a little green man (or woman) come out and says something in a strange language, then gets back into the craft & takes off into the sky - would you tell anyone?
Let's also say that you had no time to take a photo, and you're in a location where there's nobody else around.

I'm starting to think that, it's best not to tell anyone. If you have no evidence, then you're crazy or mislead, drunk or stoned?

It's best for people to find the truth out themselves.

:shhh:
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#99  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Thank God you're not a lawyer, Metatron.

(I'm not a lawyer though, just to be clear.)

...And what is the point of a 'general debunking' forum, if not to, generally debunk?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Re: How To Think Critically

#100  Postby felltoearth » Jul 08, 2020 2:17 pm

I would tell people but I wouldn’t expect them to believe it without evidence. And no, personal experience and testimony alone is not evidence.

ETA Sorry to clarify, yes it is evidence that I experienced “something.” Any other claim though would require further evidence, i.e that the creatures were extraterrestrial, that it isn’t an elaborate hoax, etc.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking