Parallel Selves?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Parallel Selves?

#1  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 7:40 pm

This is taken from skeptics forum:

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26169

What are your thoughts about that story?

Many years ago when I first moved to Wyoming, I became good friends with Jim, my next-door neighbor. After a couple years I moved out of the neighborhood and we lost track of each other.

I ran into Jim again at a party about four years ago. We were having a friendly chat when I mentioned the time we were next-door neighbors. A blank look came over his face. He said he’d never lived in that house. In fact, he said, he didn’t even know me back then. I was stunned and speechless.

Seth, as channelled by Jane Roberts, talks about our multidimensional selves. That is, we live in parallel realities, not just the one we’re currently aware of. Seth even encourages us to play with switching our awareness, focusing among our various selves and realities.

That doesn’t fully explain to me what happened at that party four years ago. Obviously I’d experienced two parallel realities—two realities that were virtually identical except for one difference. In one reality Jim and I lived next door to each other, and in the other we did not.
I’m not sure how or why that happened. But it doesn’t really matter to me now. As my spirit guides often say, just be in the present moment. Just experience all the joy, peace, and power of this now-moment. It’s all we have.
Alexander1304

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Parallel Selves?

#2  Postby catbasket » Oct 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Alexander1304 wrote:What are your thoughts about that story?

I think it's bollocks, like just about everything else you ask for opinions on.
catbasket

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:03 pm

catbasket wrote:

Ok,now I got reputation for posting bolloks.Fair enough
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Oct 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Jim was lying. Parsimony.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:11 pm

laklak wrote:Jim was lying. Parsimony.

I cannot understand this story.Suddenly he awakes in parallel reality,where his friend didn't live?Makes no sense to me...
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Alexander1304 wrote:
catbasket wrote:

Ok,now I got reputation for posting bolloks.Fair enough

Only in this reality.

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Oct 30, 2015 8:24 pm

What's not to understand? Doesn't look like quantum mechanics to me. His buddy Jim claimed he never lived in that house and they didn't know each other back then. So, two explanations spring to mind. 1) Jim is lying 2) the author is mistaken. There could be other, less likely explanations. For instance, the author may have been thinking of someone else. Or Jim may have had a stroke and lost that portion of his memory. The author could be a schizophrenic, or in a fugue state.

But the explanation that makes the most sense, to me, is he's been living in completely undetectable parallel universes that he moves unconsciously back and forth between. What else could it be? None of the other explanations make sense, right? Nobody lies, nobody is ever mistaken, nobody has a stroke or mental illness. So it MUST be parallel universes. Besides, his "spirit guides" are advising him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I just thought of another explanation. A secret government agency kidnapped him, wiped his memory, and turned him into an amnesiac killing machine, waiting for his activation code to wreak havoc on our enemies.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:34 pm

laklak wrote:What's not to understand? Doesn't look like quantum mechanics to me. His buddy Jim claimed he never lived in that house and they didn't know each other back then. So, two explanations spring to mind. 1) Jim is lying 2) the author is mistaken. There could be other, less likely explanations. For instance, the author may have been thinking of someone else. Or Jim may have had a stroke and lost that portion of his memory. The author could be a schizophrenic, or in a fugue state.

But the explanation that makes the most sense, to me, is he's been living in completely undetectable parallel universes that he moves unconsciously back and forth between. What else could it be? None of the other explanations make sense, right? Nobody lies, nobody is ever mistaken, nobody has a stroke or mental illness. So it MUST be parallel universes. Besides, his "spirit guides" are advising him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I just thought of another explanation. A secret government agency kidnapped him, wiped his memory, and turned him into an amnesiac killing machine, waiting for his activation code to wreak havoc on our enemies.

You are joking,right?
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Dr Laklak never jokes.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby laklak » Oct 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah, I was joking. No way it could be a fugue state.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby chairman bill » Oct 30, 2015 8:44 pm

Alexander1304 wrote:You are joking,right?

There's no punchline. Clearly not a joke.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:46 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Alexander1304 wrote:You are joking,right?

There's no punchline. Clearly not a joke.

Ok,and what is your opinion on the stuff?
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#13  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Here is another story from the same site:

Oh boy, have I ever! I used to walk home from work years ago. It was about a 20 minute walk. One evening my teenage daughter met me at work and walked home with me, wanting to talk to me privately about an experience she had had. This desire to share was very out of character for her, never happened previously, and never happened again since. I distinctly remember that as we walked home from my place of work my daughter told me about a rather private incident that I won’t relate here.

About 12 years have passed. Recently I mentioned how amazed I was at that time that she had shared such personal information with me. She now claims she absolutely never told me anything at all about it. Believe me, the nature of the conversation back then had been such that I can’t imagine either of us ever forgetting!….and yet somehow I can relate to her some details that I could not possibly know unless she herself had actually told me about them!

My daughter so strongly believes that she never told me any such thing that I decided to just drop the subject and never mention it again. I’ve chalked it up to alternate realities.
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#14  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 8:50 pm

Alexander1304 wrote:
laklak wrote:What's not to understand? Doesn't look like quantum mechanics to me. His buddy Jim claimed he never lived in that house and they didn't know each other back then. So, two explanations spring to mind. 1) Jim is lying 2) the author is mistaken. There could be other, less likely explanations. For instance, the author may have been thinking of someone else. Or Jim may have had a stroke and lost that portion of his memory. The author could be a schizophrenic, or in a fugue state.

You are joking,right?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 8:53 pm

Alexander1304 wrote:Here is another story from the same site:

Oh boy, have I ever! I used to walk home from work years ago. It was about a 20 minute walk. One evening my teenage daughter met me at work and walked home with me, wanting to talk to me privately about an experience she had had. This desire to share was very out of character for her, never happened previously, and never happened again since. I distinctly remember that as we walked home from my place of work my daughter told me about a rather private incident that I won’t relate here.

About 12 years have passed. Recently I mentioned how amazed I was at that time that she had shared such personal information with me. She now claims she absolutely never told me anything at all about it. Believe me, the nature of the conversation back then had been such that I can’t imagine either of us ever forgetting!….and yet somehow I can relate to her some details that I could not possibly know unless she herself had actually told me about them!

My daughter so strongly believes that she never told me any such thing that I decided to just drop the subject and never mention it again. I’ve chalked it up to alternate realities.

Is it a forum for amnesiacs? :think:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 8:56 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:
Alexander1304 wrote:Here is another story from the same site:

Is it a forum for amnesiacs? :think:

No,for opinions
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#17  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 9:03 pm

Oh well, that's ok. Everyone is entitled to opinions, but why you keep posting these opinions on here is beyond me.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Alexander1304 » Oct 30, 2015 9:05 pm

I want to hear opinions of people here, on forum.Want that somebody will tell that it doesn't prove anything
Alexander1304

Print view this post

#19  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 9:19 pm

OK.

It doesn't prove anything. :thumbup:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#20  Postby laklak » Oct 30, 2015 9:22 pm

You didn't seriously think it did prove something, did you?
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking