Parallel Shelves

Is it even possible?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Parallel Shelves

#1  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 10:09 pm

I've tried putting up shelves which are parallel to each other. I've heard on another forum that several people have had experiences of parallel shelves, shelves which are so parallel that they can only be created by a supernatural force. Indeed, I believe that parallel shelves can only be created by those that truly have faith, as I certainly fucking can't do it, even though I have bought all the relevant earthly diy gear from the stores.

Can you help me debunk parallel shelves?
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Parallel Shelves

#2  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2015 10:10 pm

:rofl:

eta - actually spluttered beer on to the keyboard!
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 30, 2015 10:29 pm

I thought you were on Old Rosie? :?
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby campermon » Oct 30, 2015 10:33 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:I thought you were on Old Rosie? :?

For hangover limitation purposes, I have transferred to lager and gin!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 30, 2015 11:08 pm

I don't think local spacetime curvature will allow it Arnold, but I commend your effort.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby laklak » Oct 31, 2015 2:44 am

We talking Euclidean or non-Euclidean here?

FFS define your terms, man!
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Arcanyn » Oct 31, 2015 2:50 am

I don't think the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle allows it. If you did have two shelves which were parallel, this would entail knowing their precise position relative to each other, which means there would be great uncertainty as to their relative momentum. As such, they will inevitably move and end up not parallel.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Blackadder » Oct 31, 2015 7:42 am

It IS possible to have parallel shelves. But this is an unstable state of nature as it violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, i.e. that a closed room will tend towards a greater state of entropy over time. You've heard of gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. There is a fifth one, which I like to call "wall-plug". This exotic phenomenon may permit shelves to reach a state of parallelism but this cannot be sustained. A bit like quantum physics, Wall-Plug Theory cannot accommodate gravity. There's a Nobel prize in home improvement waiting for the first person to overcome this problem.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Blip » Oct 31, 2015 8:15 am

Blackadder wrote:It IS possible to have parallel shelves. But this is an unstable state of nature as it violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics, i.e. that a closed room will tend towards a greater state of entropy over time. You've heard of gravity, electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. There is a fifth one, which I like to call "wall-plug". This exotic phenomenon may permit shelves to reach a state of parallelism but this cannot be sustained. A bit like quantum physics, Wall-Plug Theory cannot accommodate gravity. There's a Nobel prize in home improvement waiting for the first person to overcome this problem.

Given the arguments caused by home improvement [sic] I think the Nobel awaiting is the Peace Prize.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2015 11:16 am

campermon wrote:

It didn't work.

:nono:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Blip » Oct 31, 2015 11:20 am

campermon wrote:
campermon wrote:

It didn't work.

Put up some shelves: that'll see you right! :cheers:
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2015 11:22 am

:lol:

They won't be parallel!
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 31, 2015 12:49 pm

Look, you lot. The man at B&Q said that he has testimonials from many satisfied customers that they have put up shelves that were parallel and have remained so your the rest of their lives, i.e. their shelf life.

If many people say it is so then the phenomenon cannot be ignored. All your silly physics theories must be false.
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2015 1:03 pm

'The man at B&Q' ?? :nono:

You need to use reliable sources - like the bloke at HomeBase.

:coffee:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby campermon » Oct 31, 2015 1:16 pm

bump - for screenshot poiporses...
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby kennyc » Oct 31, 2015 1:29 pm

One word: Dark Energy

oh wait, that was two words.....

but one world
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 31, 2015 1:30 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:Look, you lot. The man at B&Q said that he has testimonials from many satisfied customers that they have put up shelves that were parallel and have remained so your the rest of their lives, i.e. their shelf life.

If many people say it is so then the phenomenon cannot be ignored. All your silly physics theories must be false.

If it was Gord at B&Q fair enough but I'm not just taking anyone's word for it. Has to Be Gord.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#18  Postby monkeyboy » Oct 31, 2015 1:31 pm

campermon wrote:
campermon wrote:

It didn't work.

Gin breaks my head better than a cleaver if I mix in one drop of other alcohol in a session. Ees nasty.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Oct 31, 2015 1:32 pm

Adam and Eve had parallel shelves, till they disobeyed the Lord their God, and now we can't have them any more. Thanks, assholes.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Arnold Layne » Oct 31, 2015 5:44 pm

campermon wrote:'The man at B&Q' ?? :nono:

You need to use reliable sources - like the bloke at HomeBase.

:coffee:

He said he was an expert in the matter. He said "Don't go to Homebase, they don't know anything about it!"

Actually, I'm not certain about this at all. But I reckon that's a good thing. I mean, Heisenberg was very uncertain, but it seems he's right, Einstein was relatively certain, but then we can't reconcile gravity with QM, and Newton was absolutely certain, and it turns out he was wrong.

Arnold's Uncertainty Principle, which states that the more certain you are of something, the less likely it is to be true.

And that includes parallel shelves! :smoke:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking