Quantum physics abuse

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Quantum physics abuse

#1  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Sep 15, 2018 7:02 pm

Quantum Physics: Few people understand it, but many don't use correctly.

Quantum Physics is one the least understood branches of Physics out there. While many understand basic physics, many don't seem to get quantum. Many abuse it, leading to misunderstandings. This especially true in New Age, where quantum, is basically thrown around like magic (which, in New Age terms, it pretty much is). This leads to the phenomena known as quantum physics abuse, where the person in question abuses it to their advantage, not even understanding what is and using it incorrectly.
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Quantum physics abuse

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Tim Peake.
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Re: Quantum physics abuse

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 16, 2018 5:43 pm

"Respected" physicists like Michio bloodclot Kaku don't help - in fact they hurt, to entice the woo-heads and sell more books. They also give Deepak Chopra respect and interviews. Excerpt taken from here:

DC: You know the more I hear about quantum entanglement it sounds like a mathematical description of omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence.

MK: Well actually there is a way that we physicists get into the whole question of an omnipotent being. The quantum theory says that an object exists in multiple states until you look at it. So, I’m looking at you but you exist in multiple states.

DC: Multiple probability clouds hovering around nuclei that are also probability clouds.

MK: Right. In one universe I have a twin brother, in another universe I have a sister, neither of which exist. In another I went to a different college, in another universe I’m a rock star, I’m not a physicist. Then we begin to ask...

DC: So in essence in the most fundamental state, you are a field of possibilities?

MK: Right. And...

DC: And infinite possibilities, right?

MK: So who determines whether I’m a bum, whether I’m homeless, whether I’m a professor of theoretical physics. Someone has to look at me says Neils Bohr. By looking at you, your wave function collapses and you exist in a definite state.

DC: So not only Neils Bohr, but I believe Eugene Wigner and John Wheeler. They all say...

MK: Many Nobel laureates.

DC: Are they saying the physical universe would not exist unless there were conscious sentient beings looking at it?

MK: That’s what it leads to. Their theory says that I exist because you look at me, somebody looks at you so you exist, so who looks at her? Who looks at us? Well, God. So Eugene Wigner who helped to build the Atomic Bomb, one of the founders of the quantum theory, in his autobiography said this is the proof of the existence of some kind of omniscient being i.e. God.
"Jesus had a bad weekend for our sins." - Julia Sweeney
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Return to General Debunking