Science is a system of beliefs.

exposing the religion within the scientific community.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Science is a system of beliefs.

#241  Postby laklak » Feb 07, 2015 6:17 pm

Chew toys are so shoddy these days, a couple of days and they're gone.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#242  Postby BlackBart » Feb 07, 2015 6:18 pm

campermon wrote:
jamest wrote:Oh dear, no more thumbs ups for me. :waah:

Up where?

:what:

I suspect a Len Fairclough joke would be inappropriate at this point.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#243  Postby campermon » Feb 07, 2015 6:23 pm

BlackBart wrote:
campermon wrote:

Up where?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm old enough to appreciate that joke. Not literally mind. :?
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#244  Postby campermon » Feb 07, 2015 6:25 pm

laklak wrote:Chew toys are so shoddy these days, a couple of days and they're gone.

Unfortunately, yes.

They tend to rack up umpteen reports in a matter of hours. Perhaps when the next one rocks up they should be indulged?

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#245  Postby hackenslash » Feb 07, 2015 7:03 pm

BlackBart wrote:
campermon wrote:

Up where?

Not just Len Fairclough. Remember what Dara O'Briain said about K9 when he was on Stargazing Live?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#246  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 07, 2015 7:07 pm

campermon wrote:
laklak wrote:Chew toys are so shoddy these days, a couple of days and they're gone.

Unfortunately, yes.

They tend to rack up umpteen reports in a matter of hours. Perhaps when the next one rocks up they should be indulged?

:cheers:

Only if they do a better job of it. This one was particularly weak and boring. Made for a nice bar though :beer:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#247  Postby Sloth on Wheels » Apr 11, 2015 6:17 am

I realize that the OP holder is banned. I just find it amusing that you can come up with a number like 95% for what has yet to be discovered in a universe of unknown proportions and shape. We would know its exact proportions at least, if we knew for sure that we have discovered exactly 5%!

Anyway, if you believe in multiverse theory and endless regression, then we have discovered exactly nada of substance. A lot of scientists know this, unlike the ancient biblical interpretations where the "science" is fixed in stone with watery universes and such, and smells and awful lot like Babylonian cosmology pre-dating the old testament.
Sloth on Wheels

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#248  Postby BlackBart » Apr 11, 2015 9:04 am

Sloth on Wheels wrote:I realize that the OP holder is banned. I just find it amusing that you can come up with a number like 95% for what has yet to be discovered in a universe of unknown proportions and shape. We would know its exact proportions at least, if we knew for sure that we have discovered exactly 5%!

I think what the individual in the OP was trying to say that, because the dark energy and matter that accounts for 95% of everything in the universe is "undetectable", science uses faith as much as religions that believes in an "undetectable" god.
Unfortunately for this hapless dimwit, this ignores the fact that they are detectable due to the behaviour of galaxies and the observed expansion of the universe.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Sloth on Wheels » Apr 11, 2015 9:19 am

BlackBart wrote:
Sloth on Wheels wrote:I realize that the OP holder is banned. I just find it amusing that you can come up with a number like 95% for what has yet to be discovered in a universe of unknown proportions and shape. We would know its exact proportions at least, if we knew for sure that we have discovered exactly 5%!

I think what the individual in the OP was trying to say that, because the dark energy and matter that accounts for 95% of everything in the universe is "undetectable", science uses faith as much as religions that believes in an "undetectable" god.
Unfortunately for this hapless dimwit, this ignores the fact that they are detectable due to the behaviour of galaxies and the observed expansion of the universe.

Yea you may be right on that interpretation, it should still be 95% of the known universe, tho. We still have a bit of inspection to do, and there may well be..

Sloth on Wheels

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#250  Postby BlackBart » Apr 11, 2015 9:33 am

Sloth on Wheels wrote:
Yea you may be right on that interpretation, it should still be 95% of the known universe, tho.

Indeed. But expecting 'Christ David' to use precise, non-equivocal language would be akin to expecting a chimpanzee to use the right knife and fork at a dinner party.

We still have a bit of inspection to do, and there may well be..

I expect so. I'm pretty sure there are some pretty jaw dropping facts out there waiting to be known. Just have to ignore the fundies waving their smelly security blanket in our faces while we search for them.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#251  Postby hackenslash » Apr 11, 2015 10:33 am

Pretty sure there are some jaw-dropping facts out there that we know already but that haven't yet been grasped by the world at large...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#252  Postby BlackBart » Apr 11, 2015 10:49 am

Bugger the world at large, if they're slow on the uptake, that's not my problem. I want my jaw dropped a least once a day and twice on Tuesdays! :snooty: :shifty:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#253  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 11, 2015 1:27 pm

You want a jaw dropping fact : a man that can conduct a million
volts of electricity and not get a shock so if you know the answer
keep it to yourself just to see if those who do not can work it out
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#254  Postby BlackBart » Apr 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I'll keep that one to myself then, along with my resolutely undropped jaw.

For those not playing along at home...
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#255  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 11, 2015 2:31 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:You want a jaw dropping fact : a man that can conduct a million
volts of electricity and not get a shock so if you know the answer
keep it to yourself just to see if those who do not can work it out

Bullshit. Nothing conducts voltage. Electrons in motion is called current. Amperage.

Voltage is only a measure of the difference in electrical potential.

Live humans are good for a few tenths of an ampere of current, no more. Dead humans could conduct more, but only until they heated up and dried out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#256  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 11, 2015 3:44 pm

You obviously arrived at that conclusion without thinking at all of a single logical reason as to why someone can become a human Faraday cage. And as such you not so much got the answer wrong as failed to provide one at all so have another go and think this time because I have seen this experiment being conducted as have others also and so it is perfectly genuine
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#257  Postby hackenslash » Apr 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Interesting! A brand new technique for you mate, taking on an electrical engineer of many years experience on the topic of voltage.

'Scuse me while I grab a shovel, as this could get messy.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#258  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 11, 2015 4:00 pm

Who necromanced this trainwreck of a thread?

I tried explaining some elementary facts to the banned troll, in a manner that even the most fuckwitted devotee of self-marination in apologetics should be able to understand, but he simply demonstrated through his responses, that he belonged to the troll category known as Ferrous Cranus.

Sadly, he wasn't the first of his ilk, and he won't be the last. Fundamentalist strands of Christianity in America, are a particularly fertile breeding ground for fucktard cockmonkeys exhibiting the requisite aetiology on a grand scale, courtesy of the manner in which said fundamentalist strands operate on the basis of insisting that their peculiar interpretation of mythology purportedly constitutes The TruthTM. As a corollary of instilling this fanciful notion in the minds of adherents, along with a masturbation-fantasy level of obsession not only for listening to the requisite apologetics, but disseminating them, these ultra-outré occupiers of tight orbits around their requisite ideological stars, have a habit of producing followers that set off every Geiger counter within a disturbingly wide radius, as a direct result of having been irradiated with doctrinal particles boasting positively supersymmetric levels of energy, combined with large duplicity quantum numbers.

When one thinks of the productive work that could be performed with the energy wasted on making shit up, then trying to peddle said made up shit as fact to the rest of the world, in the manner that is all too frequently observed amongst supernaturalists, it's not difficult to conclude that religions, encouraging this process and presenting it as purportedly constituting a "virtue", really are a fucking disease.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#259  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 11, 2015 5:16 pm

hackenslash wrote:
A brand new technique for you mate taking on an electrical engineer of many years experience on the topic of voltage

I asked the question to see if any one could come up with the answer no more no less
I do not take people on as that is not my modus operandi as you should know by now
I am interested in ideas not individuals and so I leave that emotional stuff for others
May be you your self could attempt an answer if you do not actually know what it is
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#260  Postby hackenslash » Apr 11, 2015 5:22 pm

It's been answered. Correctly.
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking