Science is a system of beliefs.

exposing the religion within the scientific community.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Science is a system of beliefs.

#1  Postby Christ David » Feb 04, 2015 8:24 am

did they find the 95% missing mass of the universe yet?
they kind of need it for their equations to fit. for science to be credible. you know.
the theory of everything relies on people believing in something that cant be "detected".

"undetectable matter and/or undetectable energy" needs to exist,
and people need to Believe in its existence for science to be Real.

which would require "faith".
sound familiar?
im a really popular topic at the secret society conventions
Christ David
Banned Troll

Name: Christ David
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Science is a system of beliefs.

#2  Postby THWOTH » Feb 04, 2015 8:37 pm

:coffee:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Christ David wrote:did they find the 95% missing mass of the universe yet?
they kind of need it for their equations to fit. for science to be credible. you know.
the theory of everything relies on people believing in something that cant be "detected".

sound familiar?

Yes, I hear this sort of scientifically illiterate tripe all the time.

Do yourself a favor: read a real book, and get a hobby besides trolling.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ironclad » Feb 04, 2015 8:41 pm

For one thing, with '95% of the universe missing' we are all in the shit, not just the scientists. :lol:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby campermon » Feb 04, 2015 8:41 pm

THWOTH wrote::coffee:

i find your lack of faith disturbing...
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby epepke » Feb 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Yeah, :coffee:

People like to say this, and it's pointless to argue. There is a point to pointing out that it's a nonscientific statement.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mattthomas » Feb 04, 2015 8:45 pm

sound familiar?

Scientists being able to find 5% of the universe after a few hundred years certainly wins over nobody EVER finding 1% of a god... in thousands of years.

Such utter ballsnot
mattthomas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Christ David » Feb 04, 2015 8:59 pm

stick to the topic at hand.

the most advance scientific theories use equations which do not work.

so they invented an invisible existence that cannot be detected to try to fit their model.

instead of admitting that they are using the wrong systems, they keep trying to invent theories or 'make-it-up' as they go along.

its clearly obvious that trying to describe the universe with finite measurements or equations based on finite numbers is not working.

when will they give up?
Christ David
Banned Troll

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Christ David » Feb 04, 2015 9:00 pm

furthermore,

you cant make the assumptions that physical senses and physical observations can describe a universe which has not been proven to be only physical
Christ David
Banned Troll

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby THWOTH » Feb 04, 2015 9:03 pm

Can we have some evidence for the non-physical component of the universe please?

campermon wrote:
THWOTH wrote::coffee:

i find your lack of faith disturbing...

Amen to that. ;)

I don't need faith - and besides, 95% of the universe isn't missing: we know it's there, we just don't know exactly what it is yet.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby chairman bill » Feb 04, 2015 9:05 pm

That's right. We're human, and our best guesses, when tested, often turn out to be wrong. Scientists accept that. But scientists don't give up, they come up with new explanations for the data, test those, reject the ones that don't fit, and tentatively accept those that do. Until new data comes along, then they do it all again, gradually refining our knowledge, learning new facts, and learning new questions to ask.

Then we've got those fuckwits who think some Bronze Age goat herders knew it all, 'cos a magic man in the sky told them.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Oh look, another supernaturalist steps up to the plate with the usual predictable canards. Yawn.

Actually, if you had bothered to read any actual physics textbooks, or actual scientific papers on the subject, you would have learned that the "missing mass" required to account for galaxy rotation is rather less. Oh, and you might find this university lecture a useful guide to the subject.

As for dark energy, which is required to drive accelerated cosmological expansion, well the study of this is still in its infancy, and since the requisite research takes finite time to complete, it does seem, to those of us who understand this, churlish in the extreme to whinge and bleat because that finite time required hasn't yet elapsed.

Christ David wrote:they kind of need it for their equations to fit. for science to be credible. you know.

Hmm, according to that university lecture I linked you to, the evidence for dark matter is now pretty solid. Your non-point being?

Christ David wrote:the theory of everything relies on people believing in something that cant be "detected".

Poppycock. It can be detected, courtesy of its gravitational influence. Read that lecture and learn how.

Christ David wrote:"undetectable matter and/or undetectable energy"

Figments of your woefully inadequate apologetic imagination.

Christ David wrote:needs to exist

You have it completely wrong. You see, what happens in science is this. Scientists postulate the existence of entities, and then they go and look for the evidence that said entities exist, and behave in accordance with the postulated rules for those entities. If they don't find that evidence, it's back to the drawing board, and time to devise some new postulates. if they do find that evidence, they build on that success. Unlike religion, which continues to pretend that unsupported assertions purportedly dictate how reality behaves, regardless of whether or not reality agrees with this (and frequently,we've found it doesn't).

Christ David wrote:and people need to Believe in its existence for science to be Real.

Bollocks. See above for how science actually works, as opposed to your fatuous caricature thereof. Though the regulars here are used to ignorant supernaturalist caricatures of this sort being peddled.

Christ David wrote:which would require "faith".

Wrong. See above. What we actually require is data. Which then tells us whether our hypotheses are falsified, in which case it's back to the drawing board, or whether those hypotheses are supported, in which case, we build upon that success. Do learn the elementary concepts, before posting manifest drivel.

Christ David wrote:sound familiar?

Yes. It's known to us as "yawn, more strawman caricatures, canards and ignorance-driven bullshit from people who prefer mythological assertions to hard empirical evidence".

Here's a clue for you. We leave belief and faith to people who still think there's an invisible magic man in the sky, despite 5,000 years of supernaturalist failure to provide an atom of evidence for this.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, my faith has been severely shaken. :roll:

I noticed the (re)appearance of Christ a few days ago, and I really was hoping for better.

Oh well.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#14  Postby chairman bill » Feb 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:Well, my faith has been severely shaken. :roll:

I noticed the (re)appearance of Christ a few days ago, and I really was hoping for better.

Oh well.

Oh you need to see what he can do with a piece of bread & some fishes
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Christ David wrote:stick to the topic at hand.

You're not in a position to dictate to the rest of us. Learn this quickly.

Christ David wrote:the most advance scientific theories use equations which do not work.

Poppycock. Oh wait, general relativity and quantum electrodynamics are in accord with observation to 15 decimal places. Or did you sleep through the classes where this was taught?

Christ David wrote:so they invented an invisible existence that cannot be detected to try to fit their model.

Bullshit. Go and read that lecture I linked to above, and learn what scientists actually postulate, instead of whatever fatuous caricature thereof you picked up from a fifth-rate apologetics website.

Christ David wrote:instead of admitting that they are using the wrong systems, they keep trying to invent theories or 'make-it-up' as they go along.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

And of course, this never happens in the world of religion ... much.

Once again, go and learn some actual science, instead of posting ignorant drivel.

Christ David wrote:its clearly obvious that trying to describe the universe with finite measurements or equations based on finite numbers is not working.

The world's physicists are laughing at you. Not least because it's worked well enough thus far to provide you with the computer you're typing your fatuous apologetic drivel on.

Christ David wrote:when will they give up?

We keep asking the same about idiot supernaturalists and their palsied apologetic fabrications.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 04, 2015 9:13 pm

chairman bill wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:Well, my faith has been severely shaken. :roll:

Oh well.

Oh you need to see what he can do with a piece of bread & some fishes

Will it be on youtube? I refuse to believe anything that isn't on youtube. :snooty:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#17  Postby Macdoc » Feb 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Cali...well shred...

:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Feb 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Christ David wrote:stick to the topic at hand.

:lol: Oh dear... The problem is, Christ Dave, even if every scientific theory collapsed tomorrow, the answer wouldn't get to be 'God' by default - you'd still have to provide evidence for the funny little fellah! So far, after 2000 odd years...zippo. The fact that the maths don't fit every single situation is a mystery to be solved, not an excuse to dump it all and start cargo cults!
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby chairman bill » Feb 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:Will it be on youtube? I refuse to believe anything that isn't on youtube. :snooty:

Oh ye of little faith
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 04, 2015 9:21 pm

Christ David wrote:so they invented an invisible existence that cannot be detected to try to fit their model.

I.... my..... er.....

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking