Sketchy products

Products that use huge / heavy scientific terms and jargons in their marketing

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Sketchy products

#1  Postby Irawan » Jan 14, 2015 7:10 am

Hello everyone

I am new here, and this will be my first post, I hope this is the right section to post this particular topic.

Now...

Lately, someone had been trying to sell me some interesting cards. They claim that the cards contains Negative Ions, around 5000/5500 :scratch: . They also claims that their cards can saves fuel around 30%.

Now, the instruction that they gave on how to use the card. They told you, if you want to save electricity, you just need to take two of their cards, and stick it near the fuse box, they claim the Ion Negatives that is stored within the card will do the rest.

And if you want to save fuel, you need to take 1 or 2 of those cards, and stick it near the gas cover. The theory and mechanism behind it is, the Ion negatives supposedly "refine" the molecule inside your gas, and make it easier for the engine to operate more efficiently.

In their explanation, words like Ion Negatives and Quantum physics, etc, had been thrown around a lot. They used this big huge words and terms to explain things, but ultimately, how the products works in the end, is still vague.

I don't really have deep knowledge about chemistry and physics. I rate myself below high school average, but I sure do have doubts about their explanation. For example, I know that Ions are charged particles, and to exist, they need some sort of power source, and I am wondering where the ions get their energy from, to stay within that card.

And from what I understand, molecules are the most basic structure in the universe, and cannot be refined or be made smaller.

And...Quantum Physics? :ask: I'm not really sure how they applied quantum physics technology in their products.

I addressed my doubt to them, and hoping they could satisfy my curiosity in that matter. But they seem adamant in their explanation and insist that it is based on true science, and what I know about Ions are Inadequate, which I don't deny.

In the end, I didn't bought the cards, but it really spark my interest, Is there any good / true science in what they're talking about? Can Negative Ions do as what they have told me?

So maybe some of you guys can shed some light / knowledge matter, opinions, facts, journals, research, what ever that can bring more understanding to this topic.
Irawan

Malaysia (my)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sketchy products

#2  Postby Made of Stars » Jan 14, 2015 10:09 am

You did the right thing. Gimmicks like this have been thoroughly debunked. Here are some examples: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/al ... l-of-shame
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Sendraks » Jan 14, 2015 10:16 am

When asking questions of people marketing such products, the best one to ask is links to any peer reviewed research that has be undertaken to show the efficacy of their product.

If there is none or they evade the question, you can usually be pretty confident that what they claim is every bit as real as rocking horse shit.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Arcanyn » Jan 14, 2015 10:17 am

It's just sorcery using scientific sounding words; explaining how it works in terms of ions and things rather than it having been enchanted by the Supreme Necromancer of Glyrryx, as might have been done when belief in magic was more prevalent.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to General Debunking