Strange Noise Phenomenon

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

Strange Noise Phenomenon

#1  Postby Passer » Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am

I'm not sure if this has been posted elsewhere, if it is, feel free to delete.

Apparently, people are hearing weird nosies all over the world. Some are saying it's the trumpets mentioned in the book of Revelation. Some are saying it's a hoax, others, undergrond construction.

Here are a few vids on the subject:

Mexico
You'll have to excuse the 'dramatic' intro music.

Basebell Game
Particularly interesting as it's heard at a sports event and commented on.

Alberta
The guy smirking into the camera is a bit dodgy
I've been diagnosed with O.C.D and G.A.D. I'd better be too - I've spent enough on the therapy!
User avatar
Passer
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 540

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#2  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 18, 2012 9:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmWWePoYHYk[/youtube]
User avatar
Matt8819
Moderator
 
Name: Matt
Posts: 4819
Age: 25
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#3  Postby Passer » Jan 18, 2012 10:31 am

Ha ha! Right :D
I've been diagnosed with O.C.D and G.A.D. I'd better be too - I've spent enough on the therapy!
User avatar
Passer
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 540

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 18, 2012 12:54 pm

Even stranger... I posted a reply to this when I got home... and now it's gone! And I can't find that post anywhere!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 17231
Age: 37
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#5  Postby falconjudge » Jan 18, 2012 3:22 pm

Any explanation for... the Bloop?
I am a Christian and a man of science.
User avatar
falconjudge
 
Name: Justin
Posts: 279

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Strange sounds in Conklin, Alberta

#6  Postby the_5th_ape » Jan 18, 2012 3:41 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLNmdZTf_g[/youtube]

WTF??? Listen to this recorded footage
Faith means not wanting to know what is true. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
Answer
User avatar
the_5th_ape
 
Posts: 2944
Male

Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#7  Postby JoeB » Jan 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Cthulhu, obviously
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." - W. B. Yeats
User avatar
JoeB
RS Donator
 
Name: Johan
Posts: 1387
Age: 27
Male

Country: European Union (NL)
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Strange sounds in Conklin, Alberta

#8  Postby BlackBart » Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Maybe its the sound of threads being merged.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
User avatar
BlackBart
 
Posts: 5459
Age: 51
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#9  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Well, the first thing is that none of the sounds are the same. So let's not use UFO proponent methods to simply clump them all together as a single phenomenon.

The baseball game sounds like wind to me.
The forest, no idea, maybe a lumber factory?
Mexico, construction?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 17231
Age: 37
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#10  Postby Passer » Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Well, the first thing is that none of the sounds are the same. So let's not use UFO proponent methods to simply clump them all together as a single phenomenon.

The baseball game sounds like wind to me.
The forest, no idea, maybe a lumber factory?
Mexico, construction?

The only issue I have with the baseball game, is if it was wind, people would have heard it before, probably. Yet the commentators were both perplexed by it. One of them even suggested it sounded 'supernatural'.
I've been diagnosed with O.C.D and G.A.D. I'd better be too - I've spent enough on the therapy!
User avatar
Passer
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 540

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#11  Postby blindfaith » Jan 18, 2012 4:44 pm

lol i like the new erectile dysfunction drug for women 2.37
The best explanation for the absence of convincing reasons for god's existence is god's nonexistence

john shook
User avatar
blindfaith
 
Name: darren
Posts: 338
Age: 44
Male

Country: uk
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#12  Postby Mycernius » Jan 18, 2012 4:59 pm

The baseball event sounds like the wind and the one in Alberta sounds like heavy cutting machinary in the distance. I heard electrical wood saws and planes make the same noise.
Image
User avatar
Mycernius
 
Posts: 360
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#13  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Passer wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Well, the first thing is that none of the sounds are the same. So let's not use UFO proponent methods to simply clump them all together as a single phenomenon.

The baseball game sounds like wind to me.
The forest, no idea, maybe a lumber factory?
Mexico, construction?

The only issue I have with the baseball game, is if it was wind, people would have heard it before, probably. Yet the commentators were both perplexed by it. One of them even suggested it sounded 'supernatural'.



I don't see how that follows. A wind blowing from a particular direction with a particular strength hasn't necessarily been blowing while cameras have been rolling before.

As for the supernatural comment, I can leave my balcony door open a crack and get a very ghostly sound. It's more that films have employed these sounds, and they have become 'supernatural sounding', I think.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 17231
Age: 37
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#14  Postby orpheus » Jan 18, 2012 6:10 pm

falconjudge wrote:Any explanation for... the Bloop?


I knew someone would bring that up. I'm curious myself.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 6102
Age: 49
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#15  Postby Passer » Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Bloop?
I've been diagnosed with O.C.D and G.A.D. I'd better be too - I've spent enough on the therapy!
User avatar
Passer
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 540

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Strange sounds in Conklin, Alberta

#16  Postby reddix » Jan 18, 2012 9:46 pm

the_5th_ape wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtLNmdZTf_g[/youtube]

WTF??? Listen to this recorded footage


:ask:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd6qCnAit2A[/youtube]
User avatar
reddix
RS Donator
 
Posts: 5673
Age: 4

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#17  Postby orpheus » Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Passer wrote:Bloop?


http://articles.cnn.com/2002-06-13/tech ... _s=PM:TECH

When Wikipedia is up tomorrow, look it up there; I think they have links to audio files.
I think that language has a lot to do with interfering in our relationship to direct experience. A simple thing like metaphor will allow you to go to a place and say 'this is like that'. Well, this isn't like that. This is like this.

–Richard Serra
User avatar
orpheus
 
Posts: 6102
Age: 49
Male

Country: New York, USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#18  Postby DoctorE » Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

More strange sounds.. no laughing matter :)
The Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry wants to collect audio recordings of the purported strange noises in the sky heard by residents of Kota Samarahan, Sarawak.

In a Sinar Harian report, Deputy Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusuf said the ministry was collecting as much "evidence" as possible on the bizarre happening so it could submit its report to the National Space Agency (Angkasa) for further investigation.

"This incident is no laughing matter. We hope those who have audio or video recordings of the noises can come forward so we can investigate," said Fadillah, adding that any evidence can be sent to the Petrajaya parliamentary service centre in Jalan Astana, Kuching.

Residents of Kota Samarahan claimed to have heard noises resembling "loud snorings" in the wee hours of Jan 11 and Jan 12, triggering speculations and apocalyptic theories among the fascinated.

Continues: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News ... 23459.html
User avatar
DoctorE
 
Posts: 9323
Age: 54
Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#19  Postby Passer » Jan 23, 2012 6:36 pm

DoctorE wrote:More strange sounds.. no laughing matter :)
The Science, Technology and Innovation Ministry wants to collect audio recordings of the purported strange noises in the sky heard by residents of Kota Samarahan, Sarawak.

In a Sinar Harian report, Deputy Minister Datuk Fadillah Yusuf said the ministry was collecting as much "evidence" as possible on the bizarre happening so it could submit its report to the National Space Agency (Angkasa) for further investigation.

"This incident is no laughing matter. We hope those who have audio or video recordings of the noises can come forward so we can investigate," said Fadillah, adding that any evidence can be sent to the Petrajaya parliamentary service centre in Jalan Astana, Kuching.

Residents of Kota Samarahan claimed to have heard noises resembling "loud snorings" in the wee hours of Jan 11 and Jan 12, triggering speculations and apocalyptic theories among the fascinated.

Continues: http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News ... 23459.html

Don't Panic!
I've been diagnosed with O.C.D and G.A.D. I'd better be too - I've spent enough on the therapy!
User avatar
Passer
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 540

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Strange Noise Phenomenon

#20  Postby freespirit » Jan 29, 2012 2:19 am

Well, I don´t know what to say about this, but I think some of the videos has something to do with magnetic noise of some kind, but I can´t be sure. I know there are some faked videos, for example the one from Hungary, which for me sounds like an electric guitar with spring reverb. There are others I think is very interesting. I found this source with over 40 videos about the strange noise phenomenon
freespirit
 
Name: Brian
Posts: 6

Country: Denmark
Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests