The Beatles Never Existed

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#21  Postby proudfootz » May 17, 2015 12:15 am

Caper wrote:What? ... no Stig, Dirk, Barry and Nasty .. uh ... oh, Beatles - I thought it was the Rutles. Whew!


The Rutles are quite awesome as well!

You don't see stuff like that about the Herman's Hermits or Dion.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10981

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#22  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 17, 2015 3:42 am

Shrunk wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:You caught me. I am being facetious. The 60s was never dominated by a single band. Only Beatles fans think that.
To me they're just a band.


No argument here. I am a fan, and do think they could be the best band ever. But it's easy to overstate the degree to which they dominated the decade artistically. Here's a list of some of the important recordings released in 1967:

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rs/albums1967-07.php

It's easy to argue for many of them over Sgt. Pepper's (My personal choice might be Forever Changes).


Oh, didn't notice The Velvet Underground and Nico on that list. Maybe that's my choice. Wait, Axis: Bold As Love is there, too.....

Yeah, lots of good stuff to choose from. They don't even mention Frank Zappa...for shame! The Beatle's studio experiments were parlor tricks compared to what he did with the recording equipment available at the time.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14643
Age: 41
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#23  Postby Briton » May 17, 2015 6:31 am

Evolving wrote:
there were never just four individual people known as "John", "Paul", "George", and "Ringo" who comprised one Rock & Roll band known as "The Beatles"


That is absolutely correct.

The Beatles were not a rock 'n' roll band.


Boy band would be more accurate.
User avatar
Briton
 
Posts: 4022

Country: UK
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#24  Postby Blackadder » May 17, 2015 7:09 am

Briton wrote:
Evolving wrote:
there were never just four individual people known as "John", "Paul", "George", and "Ringo" who comprised one Rock & Roll band known as "The Beatles"


That is absolutely correct.

The Beatles were not a rock 'n' roll band.


Boy band would be more accurate.


That's harsh. At least the Beatles played instruments. Boyband members are only required to know how to operate a hairdryer and pose for a camera.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
User avatar
Blackadder
RS Donator
 
Posts: 3776
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#25  Postby Animavore » May 17, 2015 7:56 am

felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:The world would be a better place if The Beatles never existed.
No one believes this, but me.


It's an interesting thought experiment to imagine what might have happened if there wasn't this one period that was so dominated by a single band. But maybe that's not what you're talking about....

You caught me. I am being facetious. The 60s was never dominated by a single band. Only Beatles fans think that.
To me they're just a band.


I would be included to agree with you had they never made this

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kgYsrfaFxm0[/YouTube]

Wow! A Beatles song I've never heard. And I like it! :shock:
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#26  Postby Clive Durdle » May 17, 2015 10:35 am

Thank you for that brilliant list of 1967 records! Just got Piper!
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4854

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#27  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2015 11:56 am

Animavore wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

It's an interesting thought experiment to imagine what might have happened if there wasn't this one period that was so dominated by a single band. But maybe that's not what you're talking about....

You caught me. I am being facetious. The 60s was never dominated by a single band. Only Beatles fans think that.
To me they're just a band.


I would be included to agree with you had they never made this

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kgYsrfaFxm0[/YouTube]

Wow! A Beatles song I've never heard. And I like it! :shock:


Seriously? So you've, like, never heard Revolver, and then feel entitled to spout shit about how The Beatles suck? Dude... :)
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#28  Postby Animavore » May 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:
You caught me. I am being facetious. The 60s was never dominated by a single band. Only Beatles fans think that.
To me they're just a band.


I would be included to agree with you had they never made this

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kgYsrfaFxm0[/YouTube]

Wow! A Beatles song I've never heard. And I like it! :shock:


Seriously? So you've, like, never heard Revolver, and then feel entitled to spout shit about how The Beatles suck? Dude... :)

Looking at the track listing, this is the only song I don't know.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#29  Postby proudfootz » May 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Briton wrote:
Evolving wrote:
there were never just four individual people known as "John", "Paul", "George", and "Ringo" who comprised one Rock & Roll band known as "The Beatles"


That is absolutely correct.

The Beatles were not a rock 'n' roll band.


Boy band would be more accurate.


Yes, if the Beatles were a 'boy band' then the genre has become quite debased since then.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10981

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#30  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2015 12:24 pm

Animavore wrote:Looking at the track listing, this is the only song I don't know.


Make sure it's the UK version you're looking at. This was the one LP that was worst mangled for the US market.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#31  Postby Animavore » May 17, 2015 12:25 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looking at the track listing, this is the only song I don't know.


Make sure it's the UK version you're looking at. This was the one LP that was worst mangled for the US market.

Why was that?
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#32  Postby proudfootz » May 17, 2015 12:27 pm

Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looking at the track listing, this is the only song I don't know.


Make sure it's the UK version you're looking at. This was the one LP that was worst mangled for the US market.

Why was that?


UK and US record companies issued different tracks on albums, messed with order of tracks.

I think it comes down to money. The US would leave off a few tracks and after a while had enough to issue an extra album.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
User avatar
proudfootz
 
Posts: 10981

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#33  Postby Briton » May 17, 2015 12:47 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Briton wrote:
Evolving wrote:
there were never just four individual people known as "John", "Paul", "George", and "Ringo" who comprised one Rock & Roll band known as "The Beatles"


That is absolutely correct.

The Beatles were not a rock 'n' roll band.


Boy band would be more accurate.


Yes, if the Beatles were a 'boy band' then the genre has become quite debased since then.


I didn't know boybands had a genre. ;) Got to admit I'm not wholly serious but they did make it big appealing to screaming school girls. :grin: Of course they did a lot of very good pop songs but I've always thought they were a tad over rated. I do think they existed though.
User avatar
Briton
 
Posts: 4022

Country: UK
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#34  Postby Evolving » May 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Apparently, if you play "Hey hey, we're the Monkees" backwards, it says "John doesn't exist".
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
User avatar
Evolving
 
Name: Serafina Pekkala
Posts: 11993
Female

Country: Luxembourg
Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#35  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2015 1:07 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:
Animavore wrote:Looking at the track listing, this is the only song I don't know.


Make sure it's the UK version you're looking at. This was the one LP that was worst mangled for the US market.

Why was that?


UK and US record companies issued different tracks on albums, messed with order of tracks.

I think it comes down to money. The US would leave off a few tracks and after a while had enough to issue an extra album.


There was also the fact that, in the UK, singles and LP's were considered completely separate formats. It was bad form to sell someone a song on an LP that they had already bought as a single. Whereas the US market was already using the approach that held until recently, where the single was used to sell the LP. American fans expected to get "She Loves You," "I Want to Hold Your Hand", etc. when they bought an LP, but the UK fans would feel they were getting ripped off.

In the case of "Revolver", they had a number of tracks that had been excised from previous LP's, but not quite enough for a full disc, so they cut a couple tracks off "Revolver" to pad out what ended up being "Yesterday and Today." I've read that the Beatles' displeasure with this was what led to the infamous "butcher cover", but I don't know if that's true.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#36  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2015 1:11 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Briton wrote:
Evolving wrote:
there were never just four individual people known as "John", "Paul", "George", and "Ringo" who comprised one Rock & Roll band known as "The Beatles"


That is absolutely correct.

The Beatles were not a rock 'n' roll band.


Boy band would be more accurate.


Yes, if the Beatles were a 'boy band' then the genre has become quite debased since then.


That's the thing with The Beatles. They were the first boy band. They were also psychedelic prog-rockers, confessional folk singer/songwriters, and (though some deny it here), a crack straight ahead rock and roll band. They could also have been the first Monty Python if they had decided to go that route. They're whatever group you want them to be.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#37  Postby Animavore » May 17, 2015 1:13 pm

Wiki suggests the butcher cover was done for shits and giggles.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 44752
Age: 42
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#38  Postby Shrunk » May 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Animavore wrote:Wiki suggests the butcher cover was done for shits and giggles.


And as a protest against the Vietnam War. Yeah, OK. That they were pissed off at Capitol Records sounds more probable than that to me. But shits and giggles sounds about right.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
User avatar
Shrunk
 
Posts: 26170
Age: 56
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: The Beatles Never Existed

#39  Postby felltoearth » May 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Animavore wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

It's an interesting thought experiment to imagine what might have happened if there wasn't this one period that was so dominated by a single band. But maybe that's not what you're talking about....

You caught me. I am being facetious. The 60s was never dominated by a single band. Only Beatles fans think that.
To me they're just a band.


I would be included to agree with you had they never made this

[youtube]http://youtu.be/kgYsrfaFxm0[/YouTube]

Wow! A Beatles song I've never heard. And I like it! :shock:


I actually held the same opinion about the Beatles for a long time. Then I heard that track, I realized there was more than likely met the eye and started playing their stuff on guitar and keyboard (especially the Lennon stuff).
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
felltoearth
 
Posts: 14076
Age: 53

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest