The "Food Babe" is full of shit

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

The "Food Babe" is full of shit

#1  Postby Shrunk » Apr 07, 2015 6:12 pm

I've been only vaguely aware of this "Food Babe" (real name Vani Hari), aware enough to know she's annoying and stupid. But evidently not aware enough to realize that she is also becoming a menace:

Vani Hari, AKA the Food Babe, has amassed a loyal following in her Food Babe Army. The recent subject of profiles and interviews in the New York Times, the New York Post and New York Magazine, Hari implores her soldiers to petition food companies to change their formulas. She's also written a bestselling book telling you that you can change your life in 21 days by "breaking free of the hidden toxins in your life." She and her army are out to change the world.

She's also utterly full of shit.

I am an analytical chemist with a background in forensics and toxicology. Before working full-time as a science writer and public speaker, I worked as a chemistry professor, a toxicology chemist, and in research analyzing pesticides for safety. I now run my own blog, Science Babe, dedicated to debunking pseudoscience that tends to proliferate in the blogosphere. Reading Hari's site, it's rare to come across a single scientific fact. Between her egregious abuse of the word "toxin" anytime there's a chemical she can't pronounce and asserting that everyone who disagrees with her is a paid shill, it's hard to pinpoint her biggest sin.

Hari's superhero origin story is that she came down with appendicitis and didn't accept the explanation that appendicitis just happens sometimes. So she quit her job as a consultant, attended Google University and transformed herself into an uncredentialed expert in everything she admittedly can't pronounce. Slap the catchy moniker "Food Babe" on top, throw in a couple of trend stories and some appearances on the Dr. Oz show, and we have the new organic media darling.

But reader beware. Here are some reasons why she's the worst assault on science on the internet....

http://gawker.com/the-food-babe-blogger ... 8349613882

Another take down, courtesy of Orac:

The Food Babe is to food as Jenny McCarthy is to vaccines.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: The "Food Babe" is full of shit

#2  Postby chairman bill » Apr 07, 2015 6:33 pm

Surely it's only her lower digestive tract that is full of shit
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 07, 2015 7:05 pm

It comes out her fingertips. :S
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Christ there is some weapons grade bs in her articles about microwaves and airplanes.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Apr 07, 2015 8:18 pm

My little sister is trying to eat a healthier diet. She showed me a recipe for some sort of pasta dish. She couldn't pronounce the name of the noodle. I told her she probably shouldn't eat it, because it must be full of toxins. ;)
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 07, 2015 8:54 pm

There is a little war going on between this ditz and The Sceptic's Guide to the Universe (weekly podcasst).

She apparently eats a diet completely free of chemicals.

Either she doesn't know what the fuck a chemical is, or she's eating from the periodic table.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mazille » Apr 07, 2015 9:00 pm

I appreciate the pun, but elements are still chemicals.

I've never heard of this woman. Is she, like, big over in USistan?
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Paul » Apr 07, 2015 9:10 pm

She sounds a bit like Gillian McKeith, who was told to stop calling herself a doctor by the Advertising Standards Authority, because she isn't a doctor.

McKeith's advice is based on both standard and non-standard medicine, including common sense tips, such as avoiding shopping when hungry, eating fruit and vegetables instead of cakes or buns, and favouring fresh fish over processed products such as fish-fingers.[29] She recommends a detox diet in which the "top 12 toxic terrors to avoid" are: smoking; caffeine; alcohol; chocolate and sweet snacks; pub snacks such as crisps, nuts, and pork scratchings; processed meat; white bread, white pasta, white rice; products containing added sugar; takeaways and ready meals; table salt; saturated fats; and fizzy drinks.[30] Her clients have included Jennifer Aniston and Demi Moore.[3]

Goldacre writes that he finds it offensive that the British media is "filled with people who adopt a cloak of scientific authority while apparently misunderstanding the most basic aspects of biology." He offers as an example McKeith's recommendation to eat darker leaves because they are rich in chlorophyll, writing that her claim that it will "really oxygenate your blood" is erroneous as sunlight usually is absent inside the human bowel.[31] McKeith's advice in her book Miracle Superfood: Wild Blue-Green Algae is also disputed. Jan Krokowski of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency wrote a letter to New Scientist, as a private individual, saying "blue-green algae—properly called cyanobacteria—are able to produce a range of very powerful toxins, which pose health hazards to humans and animals and can result in illness and death."[32] In response to the criticism, McKeith argues: "I am on a crusade to change the nation and fortunately, or unfortunately, that is going to put me in the limelight. But you cannot have change without a bit of resistance."[20] The algal toxin BMAA has since been identified as a cause of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS or motor neurone disease).[33][34]
"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby chairman bill » Apr 07, 2015 9:14 pm

If the 'food babe' was very short of food, would she have a problem with cannibalism? Maybe OK with eating a macrobiotic vegan, but not one of those people with chemicals in them.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Apr 07, 2015 9:31 pm

Mazille wrote:I appreciate the pun, but elements are still chemicals.

Yes. Knew that but the pun forced me to be ignorant. :teef:

Never heard of her other than through the SGU podcast.

Apparently this amazing sluth uncovered a dark secret regarding pumpkin spice. It doesn't actual contain any pumpkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby lucek » Apr 07, 2015 10:57 pm

The "Food Babe" is full of shit in other news water is wet, the sky is blue, and a chemical used in the making of yoga mats isn't a yoga mat.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby lucek » Apr 07, 2015 11:29 pm

Oh love this. She claims there is formaldehyde, in beer. I can't believe it there is methanal in alcohol. It's not like there was ethanol and other alcohol exposed to an organism with alcohol dehydrogenase.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Matt_B » Apr 07, 2015 11:59 pm

Can someone tell her that her water contains the dangerous chemical dihydrogen monoxide? That should sort her out.
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Apr 08, 2015 12:35 am

The funniest part, in my opinion, is that the growing "green chemistry" movement pretty much guarantees we'll be seeing more of the same chemicals in both our edibles and our inedibles. Not because food is getting sketchy, but because our inedibles are getting less sketchy.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Oldskeptic » Apr 11, 2015 2:39 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Mazille wrote:I appreciate the pun, but elements are still chemicals.

Yes. Knew that but the pun forced me to be ignorant. :teef:

Never heard of her other than through the SGU podcast.

Apparently this amazing sluth uncovered a dark secret regarding pumpkin spice. It doesn't actual contain any pumpkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have this little jar in my spice rack that is labeled pumpkin spice. It's for making pumpkin pies. The ingredients are cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice. No fucking pumpkin at all. What's up with that?
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby hackenslash » Apr 11, 2015 4:15 am

Wouldn't mind betting the stupid twat eats GMOs herself. Bananas, anyone?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Briton » Apr 11, 2015 8:55 am

Onyx8 wrote:Christ there is some weapons grade bs in her articles about microwaves and airplanes.

She has opened my eyes to some research about microwaves that I'd never seen before.

Last by not least, Dr. Masaru Emoto, who is famous for taking pictures of various types of waters and the crystals that they formed in the book called “Hidden Messages in Water,” found water that was microwaved did not form beautiful crystals – but instead formed crystals similar to those formed when exposed to negative thoughts or beliefs. If this is happening to just water – I can only imagine what a microwave is doing to the nutrients, energy of our food and to our bodies when we consume microwaved food. For the experiment pictured above, microwaved water produced a similar physical structure to when the words “satan” and “hitler” were repeatedly exposed to the water. This fact is probably too hokey for most people – but I wanted to include it because sometimes the things we can’t see with the naked eye or even fully comprehend could be the most powerful way to unlock spontaneous healing.

Too hokey? Not at all. :roll:
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby surreptitious57 » Apr 11, 2015 1:13 pm

Ben Goldacre devoted a chapter in Bad Science to Gillian McKeith which was entitled The Doctor Will Sue You Now. This was a reference to her threat of suing anyone suggesting she may be a tad economical with the truth regarding her qualifications He said if anyone doubted his own three degrees he would just laugh in their face as they were all from genuine universities and could be independently verified. In his new book I Think You Will Find Its A Bit More Complicated Than That he goes up against Susan Greenfield professor of pharmacology at Oxford. Now I have no dog in this fight though when she appeared on Hard Talk she dismissed his criticisms purely on the basis that he was not a scientist but this was such an elementary error I would not expect the forum cat to make it never mind such an intellectual leviathan as Greenfield. Since he is a doctor and medicine is a branch of science which therefore makes him a scientist. He has also written another book Bad Pharma which as the title implies sees him taking on the pharmaceutical industry and so not only does he have three degrees but it would appear two big balls to match also. I am actually surprised no one has succeeded in gagging him for that is usually what the powerful do when they are bring scrutinised by mere mortals
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#19  Postby Shrunk » Apr 11, 2015 6:27 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Never heard of her other than through the SGU podcast.

Toxic dose of sugar? I've drunk some of those things. Why am I still alive?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 11, 2015 7:08 pm

While I honor anyone's privilege to get up in arms about something like this, I really didn't want to know. I mean, I know there are people like this, but I just don't want to know the details. These people would not exist but for those they can hoodwink.

Dueling blogs. After twenty years of internet, who'd've thought it possible? The fact that dumb, desperate people find wrong stuff appealing should not come as a surprise to anyone. At least not in these pages.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking