The "Serial Trials Fallacy" has no place in Formal Logic

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The "Serial Trials Fallacy" has no place in Formal Logic

#121  Postby rainbow » Mar 23, 2010 1:00 pm

Rumraket wrote:How about you try to explain why you think it's a poor argument then? You haven't actaually done this yet.

I did. In the other thread.
creationism/frequently-occuring-fallacies-t1121-40.html
Please try to keep up.
Last edited by rainbow on Mar 23, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#122  Postby rainbow » Mar 23, 2010 1:02 pm

YanShen wrote:Surely it must be possible to evaluate an argument on its own merits, regardless of whether or not it's formally considered a fallacy. I think this is the first time I've encountered a person who refused to debate whether an argument had merit or not, until it could first be established that it was considered a formal fallacy. I think that the anthropic principle is probably highly relevant to this particular discussion as well.

They are two different questions, and have been dealt with in two different threads.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#123  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:03 pm

Can you post your objections here Rainbow? A simple cut and paste of what you stated in the other thread would put all of the ignorant atheists on this forum to shame. Nothing should be sacrificed for the glory of God! If you have a chance to convert ignorant atheists and win them over to Jesus Christ, then spending a tiny fraction of time cutting and pasting your argument against the so called serial trials fallacy, must be worth it.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:08 pm

Uh you didnt really say anything in that other thread Rainbow.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#125  Postby Rumraket » Mar 23, 2010 1:09 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:How about you try to explain why you think it's a poor argument then? You haven't actaually done this yet.

Please try to keep up.

This is not an argument against the serial trials fallacy, but an argument against the specific example used to demonstrate it. So again, I ask, can you provide us with an explanation for why you think it is a poor argument? I'm not talking about the made-up example cali provided, but the actual essentials or the argument. Please try to keep up.
Last edited by Rumraket on Mar 23, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#126  Postby Darkchilde » Mar 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Edited post, and ignore any modnotes that were here, as Yanshen's post was sarcasm, not preaching.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#127  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:14 pm

This thread reminds me of another debate on this forum involving consciousness. Some guy just repeatedly stated one thing over and over again. I'm afraid the quality of theists on this forum is a bit disappointing. I've had much more spirited debates with some of my religious friends, who are by far more intelligent than the riff raff theists you find on this forum...

darkchilde. that post was pure sarcasm.. come on now :)
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#128  Postby rainbow » Mar 23, 2010 1:16 pm

Rumraket wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Please try to keep up.

This is not an argument against the serial trials fallacy, but an argument against the specific example used to demonstrate it. So again, I ask, can you provide us with an explanation for why you think it is a poor argument? I'm not talking about the made-up example cali provided, but the actual essentials or the argument. Please try to keep up.

You may ask as many times as you want, but if you want answers to points raised in that thread, then detail your arguments there.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#129  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:18 pm

LOL. it seems as if people did raise points in that other thread, which you couldnt address, so you simply created this new thread which tried to focus on the actual that the serial trials fallacy wasn't formally recognized as a fallacy.
rainbow, you're just joking around with us right. this is all just a ruse.

I love this tactic. Make a bad argument in thread A, get called out. Run off to Thread B, make the same bad arguments and when people call you out on it, direct them to thread A. When they then call out your bad arguments again on thread A, im guessing you'll just redirect them to thread B. it's kind of a like a perpetual motion machine...
Last edited by YanShen on Mar 23, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#130  Postby hackenslash » Mar 23, 2010 1:19 pm

YanShen wrote:darkchilde. that post was pure sarcasm.. come on now :)

Smileys are good. I had to look through some of your previous posts to ascertain that this was a joke.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#131  Postby Rumraket » Mar 23, 2010 1:19 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Please try to keep up.

You may ask as many times as you want, but if you want answers to points raised in that thread, then detail your arguments there.

Useless goalpost shifting.

Please, once again, submit an actual argument against the serial trials fallacy. Can you do this?

I don't care about Cali's hypothetical calculation. I don't care about formal or informal reckognition. I want to see what you think is wrong with the fallacy itself. Will you be kind enough to explain this to me? You still haven't done so.
Rumraket

Print view this post

#132  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:20 pm

I think he'll redirect you to the other thread Rumraket. And then when you post on the other thread, he'll just redirect you back to this one :)

Come to think of it, this isn't a bad debating tactic, redirecting people back and forth between two threads, so that you can basically avoid having to say anything of substance.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#133  Postby Newmark » Mar 23, 2010 1:25 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:
rainbow wrote:

Please try to keep up.

You can hand wave all you want, but by not pointing out where you supposedly made a successful argument against the Serial Trials Fallacy, you make it painfully clear that you have no argument. You can show me wrong by posting a) what you perceive to be the the Serial Trials Fallacy, and b) your motivation as to why it is "a bad argument" here. Until you are able to do so, I'll consider everything you say to be evasive bullshit.
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#134  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:27 pm

Perhaps Rainbow lacks a basic understanding of statistics and probability and is ill-equipped to debate the argument on its own merits.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#135  Postby rainbow » Mar 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Rumraket wrote:
Please, once again, submit an actual argument against the serial trials fallacy. Can you do this?

I've done so. You know what you need to do if you want your answers.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#136  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:31 pm

This is too comedic. Rainbow, don't you think that Jesus Christ himself is embarrassed by how pitiful your defense of him is? He must be having fits up in Heaven.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#137  Postby UnderConstruction » Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

YanShen wrote:This is too comedic. Rainbow, don't you think that Jesus Christ himself is embarrassed by how pitiful your defense of him is? He must be having fits up in Heaven.

As much as I have no desire to defend Rainbow, it is perhaps worth mentioning that he catagorically denies being a creationist. His evasive bullshit is for some purpose that has has not yet chosen to share with us (although Spearthrower seems to have a pretty good idea).
"Origins from God/Genesis are secular actually as we see it." - Robert Byers
UnderConstruction

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#138  Postby YanShen » Mar 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Perhaps he considers himself a theistic evolutionist. Abiogenesis and evolution are in fact distinct fields of study... If he is attacking merely abiogenesis, but not evolution, then perhaps theistic evolutionist would aptly describe his philosophical orientation.
YanShen

United States (us)
Print view this post

#139  Postby Newmark » Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

You most certainly have not. That thread doesn't contain an argument against the Serial Trials Fallacy. To say that you have shown it to be a poor argument is a lie, plain and simple. Show me wrong.
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#140  Postby Rumraket » Mar 23, 2010 1:42 pm

rainbow wrote:
Rumraket wrote:

Lets proceed on the assumption that I'm too stupid and/or somehow disabled to a degree where I can't find where you have submitted this actual argument. Will you now be kind and just link it (directly, not just an entire thread), or quote it, in here in the thread that actually, specifically addresses the purported issue you have with the fallacy, for me?

Thx in advance.
Rumraket

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking