Tony Robbins

What do you skeptics think?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Tony Robbins

#261  Postby BlackBart » Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

DuDot wrote:
Surely these Robbins enthusiasts would be more than happy to provide data on what they've 'achieved' compared the general population

There's nothing like that? I'm wondering why that is. Why do we get a steady drip-drip of Robbins groupies on this thread that can't show us what they've actually achieved since spending a large wad of cash on his seminars? We just get nebulous 'It worked for me' personal anecdotes.

It doesn't really sell it does it?

I gave specific examples of how it helped me and I wasn't the only person on this thread to do so.

Yeah, we read it. It's a personal anecdote.
A. We can't differentiate personal anecdote from fabrication.
B. Even if they are factual, you've just presented a 'Post hoc ergo propter hoc' fallacy. You haven't given us any reason to conclude that your achievements were a direct result of any Robbins product. Again, it just boils down to 'It worked for me'.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#262  Postby CharlesIC » Dec 30, 2016 4:58 am

DuDot wrote:
I actually stumbled across this forum because my fater-in-law was a little skeptical of Tony after watching "I'm Not Your Guru". Like the poster I responded to, I often seek out contradictory info on things that I believe in or am considering accepting as useful. The last time I did this on Tony was after going to Unleash The Power Within many years ago. At that time I didn't find any meaningful critiques of him. After my father-in-laws skepticism, I decided to look again. I didn't find anything meaningful this time either. I decided to respond because I thought this thread was lacking in meaningful feedback.

DuDot wrote:
I didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread

That's why you didn't find anything meaningful. Read the thread, loads of great debunking here.
CharlesIC

Name: Charles G.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#263  Postby bourdages17 » Feb 06, 2017 5:53 pm

DuDot wrote:
I didn't read through all 12 pages of this thread

I did read all 12 pages, 14 actually, and for what it's worth -

I watched all I could handle of 'I'm not your Guru', which was a little more than half. It was pretty obvious that the director had little to no personal power to ask the real questions that most viewers wanted to get a better understanding of Tony Robbins himself, so I stopped watching. In my opinion, it fell nothing short of a promotional video that was overseen by Tony Robbins. The documentary focused on a few different successful cases from the 'date to destiny weekend'. - Let me take a group of thousands a to some retreat somewhere hot where they can take a minute from their hectic lives to look at and challenge some shit that has been wearing on them for a while and I'll be able to get you some footage of some revolutionary type shit happening. I found zero clarity, actually, I was more confused. So I jumped online and after doing some research on the net worth of Tony Robbins of more than $500,000,000 and seminars costing roughly $5000!?? lol! it instantly made me question the authenticity of the intentions of all of this. Money is the undeniable factor in this equation - The money Tony Robbins makes, the high cost of these seminars and sessions and what not. I believe he is incredibly smart and motivated, I believe he genuinely has good intentions to help 'you' but genuinely wants your money more. I have close friends that are attempting to do what Tony has already done in the self-help field and it's an extremely disturbing process to watch.

I found the Pro Tony side specifically Dudot and Somedude to be quite condescending and unable to provide any quantitative evidence. I believe they are not representation the program very well. definitely, nothing I would pay money to model after. I thought the Anti Tony side specifically ScholasticSpastic and Blackbart were reasonable in their debate and in the majority, asked fair questions that never got answered.

I feel it is hard to critique someone's qualitative evidence so really I am not going to judge if whatever information they got from these seminars worked for them. I just know for myself, I came into this thread impartial, but after reading it... I've solidified my opinion of this niche self-help market of strong people with selfish intentions preying on the weak. I don't believe he's got the ark of the covenant in the backyard of his mansion, so I'll hold onto my 5k:)

Great thread! :coffee:
bourdages17

Name: Dog

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#264  Postby Fallible » Feb 07, 2017 8:55 am

The ultimate irony is that the people who could actually do with hearing that kind of motivational speaking don't have $5,000, and those who do have already motivated themselves to the point where they can afford to hand over $5,000 to some smooth talker.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#265  Postby bourdages17 » Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Fallible wrote:The ultimate irony is that the people who could actually do with hearing that kind of motivational speaking don't have $5,000, and those who do have already motivated themselves to the point where they can afford to hand over $5,000 to some smooth talker.

Yes I agree, and in scale that 5k to someone with low income in comparison to any investment one might make of the same scale in regards to their income. People tend to defend and justify their expenses, esspecially the big ones. The overpriced vehicle, overpriced art or their overpriced self help product in this case... and for that amount of money they are going to make damn sure they 'get something out of it'. The ringleader gets rich quicker and the pawns feel more attatched and validated, which in return will then market his product. Really is genius... but at what cost...
bourdages17

Name: Dog

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#266  Postby Rich and Blind » Feb 18, 2017 10:58 am

A couple of my friends talked about Tony Robinson, and after the comments on Amazon about his books and the thoughts on rationalskepticism.org I dismissed him as a useful feel good.

This is not so. After watching "Tony Robbins: I am not your guru" on netflix I see the potential this man has to change lives. Of course many less then he and everyone claims.

He is not going to give good money advice. I'm not sure why people buy his money books or even why he makes them (I'm sure he enjoys the money). He is attuned to feelings and how human beings relate to one another. In addition to this sensitivity he is very rational about how to handle these feelings. I imagine he's not as rational about handling money but... who knows if his average viewer can tell, it probably feels the same.
Rich and Blind

Name: Jeremy Gleaves

United States (us)
Print view this post

#267  Postby quas » Feb 19, 2017 2:16 pm

Rich and Blind wrote:A couple of my friends talked about Tony Robinson, and after the comments on Amazon about his books and the thoughts on rationalskepticism.org I dismissed him as a useful feel good.

This is not so. After watching "Tony Robbins: I am not your guru" on netflix I see the potential this man has to change lives. Of course many less then he and everyone claims.

He is not going to give good money advice. I'm not sure why people buy his money books or even why he makes them (I'm sure he enjoys the money). He is attuned to feelings and how human beings relate to one another. In addition to this sensitivity he is very rational about how to handle these feelings. I imagine he's not as rational about handling money but... who knows if his average viewer can tell, it probably feels the same.

Something you should read:
https://www.amazon.com/Sham-Self-Help-Movement-America-Helpless/dp/1400054109/
Last edited by ADParker on Feb 19, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed link
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#268  Postby Scot Dutchy » Feb 19, 2017 2:28 pm

Page unavailable?
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#269  Postby quas » Feb 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Sham: How the Self-Help Movement Made America Helpless --- Steve Salermo
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#270  Postby Flagern » Mar 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Tony Robbins is a sham, albeit a very rich one who has been successful himself. I have a masters in Organizational Psychology from an Ivy-league university and I've attended one of his seminars. I'd also say that I've been quite successful in business myself. My keys to success: hard work, intellectual capacity, education, and a willingness to disrupt myself as market conditions change. No magical secrets. His sessions are a lot of rah rah, without much substance behind them. A lot of his ideas are based upon neuro-linguistic programming, which has been disproven scientifically. He is like a religious figure: great promises for life change and a fantastic show, but very little underneath to back it up. I understand why he sells it. I wish more people (including me when I was younger) were smarter about not buying it.
Flagern

Name: Kevin G

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking