UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

Discussions on UFOs, ghosts, myths etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

#1  Postby DoctorE » Sep 16, 2013 11:13 am

There may have been centuries of sightings with no proof of their existence, but a new study suggests belief in ghosts is growing in the UK.

More than half of those taking part (52 per cent) said they believed in the supernatural, a marked increase on the two previous comparable studies, in 2009 and 2005, which both found a level of around 40 per cent.

The survey also found that one in five claimed to have had some sort of paranormal experience.

Interest in the supernatural has become big business in recent years, with the popularity of television shows like Most Haunted, which starred Yvette Fielding, and the spread of so-called “ghost walks” around supposedly haunted parts of city centres. English Heritage (EH) and the National Trust have both begun to attract people to their properties by identifying which ones are said to be occupied by ghosts, among them Blickling Hall, in Norfolk, Dunster Castle, in Somerset, and Dover Castle, in Kent. EH even conducted a “spectral stocktake” of “hauntings” and unexplained events recorded at its sites.

The new study was carried out for the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (Assap), for its annual conference.

Dave Wood, chairman of the group, which is dedicated to the study of a wide range of unexplained experiences – from supposed hauntings to UFO sightings – said: “The rise in the numbers believing in ghosts is a surprise, and is significantly higher than what we consider to have been the historical average.

Continues: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... ising.html
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: UK: Belief in ghosts is rising

#2  Postby trubble76 » Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am

As I think Einstein once said, some people are really fucking stupid. :coffee:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am

I think it gives people who like a quick ''fix'' some excitement in their lives, something that is mysterious. I speak from personal experience. I tried so desperately to believe in ghosts, because I just loved that delicious feeling of being spooked. I still do, I love a good ghost story. But I gave up the fight some years ago now to convince myself that they were somehow real.
Sorry that you think you had it rough in the first world.
You ought to get out a map sooner than later.
Knowledge has turned into a trap; you have to slow down.
Get out of your head and spend less time alone.
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby mattthomas » Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

Just think how stupid the average person is, then realise that half of the population is more stupid than that.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#5  Postby Kaleid » Sep 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Whether it's religion, astrology, tarot cards or ghosts, some people just get off on kidding themselves that they're more astute about the world than others. "Eeh, there must be something..." they say, usually while wearing an overly-thick cardie and nodding sagely to their mates (Jerome, you're not included in this heinous sartorial stereotype, you're lovely :flowers: )

I once shared a house with a couple of witches. They were into the lot. And they burned a lot of fucking incense. They were massive fans of Most Haunted when it was on, but when an episode was over, they'd suddenly turn cynical - the presenters "were fakes, they obviously didn't really believe it, not like we do. We know!" Any expression of skepticism from myself on the subject of ghosties would be met by one of those patronising smiles and a weary shake of the head.

Can this supposed increase in belief in ghosts really be attributed to pop culture though? It's surely not just because of a TV show :ask:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Sep 16, 2013 12:40 pm

Who we gonna call? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2013 12:46 pm

I would love to spend a weekend in a "real" haunted house.
Illegitimi non carborundum
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby trubble76 » Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

Agrippina wrote:I would love to spend a weekend in a "real" haunted house.

I spent several of my childhood years living in one. Guess how many ghosts I saw?
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

I did for a bit, at least my housemate thought so.

Never told her it was me and my mate opening and closing doors when she was out, or too high from weed to notice us. Lots of banging on windows when she was watching movies.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Agrippina » Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm

trubble76 wrote:

I spent several of my childhood years living in one. Guess how many ghosts I saw?

I lived in one for two years. There was a doll house in the garden that had been built for a little girl who died. My kids played in it all the time without "feeling" anything. After my husband died, the owners tore the house down because they said they couldn't get any tenants to stay in it because he walked around inside the house at night. Funny I lived there for a couple of weeks after his death and didn't feel anything. :roll:

I'd still like to stay in a real icy haunted Scottish castle.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm

Agrippina wrote:
trubble76 wrote:

I lived in one for two years. There was a doll house in the garden that had been built for a little girl who died. My kids played in it all the time without "feeling" anything. After my husband died, the owners tore the house down because they said they couldn't get any tenants to stay in it because he walked around inside the house at night. Funny I lived there for a couple of weeks after his death and didn't feel anything. :roll:

I'd still like to stay in a real icy haunted Scottish castle.

I did that once as a dare. It turned out boring and cold. No alcohol was part of the deal. In a Scottish castle :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Blip » Sep 16, 2013 12:59 pm

OH and I stayed in a 'haunted' 17th century pub in the Cotswolds some years ago. Late the first evening, in the bar, the manager regaled us and our chums with tales of a former innkeeper who could be heard nightly, rattling keys along the corridor to our room. I scoffed.

Shortly after we'd retired for the night, we both heard the unmistakeable sound of heavy keys being rattled outside our room door. OH - who is not as sceptical as I - looked at me with some alarm. I marched to our door and threw it open - to see the manager retreating down the corridor.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 16, 2013 1:01 pm

Blip wrote:OH and I stayed in a 'haunted' 17th century pub in the Cotswolds some years ago. Late the first evening, in the bar, the manager regaled us and our chums with tales of a former innkeeper who could be heard nightly, rattling keys along the corridor to our room. I scoffed.

Shortly after we'd retired for the night, we both heard the unmistakeable sound of heavy keys being rattled outside our room door. OH - who is not as sceptical as I - looked at me with some alarm. I marched to our door and threw it open - to see the manager retreating down the corridor.

That is par for the course!
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby electricwhiteboy » Sep 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Agrippina wrote:I'd still like to stay in a real icy haunted Scottish castle.

Done that. When I phoned up the hotel told me they don't rent out the room on "account of it being haunted" I said I'd take it and put up with the "ghost." On the way up I started to regret my decision, whilst I don't believe in ghosts I do believe in banging pipes and unnaturally cold rooms. Nothing happened, absolutely nothing. It was a very cold February, but aside from that...

I've had a few experiences that I know aren't paranormal but I could kind of forgive someone thinking they were. The fact that 1 in 5 have experienced something a bit odd doesn't shock me, it disappoints me though that they put it in the drawer marked paranormal without any further thought or need for explanation.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#15  Postby electricwhiteboy » Sep 17, 2013 2:17 pm

Also whilst I'm on the subject... how the hell do these people not wonder why nothing ever gets picked up on CCTV? Strange how the number of pubs in Edinburgh that claim to have had "activity" haven't had anything happen in the last ten years.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Agrippina » Sep 17, 2013 2:34 pm

Indeed!
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#17  Postby jerome » Sep 18, 2013 11:34 am

Best lines --

"Its current President Lionel Fanthorpe has claimed in its journal that King Arthur was an alien who came to Earth to save humans from invading extraterrestrials. "

We have no idea where this came from. I have searched the ASSAP Journal and magazine, and nothing. No one from ASSAP seems to know! I have written to Lionel to ask him ;) I have actually posted some of the videos already in another thread. Oh and it's amusing that Reece who I asked along as my guest gets a mention and I don't! :D

;)

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby jerome » Sep 18, 2013 11:38 am

Kaleid wrote:

I once shared a house with a couple of witches. They were into the lot. And they burned a lot of fucking incense. They were massive fans of Most Haunted when it was on, but when an episode was over, they'd suddenly turn cynical - the presenters "were fakes, they obviously didn't really believe it, not like we do. We know!" Any expression of skepticism from myself on the subject of ghosties would be met by one of those patronising smiles and a weary shake of the head.

Can this supposed increase in belief in ghosts really be attributed to pop culture though? It's surely not just because of a TV show :ask:

Shame I never met them. (I worked on Most Haunted). I became very cynical about people who were cynical about Most Haunted (rightly so) and then went out and did exactly the same things! ;)

Obviously I am not a cynic, I am a bright eyed bushy tailed believer. I have not watched it yet, but here is the panel discussion on the future of ghosthunting where I am embarrassing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h-0Kupo ... e=youtu.be

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby jerome » Sep 18, 2013 6:45 pm

(I'm CJ btw!)

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Thommo » Sep 18, 2013 7:11 pm

trubble76 wrote:

42?
Thommo

Print view this post

Next

Return to Paranormal & Supernatural