Well, non-avian-dinosaurs still exist

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Well, non-avian-dinosaurs still exist

#21  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 12, 2018 11:46 am

Mr. Skeptic wrote:Just go and watch it.

I don't know about you, Mr. Skeptic, but I'm not inclined to lend my eyeballs to enriching some mindfuckbot based only on your feeble recommendations.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 11:49 am

I notice an unfortunate pattern RE established forum members' level of politeness/friendliness toward new arrivals. Perhaps if us lot were a little "nicer" more of 'em would stick around?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

It's not the money that's the problem - it's the occupational therapy.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I notice an unfortunate pattern RE established forum members' level of politeness/friendliness toward new arrivals. Perhaps if us lot were a little "nicer" more of 'em would stick around?

Mr. Skeptic is in no way a "new arrival". He's been on here for several weeks, and in several threads, and has had ample chance to see how his particular interests are received.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. I can see how you might be attracted to youtube videos of uncertain provenance that discuss non-avian dinosaurs in the present day. Do what you think is best, and MYOFB where I am concerned, unless I'm breaking some sort of rule.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 12:35 pm

I'm interested in this topic because of its proximity to the issue of fake news/fabricated evidence/staged "reality" footage/CGI models in the fashion industry/airbrushing...truly a high-value issue of our times. It wouldn't surprise me if access to some fabricating software were restricted by governments in the not too distant future, in fact. CCTV footage need have value.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'm interested in this topic because of its proximity to the issue of fake news/fabricated evidence/staged "reality" footage/CGI models in the fashion industry/airbrushing...truly a high-value issue of our times. It wouldn't surprise me if access to some fabricating software were restricted by governments in the not too distant future, in fact. CCTV footage need have value.

Well, that's a straightforward matter of knowing what some 'real' data look like. You could call it "domain knowledge" if you got specialized enough. I hope you're not suggesting a need to know what's going on everywhere, all the time. In the abstract, a concern with 'staged reality' just goes down the same rabbit-hole the avian dinosaur guy is down. Without significant domain knowledge, you have little hope of influencing the quality of data in that domain.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 12:45 pm

I'm "impressed" with the way trivial mischief makers/entertainers these days are able to fabricate "evidence" of even this quality...50 years time...

Spoken word sample from 2:10 ish etc...

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Sendraks » Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I notice an unfortunate pattern RE established forum members' level of politeness/friendliness toward new arrivals. Perhaps if us lot were a little "nicer" more of 'em would stick around?

I notice the pattern that established members politeness/friendliness varies based on the conduct of the posters in question.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 12:51 pm

I guess I just find this topic relevant and intriguing. It is, of course, 100% in the right subforum...this time...

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Cito di Pense » Sep 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'm "impressed" with the way trivial mischief makers/entertainers these days are able to fabricate "evidence" of even this quality...50 years time...

Spoken word sample from 2:10 ish etc...

It is precisely the fact that trivial mischief makers can achieve trivial results that I'm complaining about. But it isn't the triviality of their results that stirs me. Its the lack of domain knowledge in their audience that gives the content producer so many eyeballs. As I say, if you have domain knowledge in some area, you start to know what's trivial and what isn't. I watch a few flight simulator re-enactments of famous airline disasters, but since there's a reality to compare it to, I find some reason to watch it. A lot of these put into sharp relief the cockpit management issues that make disaster a certainty after some point. These are the issues that the likes of the FAA or ICAO have included prominently in the official record.

Parenthetically, I don't insist that the fact of a large audience is by itself trivial, just that I understand what the real problem is.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Mr. Skeptic » Sep 12, 2018 8:01 pm

BlackBart wrote:I'll take your word for it. If that's how 'MrWolf' gets his jollies, good luck to him.

Well, I think you supposed to not have those 'jollies' to explain reality, get money off of moronic wanna believers or in public. I guess it's his right, but if have people that look up to what you create as information about the world and you are lying, posting falsehoods, fakery or hoaxes, then you are hurting them. Lies and violence are both in the same category for me.
Mr. Skeptic

Name: Owen Terry

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby BlackBart » Sep 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Mr. Skeptic wrote:
BlackBart wrote:I'll take your word for it. If that's how 'MrWolf' gets his jollies, good luck to him.

Well, I think you supposed to not have those 'jollies' to explain reality, get money off of moronic wanna believers or in public. I guess it's his right, but if have people that look up to what you create as information about the world and you are lying, posting falsehoods, fakery or hoaxes, then you are hurting them.

In that case maybe it'd be a good idea not to encourage people go to see it "Just for a laugh or two. It's your life man" Considering these people rely on 'hits' and links to their output for income.

Lies and violence are both in the same category for me.

Well that's nice, but announcing something is in the same category as something else don't make it necessarily so.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Mike_L » Sep 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I'm interested in this topic because of its proximity to the issue of fake news/fabricated evidence/staged "reality" footage/CGI models in the fashion industry/airbrushing...truly a high-value issue of our times. It wouldn't surprise me if access to some fabricating software were restricted by governments in the not too distant future, in fact. CCTV footage need have value.

Of related interest...

New 3D ‘human replica’ technology could take worries about fake news to new heights
(RT.com article)

7-minute video:

Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Keep It Real » Sep 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Mischief...don't look in the box - it belongs to Pandora! :hide:

Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to General Debunking