Why do so many Americans believe in sea serpents?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Why do so many Americans believe in sea serpents?

#21  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 17, 2013 10:43 am

Bunyip. Better add Australians to that title...and add "believe in sea serpents and drop bears". Cause everyone here believes in those two things...cause they are real...and will kill you I promise. :drunk:
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Matt_B » Aug 17, 2013 10:54 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Bunyip. Better add Australians to that title...and add "believe in sea serpents and drop bears". Cause everyone here believes in those two things...cause they are real...and will kill you I promise. :drunk:

Surely you've got enough wonderful and deadly creatures lurking in the bush not to have to make any up?
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#23  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 17, 2013 11:00 am

Sure we have enough but telling some unknowing people about drop bears is well worth the effort of making them up. The first time that great big gum tree creaks they are running for safety. And with all our wonderful, weird and deadly creatures the made up ones are so much easier to believe in.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Arcanyn » Aug 17, 2013 11:06 am

Maybe it's just that American sea serpents are easier to spot because they spontaneously combust more often.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#25  Postby BlackBart » Aug 17, 2013 1:13 pm

You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Skinny Puppy » Aug 17, 2013 1:52 pm

If they don’t exist then how do you account for this? :ask:

I think we all need to begin to accept evidence rather than simply dismissing sea creatures as nonsense.
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 17, 2013 7:46 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:yes this is a serious discussion because nearly all the sea serpent sightings and stories seem to come from the US or Canada..excluding Scotland

Is this possibly because all the sea serpent sightings you hear of are from there, simply because your media doesn't care for similar sightings elsewhere?

I've heard of such sightings from Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Russia, China, Japan, several African countries and Turkey.

The majority of sightings that I've heard of have happened in Sweden, which might be because during about 20 years most news I listened to or watched were from Sweden. Most of the others- the exceptions being a few sightings at Loch Ness and some Icelandic, Norwegian and Russian sightings - I've heard of through the internet, suggesting that Swedish media doesn't much care about sightings outside of Scandinavia. Why would you media be dissimilar from that?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Briton » Aug 17, 2013 7:58 pm

There's also Morgwar who lives in Falmouth Bay, Cornwall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgawr_(cryptid)
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby theropod » Aug 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Many years ago;
A friend of mine and I were sitting on the bank of the Arkansas river, late at night, fishing for catfish, when we saw something angling across the river's surface. We talked about it being a beaver, as only the head was visible, and it seemed to have that sort of size and steadiness that suggested beaver, maybe. We became quite interested when this thing altered its course and started coming towards us from about mid river. No increase in speed, just started coming our way, sortta. There was just enough moonlight to make out the wake trailing off this thing, and a black wedge we assumed to be a head. The Arkansas river, in central Arkansas, is rather wide and channeled with low current during the summer, and the surface can become very smooth in the still of night. This thing got to within 30 feet of the bank, and by this time my buddy had his 22 pistol out and I had my flashlight at the ready. Just as I switched on the lamp there was an awful thrashing of the water and my buddy couldn't find a target for the frothing. We summarized that an alligator had sensed our stinking catfish bait, came over to check it out, saw/heard us moving about and dived in reaction to a perceived threat with a flourish. I could see how some folks might think they'd just see a monster. Thinking about it, maybe we did, but it was still a know extant critter.

BTW there is a season on 'gators here in Arkie land, now. At that time if my bud had popped a gator there would have been serious repercussions from the game n fish department (had they found out). I'm not so sure anything aside from a perfectly placed shot would be lethal anyway, as his pop gun was for snakes and such.

All I know is there ARE monsters in our American waters, at least in parts of Arkansas! Sea serpents? I've seen discovery channel stuff about south pacific sea snakes, does that count?

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Aug 17, 2013 10:39 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
MarkgaB5 wrote:
Shagz wrote:I saw a massive serpent, once. It resides not in a lake, but in my jeans.

Oh, sorry. Is this meant to be a serious discussion about how stupid Americans are?

not stupid per se..perhaps superstitions

Yes, a fairly hilarious assessment coming from someone who really, really, really wants to believe in SHC.

MarkgaB5 wrote:yes this is a serious discussion because nearly all the sea serpent sightings and stories seem to come from the US or Canada..excluding Scotland

He's right, y'know. Spotted a serpent myself once. Monster he was, spanning a fathom and dark as pitch. Yellow eyes burn through you like you was nothin'. I hear she (all sea serpents are she's, mind) ate one o'the Hickman's horses in one bite, bones were spit up on shore for the next few days. Found me a new waterin' hole, I tell you whut.

:rofl:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Fallible » Aug 17, 2013 10:43 pm

P.S. Did anyone say about this yet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambton_Worm

I dunno if Bart said about it, because I passed out from fashion shock immediately upon witnessing those waistcoats.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby laklak » Aug 17, 2013 10:44 pm

I was once married to a she serpent, does that count?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

debunking sea serpents.

#33  Postby MarkgaB5 » Sep 09, 2013 6:25 pm

people claim to have witnessed seeing sea serpents many times over the centuries since people built ships and went out to sea. a sea serpent is a type of dragon that lives in the ocean and looks like any other described type of dragon - a scaly, bulky beast with horns on its head, two huge dorsal fins on its cheeks, and a huge mouth with long teeth and a large snout. its often drawn or described undulating up and down. it is not commonly regarded as a mythical creature but often its said to be a real creature ..even scientists take the idea of actual living dragons in the sea seriously :roll: http://www.livescience.com/15132-alaska ... caddy.html

you know, because being unexplored justifies the existence of ice breathing , ship-devouring colossal dragons ! :doh:
very few websites have both the term ''sea serpent'' and ''mythical'' . some people even claim to have been attacked by sea dragons . i dont believe in them and find the fact that theyre taken seriously stupid. the umibozu is a giant mythical spirit in japanese mythology that roams the ocean and attacks ships but thats not taken seriously but sea dragons are. i dont mean simply long necked seals or other hypothetical mammal sometimes said to be a ''sea serpent'' but an actual dragon .

what is the best evidence /against/ their existence?
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Name: Mark

Print view this post

Re: debunking sea serpents.

#34  Postby MarkgaB5 » Sep 09, 2013 8:02 pm

anyone?
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#35  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 09, 2013 8:06 pm

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby BlackBart » Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Never seen any robust evidence for them. Don't need evidence against them. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby MarkgaB5 » Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

sea serpents certainly exist, but sea serpents are mythical, depending on what you mean by 'sea serpent'. cryptozoologists refer to sea serpents as serpetine dragons. they claim that theres been 1200 sightings of them. nice pic
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#38  Postby Mazille » Sep 09, 2013 8:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish
There you go. Mystery solved.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#39  Postby chairman bill » Sep 09, 2013 9:08 pm

I was sea kayaking some years ago, and off to one side, a pod of dolphins began breaching as they swam alongside (about 100 metres away). As individual dolphins breached, they formed what appeared to be a succession of classic sea serpent 'hoops'. The pod looked like one single animal, with its back arching along it's length, in that classic sea serpent form

After that, I'd imagine the story simply grew, as some stories do in the telling
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Varangian » Sep 09, 2013 10:48 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:what is the best evidence /against/ their existence?

The rampant lack of sea serpents, perhaps?

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Debunking