Why do so many Americans believe in sea serpents?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Why do so many Americans believe in sea serpents?

#1  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 16, 2013 11:00 pm

in America one can say a sea dragon (''Sea Serpent'') lives in a local lake and eats people and its taken seriously yet in most parts of England if you said that you'd get laughed at. then there's these people who make up stories like oh I saw this huge sea dragon attack our boat, or I saved my friend from the jaws of a sea dragon..guys actually research this stuff, calling themselves ''zoologists''. just because oceans unexplored doesnt justify the existence of ice breathing ferocious made up creatures yet theres whole books written on 'finding' sea serpents (not sea snakes, the mythological creature that is an aquatic species of dragon and breathes ice and attacks sailors.).

Im originally from Brazil but came to the US a couple years back so i still dont get the culture stuff that goes on here..anyone care to enlighten me on this ? if i saw a weird wave or log in the water the first thing thatd come in my head certainly wouldnt be ''oh my gosh! a dragon!' :what:
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Name: Mark

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Why do so many Americans believe in sea serpents?

#2  Postby Shagz » Aug 16, 2013 11:17 pm

I saw a massive serpent, once. It resides not in a lake, but in my jeans.

Oh, sorry. Is this meant to be a serious discussion about how stupid Americans are?
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Better quality than previous trolling, in a "have you stopped beating your wife?" sort of way. 3/10.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm

Shagz wrote:I saw a massive serpent, once. It resides not in a lake, but in my jeans.

Oh, sorry. Is this meant to be a serious discussion about how stupid Americans are?

not stupid per se..perhaps superstitions
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#5  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 16, 2013 11:20 pm

yes this is a serious discussion because nearly all the sea serpent sightings and stories seem to come from the US or Canada..excluding Scotland
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#6  Postby jamest » Aug 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Shagz wrote:I saw a massive serpent, once. It resides not in a lake, but in my jeans.

How could you confuse your leg for a sea serpent, you dumb yankee?
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#7  Postby lobawad » Aug 16, 2013 11:27 pm

"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby MarkgaB5 » Aug 16, 2013 11:28 pm

lobawad wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish

I suppose in some angles it looks dragon-like :P
MarkgaB5
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 16, 2013 11:29 pm

MarkgaB5 wrote:

not stupid per se..perhaps superstitions

Yes, a fairly hilarious assessment coming from someone who really, really, really wants to believe in SHC.

MarkgaB5 wrote:yes this is a serious discussion because nearly all the sea serpent sightings and stories seem to come from the US or Canada..excluding Scotland

He's right, y'know. Spotted a serpent myself once. Monster he was, spanning a fathom and dark as pitch. Yellow eyes burn through you like you was nothin'. I hear she (all sea serpents are she's, mind) ate one o'the Hickman's horses in one bite, bones were spit up on shore for the next few days. Found me a new waterin' hole, I tell you whut.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby jamest » Aug 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Actually, may I suggest to the mods that we move this to the philosophy forum, where we can discuss conceptions of serpents consistent with reason. We're not going to get anywhere, otherwise.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Onyx8 » Aug 16, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm only aware of one such story in Canada. That of Ogopogo who was invented as a tourist attraction, and I have never heard of a single person who believes it is real. What information do you have regarding more stories?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Aug 16, 2013 11:39 pm

Onyx8 wrote:I'm only aware of one such story in Canada. That of Ogopogo who was invented as a tourist attraction, and I have never heard of a single person who believes it is real. What information do you have regarding more stories?

18 Canadian lake monsters at the last count! What is wrong with you lot? You'll believe in spontaneous human combustion next! :teef:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_re ... e_monsters
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby lobawad » Aug 17, 2013 12:03 am

MarkgaB5 wrote:
lobawad wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oarfish

I suppose in some angles it looks dragon-like :P

No, it looks like a sea serpent- they even used to be called that, though of course they're not really serpents. The ones that look like dragons are giant ribbonfish, which aren't as big but sometimes have huge and bizarre fins and appendages. They're caught or found once in a while, Decades ago I saw one which was caught in Half Moon Bay in California. It looked like it came from a sci-fi film.

This is the first I've ever heard of people believing in the silly kind of dragons you're talking about. Maybe it's a new fad or something.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Shagz » Aug 17, 2013 12:23 am

I never hear anyone talking here about sea snakes or dragons or whatever. I don't think I've even seen anything on TV about the Loch Ness monster in years.

Talk about UFO's, on the other hand... I hear that shit all the fucking time.
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Ironclad » Aug 17, 2013 12:28 am

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Topic relocated to Fun & Social.

Carry on! :popcorn:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Fenrir » Aug 17, 2013 12:35 am

Cause Brazil never had any strange myths involving water serpents or such rubbish, being all sensible and superior and the like.

Mboiacu not Brazilian then?
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#17  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 17, 2013 12:38 am

I blame Melville.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Aug 17, 2013 12:58 am

Onyx8 wrote:I'm only aware of one such story in Canada. That of Ogopogo who was invented as a tourist attraction, and I have never heard of a single person who believes it is real. What information do you have regarding more stories?

Yeah, I'd only heard of the one as well. I'm pretty sure people only believe in the Ogopogo in the way some kids believe in Santa. For everyone else the rest of the time it's just silly fun.

Going to have to check out these other Canadian lake serpents though. I bet some of the evidence for their existence is legit.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Seabass » Aug 17, 2013 2:17 am

Wait a minute... Sea serpents aren't real?? :ask:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka
Seabass

Name: Antifa Provocateur

Print view this post

#20  Postby johnbrandt » Aug 17, 2013 4:01 am

When they say "in a lake", I'm pretty damn skeptical...surely someone would have found hard evidence of such a creature, besides the fact it would need a breeding population and food supply.

However, when they say "in the ocean", it gets me curious. Given the frankly weird shit that comes up from deep in the ocean, there could be literally anything down there. On my brother in laws trawler...which he used to remove the nets from and turn into a "normal" ship to take the family out for a week at sea fishing...we used to bait a line and with massive sinkers reel out a kilometer or more of line down into the deep off the edge of the continental shelf or on other deep areas of ocean, leave it for an hour or so, and see what we could pull up.
There used to be some odd looking stuff, I can tell you!

Of course, all this goes out the window if you're talking about Loch Ness...of course Nessie is real!! :lol:
"One could spend their life looking for the perfect cherry blossom...and it would not be a wasted life"
johnbrandt

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to General Debunking