Your thoughts on this experience of mine

Meditation, sensation

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Your thoughts on this experience of mine

#1  Postby wispastic » Jan 09, 2016 10:48 am

Hello!

Ive recently decided to try incorporating crystals in my meditation and 2 nights ago intuitively set up two large quartz spheres (around 15 cm) on each side of my head before laying down while holding another smaller stone sphere in my hands. Meditated for a little over an hour before falling dreamlessly asleep and waking another hour later. Upon waking up, I remember feeling completely blissful and energised. As I became conscious the bodily feeling faded but I instantly decided I didnt want it to end and consciously tried to fall asleep again. Surprisingly it came back with quite some force and since I have been able to enter this state at will and if I meditate, I can even hold that state of feeling (state of consciousness?) for over several minutes.

To this day I have been researching and found this may be what some call ASMR (Autonomous sensory meridian response) although most people seem to need some sort of external stimulus through sound and intimacy or illusion of intimacy, which can be illustrated with youtube videos, although in my opinion are a little strange. I can relate to the kind of sensation described in those videos because of my experiences with intimacy in relationships, but never just as just sound stimulus. In agreement with ASMR, muscles behind my neck (internally) seem to tense whenever today I 'activate' the sensation.

Which made me think of how eardrums perceive sound waves through vibration which is then amplified by the three bones located behind them. Naturally these bones are attached to muscles.

As best as I can describe the feeling, its just bliss and orgasmic in a way. Can bliss be controlled by a muscle or a set of muscles? At some point the word 'nirvana' drifted through my thoughts, although I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with this subject.

Whatever this is, meditating with this has never quite so effective and enjoyable.
wispastic

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Your thoughts on this experience of mine

#2  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 09, 2016 11:33 am

I have severe chronic tinnitus. Dont need crystals. Plenty of vibrations and sound in my head 24/7.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#3  Postby wispastic » Jan 09, 2016 11:39 am

Do you have any control, even the slightest degree, at times? I also imagine this isn't something enjoyable?

The thing is, I don't hear any sounds during the feeling.
wispastic

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 09, 2016 11:41 am

wispastic wrote:Do you have any control, even the slightest degree, at times? I also imagine this isn't something enjoyable?

The thing is, I don't hear any sounds during the feeling.

I have minor control.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby wispastic » Jan 09, 2016 11:45 am

Does that involve any kind of neck muscle contraction?
wispastic

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

#6  Postby BlackBart » Jan 09, 2016 12:13 pm

wispastic wrote:
Which made me think of how eardrums perceive sound waves through vibration which is then amplified by the three bones located behind them.

No they don't amplify sound - the merely transmit the sound from the eardrum to the oval window - it's because the eardrum is much larger than the oval window that the sound is amplified within the inner ear.

Naturally these bones are attached to muscles.

No they're not. They're stabilised by ligaments but they're attached to the wall of the tympanic wall. No muscles are involved.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby wispastic » Jan 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Okay, I stand corrected. But my curiosity remains, what is going on?
wispastic

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby BlackBart » Jan 09, 2016 12:40 pm

No idea. Basically what you've given here is a personal anecdote and an isolated incident. You'd need to provide more reproducible data with sufficient controls over a wider example base before anyone could give a meaningful answer. No robust evidence has ever been provided that crystals have any benefit, so I suspect what you're experiencing here is more psychological than physical.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mike_L » Jan 09, 2016 1:44 pm

According to my admittedly limited reading on the topic (mostly a 2003 Time Magazine article, now behind a paywall), euphoria / bliss naturally occur in meditative states.
This "Jhana state" is not always experienced, although there are (allegedly) techniques to "get there".

It's not likely that the quartz crystals have any influence one way or another, and muscle contractions are more likely the result of euphoria than the cause thereof.

This Wikipedia article may be of interest...

Brain activity and meditation
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby ADParker » Jan 10, 2016 7:40 am

BlackBart wrote:

No they're not. They're stabilised by ligaments but they're attached to the wall of the tympanic wall. No muscles are involved.

Actually there are two muscles involved with the three middle ear bones (malleus, incus, and stapes).
These are the Stapedius muscle (smallest skeletal muscle in the human body, stabilizes the stapes) and the Tensor tympani muscle (dampens sound, inserted into the malleus).
;)

Neither at all likely to be the muscles referred to in the OP however.
Reason Over Faith
ADParker
RS Donator

Name: Andrew
Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#11  Postby wispastic » Jan 10, 2016 10:15 pm

Thanks for the input!
wispastic

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

#12  Postby BlackBart » Jan 11, 2016 9:42 am

ADParker wrote:
BlackBart wrote:

Actually there are two muscles involved with the three middle ear bones (malleus, incus, and stapes).
These are the Stapedius muscle (smallest skeletal muscle in the human body, stabilizes the stapes) and the Tensor tympani muscle (dampens sound, inserted into the malleus).
;)

Neither at all likely to be the muscles referred to in the OP however.

Ooops! Remind me to never get biological information from a Biology teacher! :lol:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Nicko » Jan 11, 2016 1:54 pm

Mike_L wrote:According to my admittedly limited reading on the topic (mostly a 2003 Time Magazine article, now behind a paywall), euphoria / bliss naturally occur in meditative states.
This "Jhana state" is not always experienced, although there are (allegedly) techniques to "get there".

It's not likely that the quartz crystals have any influence one way or another, and muscle contractions are more likely the result of euphoria than the cause thereof.

This Wikipedia article may be of interest...

Brain activity and meditation

It's not beyond the realm of conceivable possibility that the ritualistic aspect of placing and holding objects combined with some emotional significance attached to the objects might affect brain activity during meditation.

Seems to have had a positive result for the OP.

I'd advise him to keep doing what he's doing for as long as it works for him.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Sendraks » Jan 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Pretty much what Nicko said.

I'm glad the OP enjoyed their experience and it continues to work for them.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Mike_L » Jan 11, 2016 3:18 pm

:nod:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby quas » Jan 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Weird. Never thought of ASMR as feelings of bliss. It's more of like frisson.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Return to General Debunking