Advice for Believers

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Advice for Believers

#41  Postby DanDare » May 23, 2011 9:38 am

THWOTH wrote:You really shouldn't lump all crackpots together like that.

I saw what you did there.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby lobawad » Jul 18, 2011 9:56 pm

My advice for Believers would be to immediately make clear your disassociation from any the world's churches, in order to make clear that the deity in which you believe is not indistinguishable, and therefore reasonably identical to, some social construct complete with hierarchies of power.
"Never give succor to the mentally ill; it is a bottomless pit."
- William Burroughs
lobawad

Name: Cameron Bobro

Georgia (ge)
Print view this post

#43  Postby rodcarty » Aug 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Mick wrote:It's odd that the OP is directed toward theists.

It makes no sense to me that you find this odd. It's a post titled "Advice for Believers", so it's obvious it's going to be directed at theists. It's in a topic called Theism as well.
rodcarty

Name: Rod Carty

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Nicko » Feb 13, 2012 1:32 pm

I suppose that my advice would be to note the name of the website.

Rational Skepticism.

Rational as in if you express a opinion, it will be assumed that you have reasons for holding that opinion and are prepared to supply them.

Skeptical as in claims will not be accepted just on someone's say so.

This does not just hold for the topic of religion, but for any topic discussed. There is more than enough space on this forum for any theist to be a prolific poster without once putting their beliefs in the line of fire. No one will force you to discuss religion if you don't want to. If you choose to, however, be aware that religious questions are treated like any other area of human endeavor. If you make a claim you will be asked to back it up. It cut both ways, of course, so feel free to ask the same of anyone.

People are not being "rude" when they ask you why you hold a certain opinion, nor when they reject an opinion presented without reasons, they are merely being rationally skeptical.

Just like it says on the box.

Oh, and just remember, this may be the first time you've conversed with a pack of godless heathens; this is not the first time we've conversed with a believer. Pretty much every "proof" of God ever invented has been discussed already and found to be invalid, unsound or both. Don't trot out the Kalam Cosmological Argument or the Ontological Argument and expect people to be impressed.

The reverse will probably be the case.

Oh, and learn what plagarism is and don't do it.
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#45  Postby jerome » Feb 15, 2012 2:10 pm

Nicko wrote:

Oh, and just remember, this may be the first time you've conversed with a pack of godless heathens; this is not the first time we've conversed with a believer. Pretty much every "proof" of God ever invented has been discussed already and found to be invalid, unsound or both. Don't trot out the Kalam Cosmological Argument or the Ontological Argument and expect people to be impressed.

Good advice Nicko :cheers:

However I'm not sure that most British atheists would know the kalam cosmological or the ontological, or indeed the teleological argument for God and Paley's Watchmaker analogy, if it bit them on the arse. This is by no means a criticism of the atheists -- it's just that where I live at least Atheism is a pretty much automatic default, and any kind of religious faith is exceptional. I would imagine very few of my atheist mates have ever had occasion to, or desire to, deeply question the Aquinan proofs, or met any one who would have argued them against them, or indeed ever heard of them. They are highly educated clever and sociable people -- they just don't deal with theistic proofs much!

Informed atheists gather on sites like this: but the average unbeliever in the UK probably does not know said arguments, or their rebuttals, though they can wiki them quickly enough if they have a desire to, unlike my youth when only the fact I studied Philosophy of Religion meant I would have even understood what you are on about here!

I'm always up for a critical discussion or even a formal debate on some aspect of my religious beliefs btw, if you ever have the time. :cheers:

j x
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby rainbow » Feb 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Nicko wrote:Rational as in if you express a opinion, it will be assumed that you have reasons for holding that opinion and are prepared to supply them.

Can't we just assume things and not supply a reason?
Kill the Wise One!
http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/155419

"Það er ekki til betri tími en núna til að fresta"
rainbow
Banned User

Name: Señor Moderato

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#47  Postby chairman bill » Feb 15, 2012 2:27 pm

rainbow wrote:Can't we just assume things and not supply a reason?

plenty of our resident theists do just that anyway
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby rainbow » Feb 15, 2012 2:30 pm

chairman bill wrote:

Why do you think that?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Nicko » Feb 15, 2012 2:31 pm

chairman bill wrote:

My point is, they get called on it. And seem surprised when it happens.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#50  Postby rainbow » Feb 15, 2012 2:34 pm

Nicko wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

Can't they just ignore the question?
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 15, 2012 2:41 pm

rainbow wrote:
Nicko wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

Why don't you write some advice on how to post like Rainbow?

Oh, that would present some problems, wouldn't it?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby trevp » Feb 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Nicko wrote:
chairman bill wrote:

Or would it?

(PS - how am I doing Rainbow?)
trevp

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#53  Postby hackenslash » Feb 15, 2012 3:20 pm

jerome wrote:
Nicko wrote:

However I'm not sure that most British atheists would know the kalam cosmological or the ontological, or indeed the teleological argument for God and Paley's Watchmaker analogy, if it bit them on the arse. This is by no means a criticism of the atheists -- it's just that where I live at least Atheism is a pretty much automatic default, and any kind of religious faith is exceptional. I would imagine very few of my atheist mates have ever had occasion to, or desire to, deeply question the Aquinan proofs, or met any one who would have argued them against them, or indeed ever heard of them. They are highly educated clever and sociable people -- they just don't deal with theistic proofs much!

Informed atheists gather on sites like this: but the average unbeliever in the UK probably does not know said arguments, or their rebuttals, though they can wiki them quickly enough if they have a desire to, unlike my youth when only the fact I studied Philosophy of Religion meant I would have even understood what you are on about here!

I'm always up for a critical discussion or even a formal debate on some aspect of my religious beliefs btw, if you ever have the time. :cheers:

j x

:clap:

Exactly. Indeed, I have quite a few of what many interlocutors hereabouts would call 'militant atheists' among my friends, and this is true of even them. Most of them have some familiarity with these concepts only because they've come up in discussion with me. Indeed, most wouldn't be able to correctly identify a logical fallacy, although to be fair they would usually be able to spot a fallacy when one is committed. They aren't complete numpties, after all.
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#54  Postby Lion IRC » Feb 16, 2012 12:31 am

jerome wrote:
Nicko wrote:

j x

No. It's not good advice because it's based on something which is ITSELF an unsubstantiated claim - an opinion.
"Pretty much every "proof" of God ever invented has been discussed already and found to be invalid, unsound or both."

Beware of claims which rest on the logical fallacy...everybody knows... everyone agrees with...we all blah blah blah...

I am as entitled to be skeptical of atheism - the no god hypothesis - as I am to be skeptical of any other unsupported theory.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#55  Postby Fallible » Feb 16, 2012 12:36 am

Blah hypothesis, blah theory...just more cack-handed nonsense. :sigh:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Lion IRC » Feb 16, 2012 12:37 am

Fallible wrote:Blah hypothesis, blah theory...just more cack-handed nonsense. :sigh:

EXACTLY!
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#57  Postby Nicko » Feb 16, 2012 1:39 am

Lion IRC wrote:No. It's not good advice because it's based on something which is ITSELF an unsubstantiated claim - an opinion.
"Pretty much every "proof" of God ever invented has been discussed already and found to be invalid, unsound or both."

Beware of claims which rest on the logical fallacy...everybody knows... everyone agrees with...we all blah blah blah...

My claim does not rest on a fallacy. Largely because it is not a claim at all, it is an observation supported by the entirety of the "Belief & Unbelief" section of this site.

If you have some argument for the existence of God that has not been examined on this site, why are you complaining here instead of off proving God's existence in a thread devoted to it? If you can provide an unrefutable proof of God, I will apologise to you unreservedly. Regardless, the non-existence of an unrefuted proof of God on this site is currently a fact.

My actual point was that it is a good idea to examine whether a subject has already been discussed, and engaging with the ongoing discussion, before raising it as if it had not been discussed and you are privy to some kind of revolutionary argument that we should all be amazed by. Such a strategy would result in many people here recieving responses that they would perceive to be more "polite", rather than, "Oh no, do we have to refute this nonsense again?".

For instance, if there is an active thread discussing the validity of the Kalam Cosmological Argument, use that thread to discuss the Kalam. If you think the objections to it are invalid, give your reasons.

Don't inject it into another thread as if no objections existed to it, as this may lead people to develop negative opinions about your honesty or intelligence.

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Lion IRC » Feb 16, 2012 4:29 am

You didnt say...every proof of God ever invented has been "examined" on this site.

You said every single one had been "found to be invalid, unsound or both."

And you werent speaking on your own behalf either were you.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#59  Postby Lion IRC » Feb 16, 2012 4:32 am

It's not a claim, it's an observation.

If only it was THAT simple.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#60  Postby rainbow » Feb 16, 2012 6:30 am

trevp wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
rainbow wrote:
Nicko wrote:

Or would it?

I can't say. I usually ignore Spear, so I'm not inclined to reply.

(PS - how am I doing Rainbow?)

Really good.
Kill the Wise One!

rainbow
Banned User

Mozambique (mz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism