BBC to air more religious programming

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

BBC to air more religious programming

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 20, 2017 1:30 pm

The BBC has pledged to "raise our game" on religion by increasing the portrayal of all faiths in mainstream shows.

The corporation said it would "enhance" the representation of religion on TV and radio dramas and documentaries.

It said it would also create a new global religious affairs team, headed by a religion editor, in BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42412869

I've got mixed feelings about this personally - on the one hand it seems unfortunate that they will be suggesting reigious adherence is the norm in the UK; but on the other hand shining a spotlight on religion could well show up the absurdity of it all - especially if many faiths are depicted in depth as this could well make many people think "well who's right? Why did a choose by beliefs over theirs?" etc.
Arthur : All my life I've had this strange feeling that there's something big and sinister going on in the world. Slartibartfast : No, that's perfectly normal paranoia.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: BBC to air more religious programming

#2  Postby zulumoose » Dec 20, 2017 1:36 pm

on the other hand shining a spotlight on religion could well show up the absurdity of it all

Not likely. In the interest of sensitivity and balance, they will attempt to portray all religions as reasonable and peaceful. It will not be a spotlight so much as a gentle rosy glow.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matthew Shute » Dec 20, 2017 3:22 pm

"Raising our game" would be a pretty self-congratulatory way to refer to putting out more dull TV genuflecting to superstitious bullshit, even a bit of outright apologia and slick PR for various delusional ideologies here and there; but I suspect that's all they really mean by it.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ironclad » Dec 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Christ..
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blackadder » Dec 20, 2017 5:34 pm

The BBC won't do anything that could offend religious sensibilities. And their religious broadcasting department is now run by a cabal of muslims and muslim sympathisers. They are worse than the bloody Guardian newspaper in this regard. There is only one meaning of "enhance...representation...of religion", where the fucking BBC are concerned. Expect more craven arse-licking of the Religion of Peace.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Matthew Shute » Dec 20, 2017 5:56 pm

Expect it I will. I only wonder how truly dismal it will be.

"After the 9 o'clock documentary on how the Prophet Muhammad invented feminism and abolished slavery (no, he didn't own slaves himself, shut up), at 10 o'clock, Mo Ansar explains that members of ISIS aren't motivated by religious ideology in any way, but are actually mean atheists who wouldn't know a Quran from a Charlie Hebdo Islamic edition..."
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wortfish » Nov 04, 2018 11:52 am

If Channel 4 can produce a series called "Enemies of Reason" then the Beeb should produced one called "Enemies of God" and interview Dawkins, Coyne, PZMyers, Krauss and others.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Fallible » Nov 04, 2018 11:55 am

They definitely should.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Nov 04, 2018 1:05 pm

Wortfish wrote:If Channel 4 can produce a series called "Enemies of Reason" then the Beeb should produced one called "Enemies of God" and interview Dawkins, Coyne, PZMyers, Krauss and others.

Will there be a gunge tank!? Oh, say there will!! :awesome:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Blackadder » Nov 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Wortfish wrote:If Channel 4 can produce a series called "Enemies of Reason" then the Beeb should produced one called "Enemies of God" and interview Dawkins, Coyne, PZMyers, Krauss and others.

They probably will. Like I said before, the BBC will lick the arses of the religious, especially Muslims. But then again, the BBC is run by dimwits these days, so it’s hardly surprising that they would indulge the stupid and infantile who still believe in invisible creatures that talk to them. Religious idiocy is a persistent affliction of the human race. Like herpes. The BBC are fully infected.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Evolving » Nov 05, 2018 9:08 pm

They still have "Thought for the Day" every morning during the Today programme. When I lived in London I used to take that slot as the signal to turn off the radio and go to work.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Hamster » Nov 05, 2018 10:51 pm

Well if they open it up to all religions, Songs of Praise might be more entertaining when they have some pagan, satanist or such-like congregation.

I can't wait to see a Zoroastrianist character arrive in Albert Square and start pulling pints at the Vic.
Hamster

Print view this post

Return to Theism