Christian fundamentalist calls professor Richard Lenski

and starts out by outright lying

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Christian fundamentalist calls professor Richard Lenski

#1  Postby Rumraket » Jan 11, 2015 5:49 pm

http://telliamedrevisited.wordpress.com/2015/01/05/eppur-si-muove/

Eppur Si Muove
Over the break, I watched a couple of episodes of The West Wing including one about political attacks on science called Eppur Si Muove.

It reminded me – a lot – of an experience that I had 20 years ago, back in 1995. As in that episode, I received a phone call while at work that began with false praise as a ploy to keep me on the line. I was very upset at the time, and so I immediately wrote about what had happened.

Blogs didn’t exist back then, and so I submitted my essay to Newsweek magazine, which had a one-page feature called “My Turn” that offered the opportunity to reach a large and broad audience. Alas, it was not published. Here it is now:

Science, Church and State

Today I had a most remarkable, and disturbing, phone call

by Richard E. Lenski

Before I tell you about that call, let me explain why I want to tell you. As a scientist, I know my profession often does an inadequate job of helping the public understand our work and why it is worthy of support. As a United States citizen, I feel compelled to speak out against those increasingly loud voices who denounce science while claiming that only their religious beliefs are the truth.

I am a university professor, and I study the evolution of microorganisms such as bacteria. Bacteria reproduce so quickly that it is possible to study their evolution in the laboratory. The bacteria in my experiments undergo many generations every day, and each small flask holds millions of individuals. Over the course of months and years, my students and I can see actual changes in the physical appearance and genetic makeup of the bacteria. These changes demonstrate the evolutionary principles of randomness – different mutations occurred in different flasks – and adaptation by natural selection, whereby these bacteria became better suited to the environment in the flasks.

Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Re: Christian fundamentalist calls professor Richard Lenski

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 12, 2015 3:09 am

Amazing how fundamentalists who all think they're morally superior to the rest of us, just because they have a mythology rectally inserted, routinely demonstrate that they're not. Or not so amazing, when you realise that being a fundamentalist requires you to lie to yourself as well as others to keep adherence to your beloved doctrine alive.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Rumraket » Jan 12, 2015 3:18 am

Yeah not only that. Maybe shit like this happens frequently but I'm just amazed we've now gotten to the point where researchers in evolution have to answer private phone calls from religious nutbags.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#4  Postby Greyman » Jan 12, 2015 5:13 am

Rumraket wrote:
Yeah not only that. Maybe shit like this happens frequently but I'm just amazed we've now gotten to the point where researchers in evolution have to answer private phone calls from religious nutbags.

Actually, this is historic. What this demonstrates is that the behaviour predates social media, which now provides an easier outlet than tracking down private numbers. I'd consider this progress ... of sorts.

( It's a trade off. More trolls on the web, but fewer on the phone. )
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Theism