Christianity Under Attack

Ooops...

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Christianity Under Attack

#1  Postby lyingcheat » Jun 06, 2018 2:27 pm

The crocodilian version of taking the sacrament.
A baptism in Ethiopia has gone horribly wrong, with a crocodile attacking and killing the pastor during a waterside service.

Eighty people were gathered at Lake Abaya while Docho Eshetem, the Protestant clergyman, conducted a mass baptism in the shallow water.
"He baptised the first person and he passed on to another one," a local resident told the BBC.
"All of a sudden, a crocodile jumped out of the lake and grabbed the pastor."

Nature casually snatching a ranking henchman during a ceremony the christian god thing might be expected to want to encourage?
If, as it is sometimes witlessly alleged, 'the glorious awe inspiring beauty of nature' is evidence for the christian version of a god thing then incidents such as this are equally compelling evidence against.
> Insert Witty Signature Phrase Here <
lyingcheat

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Christianity Under Attack

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 06, 2018 3:18 pm

What sort of idiot goes wading into a lake containing crocodiles, and encourages others to do likewise?

Darwin Award in the post, perchance?
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Jun 06, 2018 3:21 pm

God works in mysterious ways. The crocodile was sent to test the pastor’s faith. :grin:
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Arcanyn » Jun 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Sobek was punishing him for worshipping the wrong god.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Jun 06, 2018 4:26 pm

He should have just sprayed it with Doom.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby scott1328 » Jun 06, 2018 5:29 pm

Won't someone please think of that poor crocodile and the massive indigestion it must have endured?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Briton » Jun 06, 2018 6:33 pm

lyingcheat wrote:The crocodilian version of taking the sacrament.
A baptism in Ethiopia has gone horribly wrong, with a crocodile attacking and killing the pastor during a waterside service.

Eighty people were gathered at Lake Abaya while Docho Eshetem, the Protestant clergyman, conducted a mass baptism in the shallow water.
"He baptised the first person and he passed on to another one," a local resident told the BBC.
"All of a sudden, a crocodile jumped out of the lake and grabbed the pastor."

Nature casually snatching a ranking henchman during a ceremony the christian god thing might be expected to want to encourage?
If, as it is sometimes witlessly alleged, 'the glorious awe inspiring beauty of nature' is evidence for the christian version of a god thing then incidents such as this are equally compelling evidence against.

They can just explain it away as the work of Old Nick.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Hamster » Jun 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Blackadder wrote:God works in mysterious ways. The crocodile was sent to test the pastor’s faith. :grin:

Is it a test or is it just a particularly savage critique?
Either way god seems a hard marker; though I guess technically we don't know how the pastor scored.
Is being torn apart by one crocodile a pass?
Hamster

Print view this post

#9  Postby Cito di Pense » Jun 07, 2018 10:31 am

If only it had been a crocoduck, I would now count myself among the believers. Wouldst thou yet deny the Lord thy God?
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Alan B » Jun 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Erm, I seem to remember a similar incident (I might even had posted it) on RDF, some years back. Are we sure this is recent news? The circumstances sound awfully familiar... :scratch:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Matt_B » Jun 09, 2018 4:48 am

I'm not sure what the significance of the crocodile is, but if had been a couple of bears we'd be able to assume that he'd just been rude to a bald person. :grin:
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jun 09, 2018 4:50 am

If I could send bears to eat them the little fuckers would stay off my goddamn lawn.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby z8000783 » Jun 09, 2018 12:28 pm

I've never heard of a crocodile eating pastor before. I wonder what religion it was.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby PensivePenny » Jun 09, 2018 12:31 pm

z8000783 wrote:I've never heard of a crocodile eating pastor before. I wonder what religion it was.

John

The prehistoric reptile or the crocodile?
Evolution saddens me. In an environment where irrational thinking is protected, the disparity in the population rate of creationists vs that of rational thinkers, equates to a creationist win. Let's remove warning labels from products as an equalizer.
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby pelfdaddy » Jun 09, 2018 12:53 pm

Believers will find ways to make even this unaccountable circumstance fit nicely into their theology. Stranger still...Various believers will find various ways to make it fit their various theologies.

And there...perhaps...is one of the oddest features of theology; it's infinite flexibility--it's aptitude for adapting to any and all problems (whether through an application of arbitrarily conjured-up fundamental principles at one end of the spectrum, or the spitballing of ad hoc rationalizations at the other).

The reasoned and logical perspective identifies this as a weakness (that which explains everything explains nothing), while apologetics allow it to masquerade as a strength.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby laklak » Jun 09, 2018 2:07 pm

That's also it's greatest strength.

As for crocodile eating pastors, they serve fried gator at church functions here. Close enough for government work.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Skinny Puppy » Jun 09, 2018 4:19 pm

pelfdaddy wrote:Believers will find ways to make even this unaccountable circumstance fit nicely into their theology. Stranger still...Various believers will find various ways to make it fit their various theologies.

And there...perhaps...is one of the oddest features of theology; it's infinite flexibility--it's aptitude for adapting to any and all problems (whether through an application of arbitrarily conjured-up fundamental principles at one end of the spectrum, or the spitballing of ad hoc rationalizations at the other).

The reasoned and logical perspective identifies this as a weakness (that which explains everything explains nothing), while apologetics allow it to masquerade as a strength.

Hi pelfdaddy :wave:

From an ex-Pentecostal POV, we would have used this to explain it:

MATTHEW 5:45

Would you agree or disagree?
Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby pelfdaddy » Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi Skinny,

Yea, that would be one way. Interestingly, as an ex-pentecostal as well, I had the entire Sermon on the Mount memorized. Ironically, the verse you cite was the only one I had to quote with any frequency. I think this was because so much random shit was always going wrong in life.

It's funny now.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Theism