Divine Women - God was a Girl, says Bettany Hughes

"97 per cent of all deities of wisdom have been female."

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Divine Women - God was a Girl, says Bettany Hughes

#1  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2012 9:09 am

New BBC2 series Wed 11th at 21:00.

Could be interesting.

God was a Girl
Last edited by Alan B on Apr 06, 2012 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Divine Women - God was a Girl, says Bettany Hughs

#2  Postby chairman bill » Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am

No doubt various theists of whatever stripe, will get agitated about this, but frankly, I couldn't give a shit. There's simply so much misogynistic bollocks in the bible, the idea of today's misogynists accepting her argument is laughable. They'll point to the anti-women bits & offer that as evidence for thier point of view. Change will be a long time coming, and by the time it does, hopefully these people will ahve seen the light ... and abandoned this Christianity nonsense.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Apr 06, 2012 9:27 am

Thus woman created God.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby JoeB » Apr 06, 2012 9:40 am

Consider this: throughout the history of humanity, 97 per cent of all deities of wisdom have been female.

How does this argue for christianity's train wreck of a god being female?
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan B » Apr 06, 2012 10:10 am

JoeB wrote:
Consider this: throughout the history of humanity, 97 per cent of all deities of wisdom have been female.

How does this argue for christianity's train wreck of a god being female?

I don't think she is specifically targeting Christianity:
Hughes is the presenter of a forthcoming BBC Two series, Divine Women, which explores the hidden history of women in world religions and challenges the belief that women should not be priests.
My Bold.
But I agree, Christianity and other misogynist religions have 'train wrecked' the concept of 'God'.

It is a series of three, so perhaps we should wait to see what she says.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Divine Women - God was a Girl, says Bettany Hughes

#6  Postby orpheus » Apr 06, 2012 12:08 pm

I've always wondered why women would want to be priests? Why would they want to stoop so low?
Let's try for peace in 2018, shall we?
orpheus

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thommo » Apr 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Alan B wrote:
Hughes is the presenter of a forthcoming BBC Two series, Divine Women, which explores the hidden history of women in world religions and challenges the belief that women should not be priests.

I'd be a lot more interested if she was instead challenging the belief that men should be priests.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Skinny Puppy » Apr 06, 2012 1:04 pm

Last month a feminist theologian offered a radical take on gender roles in Christianity when she argued that Jesus could have been a hermaphrodite.

Dr Susannah Cornwall of Manchester University published an academic paper in which she said: “It is not possible to assert with any degree of certainty that Jesus was male as we now define maleness.

“There is no way of knowing for sure that Jesus did not have one of the intersex conditions which would give him a body which appeared externally to be unremarkably male, but which might nonetheless have had some ‘hidden’ female physical features.”
The fact Jesus had no children made his gender status “even more uncertain”, she added.

God was a Girl

And in other news Henny Penny had predicted that the sky was falling... this just in!

Skinny Puppy

Name: Sherlock Jeffrey Puppy
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Another theist propaganda show.

They are doing this more often. There is one about the life of jesus on just now. Another one about the bible.

No criticle programme just pure propaganda.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby John P. M. » Apr 06, 2012 2:10 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
“There is no way of knowing for sure that Jesus did not have

Now there's some sound reasoning skills. Follow that through, and you can come up with all sorts of interesting hot air.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#11  Postby dalv8409 » Apr 06, 2012 8:07 pm

There is only one Goddess and she is my girlfriend. :grin: Seriously this is more proof that the BBC is getting more pro-religion then ever, how much do they spend on religious bullshit every year? Imagine what programmes they could make if they cut their religious programming completely if they spend alot.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nostalgia » Apr 07, 2012 12:35 am

The problem with that idea dalv is that religious folks pay their licence fee like you and me and they have every right to expect their fair share of broadcasting.

If the BBC was truly "pro-religion" instead of just airing a wide range of different opinions on existential matters do you honestly think they would of made The Bible's Buried Secrets, a show hosted by an atheist bible scholar that examined the polytheist origins of Abrahamism and pissed of a hell of a lot of Xians?

To get back on topic: there's an interesting theory that I read somewhere was the reason male deities began to take over from females ones was because as we transformed from a primary tribal species to an agricultural one the important role of the fertile female (and the magic surrounding conception and birth) was reduced.

Thus, this:

became this:

We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Apr 07, 2012 12:45 am

This is taking the "god is a cunt argument" a little too far! :-)

Mysogenists were responsible for the death of Ms. God.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#14  Postby MattHunX » Apr 07, 2012 7:10 am

Hey, now that they bring it up, it's actually rather interesting and perhaps odd, that so many female deities were created in the minds of early(er) humans, and that some of them were worshiped as the deities of wisdom, of all things. Considering all the misogyny present in scripture and how gender-equality is still far from being completely wide-spread, I find it strange how men, people with penises, could come to worship goddesses. Or was it the females of a...tribe (to move back further in history), their imagination and superstition from where these female deities originate from. I'm just having a bit of difficulty seeing how the males would make up beings of power, who are women, with more wisdom and more power than...the men themselves? Not quite patriarchal. :scratch:

Some more info from basic anthropology, and I'll understand this, too. :)
MattHunX

Print view this post

#15  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2012 7:16 am

MacIver wrote:

became this:

Are there any speculations/knowledge/understanding about what that ridge is on the breasts? Seems weird to me. Is it clothes or something?
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Thommo » Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am

Aren't they the arms?
Thommo

Print view this post

#17  Postby Onyx8 » Apr 07, 2012 9:27 am

Well yes, of course they are, how did I never see that before?

The problem with learning stuff is that you feel like such a twat for not figuring it out yourself.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thommo » Apr 07, 2012 9:57 am

:lol:

That's one of the things I miss about being a kid, being able to ask questions about everything. Now I'm grown up I feel I ought to have learned... something. :(
Thommo

Print view this post

#19  Postby Alan B » Apr 07, 2012 10:48 am

MattHunX wrote:Hey, now that they bring it up, it's actually rather interesting and perhaps odd, that so many female deities were created in the minds of early(er) humans, and that some of them were worshiped as the deities of wisdom, of all things. Considering all the misogyny present in scripture and how gender-equality is still far from being completely wide-spread, I find it strange how men, people with penises, could come to worship goddesses. Or was it the females of a...tribe (to move back further in history), their imagination and superstition from where these female deities originate from. I'm just having a bit of difficulty seeing how the males would make up beings of power, who are women, with more wisdom and more power than...the men themselves? Not quite patriarchal. :scratch:

Some more info from basic anthropology, and I'll understand this, too. :)

The first example that comes to mind is Sophia, the Goddess of Wisdom: Wiki
Sophia (Σοφíα, Greek for "wisdom") is a central idea in Hellenistic philosophy and religion, Platonism, Gnosticism, Orthodox Christianity, Esoteric Christianity, as well as Christian mysticism. Sophiology is a philosophical concept regarding wisdom, as well as a theological concept regarding the wisdom of God.

Not quite on topic, but while 'Googling' I came across this little gem...
A Catholic Misogynist View
Among other aberrations many feminists seem to be trying to present Sophia, Wisdom, as a goddess.

and
Some feminists want intensely to be priests. We suspect it is a case of insane jealousy - that that into which King Saul
seems to have fallen.

:picard:
Or perhaps this article by Fr. William Most indicates the male mind-set common in early religions - not just Christianity.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Nebogipfel » Apr 07, 2012 11:29 am

I don't know if God is a woman, but women are certainly divine...
Once again, the only sensible approach is tentatively to reject the dragon hypothesis, to be open to future physical data, and to wonder what the cause might be that so many apparently sane and sober people share the same strange delusion
-- Carl Sagan
Nebogipfel

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism