Do some people need god to be good?

the carrot of heaven, the stick of hell etc.

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Do some people need belief in God to be good?

Yes
19%
Probably
10%
No eye deer
No votes
Probably not
29%
No
38%
Half pound cheeseburger with salad and mayo
5%

Total votes : 21

Do some people need god to be good?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 21, 2016 7:31 pm

Do you think theism is bad for civilisation?

Not really, I think we still need it. Haven't you heard theists argue that without God everybody would be raping and murdering? They're talking about themselves when they say that. Not everyone can keep an even keel without the carrot of Heaven and the stick of Hell.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician. Clean, dry and tobacco free as of 24/4/2017.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Do some people need god to be good?

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 21, 2016 8:10 pm

God? No.

Some education? There's your huckleberry.
"In the face of overwhelming odds, I'm left with only one option: I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this."

Astronaut Mark Watney, logging about his status of being stranded on Mars, in Andy Weir's book, The Martian
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Evolving » Nov 21, 2016 8:11 pm

I do think that our polity is more humane and - let's face it - legal since we have a vigilant press scrutinizing what our politicians and civil servants do. Very tempting otherwise to fudge and hope no one notices.

Transparency. Glasnost. Even if we'd have behaved properly anyway, better safe than sorry.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Olving

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Even if psychopaths did need god to be good there'd have to be more of them than ISIS etc. in order for it to make the god delusion a good thing...
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician. Clean, dry and tobacco free as of 24/4/2017.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#5  Postby TopCat » Nov 21, 2016 8:33 pm

I offer this as an evidence-free, 'gut-feel' opinion only.

I don't need god to be good. I don't think good people need god to be good. I think good, intelligent people are likely to need god the least, to be good.

However, the veneer of civilisation is very thin. I wouldn't like everyone that isn't good and intelligent to wake up tomorrow morning, and think, "hmm, I can do any damn thing I like".
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Cito di Pense » Nov 21, 2016 8:37 pm

It depends on how good you want some people to be.

I guess if you have unreasonable expectations about how good people are going to be, you might end up saying that they need god in order to be good.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Ivar Poäng
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tuco » Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Good like me, I do not think so, its not statistically probable.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby scott1328 » Nov 21, 2016 8:38 pm

Good people do not need religion to be good. Bad people will do evil regardless of their beliefs.

For good people to commit evil acts requires religion.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby THWOTH » Nov 24, 2016 10:06 am

What's good about God?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby zoon » Nov 24, 2016 11:14 am

Evolving wrote:I do think that our polity is more humane and - let's face it - legal since we have a vigilant press scrutinizing what our politicians and civil servants do. Very tempting otherwise to fudge and hope no one notices.

Transparency. Glasnost. Even if we'd have behaved properly anyway, better safe than sorry.

I agree, I'm very much with H.L. Mencken when he wrote: "Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody may be looking."

A functioning society and the expectation of being found out keep most people on the straight and narrow, from hunter-gatherers on. At the same time, most societies, I think all hunter-gatherer societies which have been studied, have some sort of belief in a spirit world, including expected retribution for sinful behaviour from gods or spirits or karma. We may even be wired up to expect this, and need some extra work to live without it? - like the inbuilt tendency to overeat sweet things, which were not common in the environment where humans evolved.

It can be disorientating for a society or individual to lose the belief in supernatural moral oversight quickly, there may well be a sense that all is permitted. The spread of atheism in Western societies has been going on for centuries, long enough to adjust, but even now it's unclear where morality fits in to the scientific world view, what the social and psychological mechanisms are. Like vision, they're probably more complicated than they feel.
Last edited by zoon on Nov 24, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoon

Print view this post

#11  Postby Sendraks » Nov 24, 2016 11:16 am

The_Metatron wrote:God? No.

Some education? There's your huckleberry.

:this:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 24, 2016 12:40 pm

THWOTH wrote:What's good about God?

Yes I noticed the problem with the thread title. I should have called it "do some people need to believe in god in order to be good?"
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Sendraks » Nov 24, 2016 12:56 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Yes I noticed the problem with the thread title. I should have called it "do some people need to believe in god in order to be good?"

Does believing in god mean that the person is good? There are some examples of horribly indoctrinated people out there who are, without extensive rehabilitation, pretty much incapable of moral actions without the guidance of whatever set of religious laws they've decided to follow. They need to believe, because that is all they know. Do their beliefs and how they act on them make them "good?" Only within the confines of their belief system or culture.

And there in lies the problem. There are different belief systems with different rules setting out what "god" or "gods" consider to be "good" behaviour. They can't all be right and some of the belief systems have conflicting rules setting out what is "good" behaviour. Which one is the right one? Which definition of "good" is correct?

The lack of crisp definitions for what constitutes "good" and competing dogma, means that religion is the last place to look for guidance on what it means to be "good."
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby THWOTH » Nov 24, 2016 3:46 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
THWOTH wrote:What's good about God?

Yes I noticed the problem with the thread title. I should have called it "do some people need to believe in god in order to be good?"

The question wasn't to the thread title, though I take your point.

What good can be achieved by a god-believer that cannot be achieved by a non-believer also? In other words, what goods are only achievable through a belief in God? What is good about God, such that any goodness of any kind is dependent upon a belief therein?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Nov 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Maybe, the same good that can be achieved by laws, in other words, a kind of order based on a kind of rules.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 24, 2016 7:03 pm

The sort of people who actually need to feel they're being watched, in order to behave in something resembling a decent and humane manner toward others, are the reason we invented police. Though of course said invention immediately brought us into head on collision with the conundrum of quis custodiet ipsos custodies?.

Quite simply, those who claim that we need an invisible magic man in order to behave ourselves, are the very people I would suggest be kept a very long way away from even modest levels of power and responsibility. We are not lacking in precedents, with respect to the manner in which past individuals of this ilk visited all sorts of horrors on their fellows.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Blackadder » Nov 24, 2016 7:40 pm

I've always found it to be a very immature point of view, that one can only be good if some authority figure is watchng and will punish you for misdemeanours. Those who sinceely believe that are locked into a permanent psychological childhood, IMO. It doesn't take a great deal of deep thinking to understand that reciprocity, trustworthiness, social cohesion and self-esteem are all much better reasons and explanations for "good" behaviour.

If nothing else, a moment's reflection on how the definition of "good" behaviour has changed since the Old Testament or Koran were written might cause one to question the validity of the assertion that good behaviour is determined by divine interventions and is therefore fixed and immutable for all time.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby scott1328 » Nov 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Since a god almost certainly does not exist, then it follows that, no one does in fact need a god to be good.

I imagine that it is possible that some people predicate their good behavior on their delusions of an angry god. Those people are likely sociopathic
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Corneel » Nov 24, 2016 10:19 pm

Some people might need to believe in a god or religion simply to avoid desperation, because their life is misery and way out seems to be cut off, unless you get a little help from god. So they pray, and, yes some fall prey to abusive religions.
But who knows what evil they might committed in despair.
Religion is the opium of the poor masses, a drug yes, but it dulls the pain.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby zoon » Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm

Blackadder wrote:I've always found it to be a very immature point of view, that one can only be good if some authority figure is watchng and will punish you for misdemeanours. Those who sinceely believe that are locked into a permanent psychological childhood, IMO. It doesn't take a great deal of deep thinking to understand that reciprocity, trustworthiness, social cohesion and self-esteem are all much better reasons and explanations for "good" behaviour.

If nothing else, a moment's reflection on how the definition of "good" behaviour has changed since the Old Testament or Koran were written might cause one to question the validity of the assertion that good behaviour is determined by divine interventions and is therefore fixed and immutable for all time.

Social cohesion depends to some extent on people watching each other? As you say, not necessarily a single authority figure, but people in small societies more or less automatically watch and gang up on each other when rules which may not be explicit are broken, and this becomes more codified in larger societies?
zoon

Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism