Finding Darwin's God

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Finding Darwin's God

#1  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 8:17 am

So I am reading Finding Darwins God by Ken Miller (at the same time as Darwin's Dangerous Idea - They both kind of speak to each other so it makes sense to read them together).

I like Ken Miller and so far have enjoyed the first two chapters. No sign of God yet but nice explanation of evolution et al.

Have others read it?
What did you think?

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Finding Darwin's God

#2  Postby Shaker » Feb 26, 2010 11:20 am

I've read it a couple of times. Just about everybody else I know who has ever read it has said exactly the same thing, and I'm going to say it again here.

The first half of the book is excellent. It lays out some seriously good science that nails ID to the wall in no uncertain terms and is a delight to read. Then, at about the half-way point, something weird happens: Miller turns off his undeniably fine brain and goes into full-blown religionist mode where God-of-the-gaps thinking suddenly becomes acceptable. According to Miller, the current gaps in quantum physics are still big enough for his (rather than Darwin's) God to hide out in.

See if I'm not right. It's a good book, but the split between the scientific first and woo-woo second halves is glaringly obvious.
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Finding Darwin's God

#3  Postby Lazar » Feb 26, 2010 11:38 am

Shaker wrote:I've read it a couple of times. Just about everybody else I know who has ever read it has said exactly the same thing, and I'm going to say it again here.

The first half of the book is excellent. It lays out some seriously good science that nails ID to the wall in no uncertain terms and is a delight to read. Then, at about the half-way point, something weird happens: Miller turns off his undeniably fine brain and goes into full-blown religionist mode where God-of-the-gaps thinking suddenly becomes acceptable. According to Miller, the current gaps in quantum physics are still big enough for his (rather than Darwin's) God to hide out in.

See if I'm not right. It's a good book, but the split between the scientific first and woo-woo second halves is glaringly obvious.

Interesting. Like I said the first chapter or too is great but no mention of God yet more than in passing. Your synopsis sounds like what I expect when God finally pops his head up.

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Return to Theism