God

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: God

#241  Postby BWE » Oct 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Works every time. Your too easy.
BWE

Print view this post

#242  Postby Fallible » Oct 06, 2016 5:49 pm

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#243  Postby BWE » Oct 06, 2016 5:57 pm

ooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr?
BWE

Print view this post

#244  Postby Fallible » Oct 06, 2016 6:00 pm

Pretty much.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#245  Postby BWE » Oct 06, 2016 6:02 pm

BWE

Print view this post

#246  Postby jamest » Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm

God works in mysterious ways... to improve your grammar.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#247  Postby angelo » Oct 07, 2016 2:53 am

:lol:
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#248  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2016 6:41 am

BWE wrote:
Agrippina wrote:I agree. If you're going to mess around with deliberately seeking to annoy others by using incorrect grammar and insulting abbreviations, you're not going to gain much respect for any arguments you make against their ideology. You're merely going to look like an ignoramus out to annoy other people. They won't read beyond your "god" "xians" and "xmas". If you want to offer valid arguments against their ideology, learn a little about the ideology and treat the words the way you would any other words in the English language, with proper respect for the rules of grammar.

Hey now. Xmas is way easier to write and isn't disrespectful anyway since x means Jesus. That's why math people are such intensely religious son's of bitches.

Do you have any idea what your avatar does to the brain of an autistic person? :shock: I can't look at it, it makes my head do funny things.

Then you exacerbate it with bad grammar and spelling.

I don't mind that you use the common abbreviation for Christmas, i.e. Xmas, I do mind that you don't use an capital X, and the word "xtians" is not a real word, even if "Christ" is represented by an "X", if you're going to use the common abbreviation used by atheists who wish to be insulting, it's always a capital (at least learn to do it with style). If you want to use insulting abbreviations, be my guest, just don't complain when people don't take you seriously, and don't respond to your posts.

Also as Fallible has pointed out, also learn the correct usage of an apostrophe: the " ' " comma, indicates a missing letter, or letters, or possession. As in the word "sons" in this instance, the apostrophe is incorrect. It is used to indicate possession, as in "my son's book", and not "my son belongs to a group called the 'sons of bitches' ". If you want to have people read something you've written (see I used it correctly there, to indicate the missing part of "you have written") then learn to use initial capitals and apostrophes correctly. :roll: (Actually the use of the apostrophe to show possession does indicate missing letters. Writing, or saying, "sonses" is unwieldy, difficult in conversation, but does go back to a time when the language was developing, so the "se" in the middle was dropped and replaced by the apostrophe. We still use it to say "es" when using names ending in 's' as in Jesus, James, Judas. Some people write them as "Jesus's, James's, Judas's" but that's redundant, mostly, but not completely incorrect. So we write "Jesus', James', and Judas' instead, even though written that way with other words, indicates plurals, as in "the boy's toy" and "the boys' toys").

Said with the best of intentions. You and I haven't corresponded on this forum yet, so allow me to introduce myself as the poster who will always lecture, and who will always correct people who use the only language in which I am fluent, incorrectly. (My autism allows me to learn many things, languages other than English, is not one of them).
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#249  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2016 7:20 am

BWE wrote:Works every time. Your too easy.

"You are too easy" therefore "you're too easy". Sheesh it's not rocket science.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#250  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 07, 2016 8:30 am

Just a note on names that end in —s, such as Jesus. I would tend to still write the 's. For example, Jesus's sandals. Whilst I appreciate the argument that this may be potentially redundant, I find that it is still necessary, because it's naturally how I would pronounce it, i.e., "Jesus-es".

According to Oxford Dictionaries:

Personal names that end in –s
With personal names that end in -s: add an apostrophe plus s when you would naturally pronounce an extra s if you said the word out loud:

He joined Charles’s army in 1642.

Dickens's novels provide a wonderful insight into Victorian England.

Thomas's brother was injured in the accident.

Note that there are some exceptions to this rule, especially in names of places or organizations, for example:

St Thomas’ Hospital

If you aren’t sure about how to spell a name, look it up in an official place such as the organization’s website.

With personal names that end in -s but are not spoken with an extra s: just add an apostrophe after the -s:

The court dismissed Bridges' appeal.

Connors' finest performance was in 1991.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/punct ... apostrophe

So, yes, in the final examples, the 's is redundant. Just my two cents.

:)

Also, God. What's that all about, eh?

:dopey:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#251  Postby Alan B » Oct 07, 2016 8:58 am

God, God's, god, god's, gods, gods' (?).

You cannot have 'Gods' since, by definition, 'God' is singular - there is only one (allegedly). :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#252  Postby angelo » Oct 07, 2016 9:04 am

Alan B wrote:God, God's, god, god's, gods, gods' (?).

You cannot have 'Gods' since, by definition, 'God' is singular - there is only one (allegedly). :shifty:

And that's our lord Zoroaster! :smoke:
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#253  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 07, 2016 9:10 am

If I went dressed as God to a halloween party and angelo also went dressed as God, we would be two Gods at a costume party.

:D
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#254  Postby Alan B » Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am

Then you would both become 'gods'. :snooty:
Last edited by Alan B on Oct 07, 2016 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#255  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 07, 2016 9:27 am

I guess we would be both gods and Gods. That is, two of the classical characters, "God", just like two Jesuses or two Harry Potters. We would be two of the same named character, if you catch my drift. :nod:
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#256  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 07, 2016 9:29 am

Of course, there could only be one "real" God, so to speak, so I entirely understand your point. I was, however, providing a possible exception in terms of costume party characters. ;)
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#257  Postby Agrippina » Oct 07, 2016 9:43 am

Yes, sorry about the derail, it was just to clear up Angelo's idea that names shouldn't have capitalised initial letters.

Getting back to God....carry on.
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#258  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 07, 2016 9:45 am

LucidFlight wrote:Of course, there could only be one "real" God...

I'd say, "at most one 'real' God"... There doesn't have to be one, unless you think God is a necessary being.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#259  Postby LucidFlight » Oct 07, 2016 9:54 am

Indeed, only if you thought there had to be one. Even if you thought two were necessary, it would be awkward for them to have the same name, so you might choose God as one and Margaery as the other, to save confusion and whatnot. So, really, it makes sense to have just one God.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#260  Postby angelo » Oct 07, 2016 10:04 am

Spinoza's metaphysics of God is neatly summed up in a phrase that occurs in the Latin (but not the original Dutch) edition of the Ethics: “God, or Nature”, Deus, sive Natura: “That eternal and infinite being we call God, or Nature, acts from the same necessity from which he exists” (Part IV, Preface).Jun 29, 2001
Baruch Spinoza (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy) - ...
plato.stanford.edu › entries › spinoza
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism