Godless Downunder

Census 2016 Results

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Godless Downunder

#1  Postby The Serpent » Jun 27, 2017 4:16 am

"No religion" is now the largest single group in Australia according to the 2016 census rising by 7.8% since the previous census in 2011. The beadswingers lost 2.8% and the Church of England plunged to around 13%.

Australians are ditching religion in unprecedented numbers.

About one third of Australians said they had no religion. That's a huge shift from 50 years ago, when the vast majority of Australians were Christian.

. . . .

While Australians are turning away from the Christian religions, there's been a massive growth in Hinduism, Buddhism and Islam.

There are graphs and tables and shit in the linked source.
Religious traditions are the fault lines along which societies fracture when placed under stress. -- Sam Harris
The Serpent

Name: Taj Cassidy
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Godless Downunder

#2  Postby Greyman » Jun 27, 2017 7:35 am

So, how long until the polly's catch on to this?
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby RealityRules » Jun 27, 2017 9:59 am

While no-religion was ~30%, 'not-stated/'not-defined' was 9.6%, and a lot of them are also likely to be not-religious (religious ppl tend to want to up their statistics). A large proportion of those anarchist types who avoided the census altogether (5% of the total pop'n) are likely to be without religion, too.

A recent survey showed only ~1/3 of Australian Christians are practicing.

It's likely 2/3 of Aussies are without religion.
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby OlivierK » Jun 27, 2017 10:09 am

While "almost a third" declaring no religion may be a record for Australia as a whole, it still stuns me that it's that low.

My own locality had 63% of population declaring no religion (around 75% of people who answered the question). I can't fathom being surrounded by two-thirds of people who accepted a religious label.
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Jun 27, 2017 10:12 am

I would be curious to know how families were counted. Was a single person per household filling out the forms, was it one form per adult, and who was responsible for the children?

My thinking is that children will always be over-represented as religious, because there will be more false positives than false negatives if others are filling out the forms on their behalf. Religious adults will tend to count their children among the religious more often than it is true, and non-religious adults are unlikely to have religious children, so I think they will be wrong less often if they count their children as non-religious, and also more likely to know and admit if their children have different convictions to them, compared to religious parents.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby OlivierK » Jun 27, 2017 10:22 am

Our kids were 9, 12, and 13 at the census. We filled out the form, but consulted them on this and a few other questions with subjective answers. There weren't any surprises, but we did ask anyway. I'd imagine that in five years at least the older two and quite possibly all three will fill out their own sections (although my youngest is a lazy bugger, so maybe not :lol:).
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Jun 27, 2017 1:58 pm

That next earthquake is on your lot, Bruce. Bloody heretics.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby CarlPierce » Jun 27, 2017 2:17 pm

chairman bill wrote:That next earthquake is on your lot, Bruce. Bloody heretics.

God hates those who live on tectonic fault lines (and gay marriage).
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Jun 27, 2017 2:20 pm

There's going to be a lot of falling down mineshafts, you mark my words. :nono:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)