Hmm.. The good book's got an error in it...

There's a problem with camels (not their toes)

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Hmm.. The good book's got an error in it...

#1  Postby scott1328 » Feb 05, 2014 7:57 pm

Experts from Tel-Aviv university say that the camel wasn't introduced into the middle-east until well after the events in which they are mentioned.
Archaeologists from Israel’s top university have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the arrival of domestic camels in the Middle East -- and they say the science directly contradicts the Bible’s version of events.

Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob, Old Testament stories that historians peg to between 2000 and 1500 BC. But Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures say camels weren’t domesticated in Israel until centuries later, more like 900 BC.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/ ... -in-bible/

The most surprising thing about this news story is that I found it on Fox News
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Hmm.. The good book's got an error in it...

#2  Postby kennyc » Feb 05, 2014 8:14 pm

scott1328 wrote:Experts from Tel-Aviv university say that the camel wasn't introduced into the middle-east until well after the events in which they are mentioned.
Archaeologists from Israel’s top university have used radiocarbon dating to pinpoint the arrival of domestic camels in the Middle East -- and they say the science directly contradicts the Bible’s version of events.

Camels are mentioned as pack animals in the biblical stories of Abraham, Joseph and Jacob, Old Testament stories that historians peg to between 2000 and 1500 BC. But Erez Ben-Yosef and Lidar Sapir-Hen of Tel Aviv University's Department of Archaeology and Near Eastern Cultures say camels weren’t domesticated in Israel until centuries later, more like 900 BC.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/ ... -in-bible/

The most surprising thing about this news story is that I found it on Fox News

Only one error? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! I just saw an article on this.....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby quisquose » Feb 05, 2014 8:39 pm

Thankfully they can easily dismiss radiocarbon dating, or anything that contradicts the "good book" for that matter.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Camel bones suggest error in Bible, archaeologists say

#4  Postby DoctorE » Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm

'This anachronism is direct proof that the [Bible's] text was compiled well after the events it describes.'

“In addition to challenging the Bible's historicity, this anachronism is direct proof that the text was compiled well after the events it describes,” reads a press release announcing the research.

To find the first camel, Sapir-Hen and Ben-Yosef used radiocarbon dating to analyze the oldest known camel bones in the Arabian Peninsula, found at the remains of a copper smelting camp in the Aravah Valley, which runs along the border with Jordan from the Dead Sea to the Red Sea.

Continues: http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/ ... -in-bible/
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Camel bones suggest error in Bible, archaeologists say

#5  Postby scott1328 » Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm

Ha ha, beat you to it:

Edited: to remove the link, since the threads got merged.
Last edited by scott1328 on Feb 06, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby hackenslash » Feb 06, 2014 5:04 pm

A mistake? In the babble?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Holy shit? Really?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Luv
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby kennyc » Feb 06, 2014 5:13 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Holy shit? Really?

Would Fox News shit you?

:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby jerome » Feb 07, 2014 1:11 am

I'll keep this short, but basically - read the paper. It's a solid paper on camels being used in connection with copper mining, with a wider question of the date of when they were domesticated, but obvious issues as camels have lived in the region since the neolithic, and so telling when they were domesticated harder than could be.
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Fenrir » Feb 07, 2014 1:34 am

They specifically chose a copper mine because copper was a valuable yet heavy commodity in the bronze age. Copper mining is an industry which would accrue obvious benefits from using domesticated camels for transport and would likely be an early adopter of such technology. The particular mine operated from well before till well after the date camel bones became common at the site.

I.E. it is a good model for dating camel domestication. Yes, evidence of earlier domestication is always possible and corroborating data from other sites would be just peachy. None of this makes the "wild camels were common in the area so this date is problematic" argument valid.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

Return to Theism