If a Jehovah Witness was given a blood transfusion...

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86, Matt8819, amok

If a Jehovah Witness was given a blood transfusion...

#1  Postby Denny » Feb 28, 2013 12:50 am

...while unconscious and dying and survived because of this transfusion, what do you think such a person's reaction would be? Also, does this hypothetical scenario pose any religious consequence on said Jehovah Witness? (I know a minority do not mind transfusions but, for this scenario, lets assume this person does have negative reservations on transfusions.)
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: If a Jehovah Witness was given a blood transfusion...

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 28, 2013 2:48 am

From what I understand they would be upset about it happening, maybe happy to be alive but upset that they had blood from someone else. Here I think they wear little bracelets that say they are Jehovah Witness so people know not to do it. And yes I think there is some form of punishment, but it happens after life I might be wrong about that though.

To me it is all religious bollocks that has caused people to die who could have been saved, children can't pick their religion but can get stuck in one that can kill them. Makes me mad and sad at the same time when I hear about a child in hospital and the family refusing life saving treatment for religious reasons.
DarthHelmet86

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Feb 28, 2013 2:50 am

Speaking of that I happened to notice this yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/25/us/bl ... wanted=all
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Reeve » Feb 28, 2013 3:34 am

JWs have cards that say NO BLOOD on them. If a JW has a blood transfusion they will get "disfellowshipped" i.e. kicked out. Other JWs are not allowed to even talk to people who have been "disfellowshipped" (even if they are a family member).

However, I'm not sure about a JW having a blood transfusion while unconscious, in terms of punishment. The JW getting the transfusion would probably be upset about it, I imagine. And maybe ask for god's forgiveness of something like that.
Last edited by Reeve on Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cito wrote:Reeve is a daily reality for girls. I don't know what this implies.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Denny » Feb 28, 2013 3:36 am

Science and medicine can go to great lengths in toleration it seems. Thanks for that link!
Denny

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Reeve » Feb 28, 2013 3:38 am

Denny wrote: (I know a minority do not mind transfusions...

Actually, every Jehovah's Witness is strictly not allowed to have a blood transfusion. However, there is some freedom allowed for JWs to accept "parts of blood" e.g. platelets, haemoglobin etc. on their own; but never all together as blood. Of course there are still some JWs who think that even that should be off the table.

archibald wrote:I don't take Reeve seriously. I don't think he takes himself seriously.
Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Denny » Feb 28, 2013 3:40 am

Reeve wrote:JWs have cards that say NO BLOOD on them. If a JW has a blood transfusion they will get "disfellowshipped" i.e. kicked out. Other JWs are not allowed to even talk to people who have been "disfellowshipped" (even if they are a family member).

However, I'm not sure about a JW having a blood transfusion while unconscious, in terms of punishment. The JW getting the transfusion would probably be upset about it, I imagine. And maybe ask for god's forgiveness of something like that.

It is standard practice to cut off all clothing in the event of serious injury. Interesting to think of a particular person getting angry over a procedure that in all likelihood saved their life. Religion or no.
Denny

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 28, 2013 3:48 am

Denny wrote:
Reeve wrote:JWs have cards that say NO BLOOD on them. If a JW has a blood transfusion they will get "disfellowshipped" i.e. kicked out. Other JWs are not allowed to even talk to people who have been "disfellowshipped" (even if they are a family member).

It is standard practice to cut off all clothing in the event of serious injury. Interesting to think of a particular person getting angry over a procedure that in all likelihood saved their life. Religion or no.

That is why here I think they wear the medic alert bracelets, they are looked for by all trained first aiders and by paramedics. Still if it it that arm that is missing you might be in for a bit of blood.
DarthHelmet86

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Reeve » Feb 28, 2013 3:49 am

Denny wrote:Interesting to think of a particular person getting angry over a procedure that in all likelihood saved their life. Religion or no.

Sadly that is what happens when one is taught to value an imaginary character as more important than one's own life. :nono:

Jehovah's Witnesses have stories sometimes, in their publications, that are supposed to motivate the congregation. Sometimes the stories are things like "some teenage girl needed an operation but refused a blood transfusion, her parents are so proud at how dedicated she is to Jehovah etc. etc." I suspect that they make the Gobbelian shit up.

Reeve

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Will S » Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

I recall reading a news report of a case where the child of some JWs had been made a ward of court and given a transfusion against the parents' wishes. Afterwards, the parents were reported as saying how pleased they were that their child's life had been saved in this way.

It's not easy to understand the underlying mentality.
'To a thinking person, a paradox is what the smell of burning rubber is to an electrical engineer' - Sir Peter Medawar (adapted)
Will S

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » Feb 28, 2013 3:16 pm

They need a Medic Alert bracelet that says "Moron. Don't bother".
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby pedebumchin » Mar 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Almost all religious people bend the rules to suit whatever it is they are trying to do. Therefore if this happened they would pray for forgiveness and then think they must have satisfied god's desires or some crap like that.

This topic touches on faith healing which I think should be punished by law. I know there are law suits against negligent parents, spouses or family members but I seem to remember that actually most of them receive a reduced sentence or are given leniency as a result of their beliefs.

The link below is to an interesting website that some may have seen before called whats the harm. It has examples of how strange or religious beliefs actually can affect or kill people...

http://whatstheharm.net/

Relating back to the original post here is the section on JWs

http://whatstheharm.net/jehovahswitnesses.html
pedebumchin

Name: pedebumchin

Jersey (je)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scar » Mar 01, 2013 3:05 pm

... she/he would explode.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Return to Theism