If God asked you to kill your child, would you do it Frank?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

If God asked you to kill your child, would you do it Frank?

#1  Postby quas » Jun 24, 2017 12:45 pm

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Re: If God asked you to kill your child, would you do it Frank?

#2  Postby i have no avatar » Jul 04, 2017 12:01 am

I have to admit that, specifically, the story of Abraham and Isaac led me to question the teachings of Christianity.

I was about 11 years old in Sunday school (Methodist) and a 40-something Sunday school teacher proudly told us of the story of Abraham and Isaac. Something just seemed wrong, but I was not sure what it was. This was probably because my dad was one of the best, and I couldn't imagine him strapping me to an altar, about to sacrifice me to god, because god told him to do so.

However, by the time I was 16 or so, I realized just how twisted this story is - a story that is supposed to show faith in god as a virtue.

When I had kids in my late thirties, I further realized just how obscene this 'biblical lesson' is, as I imagined the terror of one of my kids at the hands of someone so deranged (especially if it was someone as trusted as me).

I'm probably about the 1000th person who has related this, or a similar story on the fora, so I know that there is nothing original here - but add me to the list.
but i do have a signature
i have no avatar

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Shrunk » Jul 04, 2017 12:59 am

That's what we call "biting the bullet." Good job by he questioner of keeping his eye on the ball.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineBerry » Jul 04, 2017 8:20 am

Where does he get the idea from that the place of Isaac's near sacrifice is the same as the place of Jesus' crucifixion?
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby pelfdaddy » Jul 04, 2017 2:14 pm

He gets that idea from tradition.

Theologians would very much like it if there was some spooky connection between the two sacrifices--Isaac being the type and Jesus being the anti-type--that could not be easily explained by coincidence. They have a few strands of textual "evidence" to hang it on, but it amounts to a flimsy web of interconnecting references, merely an ad hoc attempt to create data that fits a conclusion.
pelfdaddy

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby chairman bill » Jul 04, 2017 3:17 pm

If you're going to kill for your god, start with yourself.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Shrunk » Jul 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Objective morality: It's not immoral for ISIS suicide bombers to commit mass murder on the commands of God. They're just listening to the wrong god.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Matthew Shute » Jul 04, 2017 3:58 pm

cyghost wrote:wow

Indeed. They don't call them the Abrahamic faiths for nothing. The Bible and the Quran seem to present Abraham not as a depraved lunatic but as an admirable sort of figure, an exemplar of faith.

:crazy:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#10  Postby aban57 » Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm

Who is that moron ?
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Oct 05, 2017 12:33 pm

Rummaging through the backlog?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aban57 » Oct 05, 2017 12:51 pm

Frank Turek, he's got his own wikipedia page :

Views

In the book I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist, Turek discusses how we demand truth from doctors, stock brokers, loved ones, etc., and yet we do not typically demand truth when it comes to morality or religion. He argues that truth is based in correspondence to an absolute reality, and is therefore not subjective. It therefore follows that religious truth is also objective, and that to state that there is no truth or that truth is subjective is self-refuting.[7]

After arguing for the objectivity of truth, Turek then argues for the objectivity of knowledge. He asks those who argue that one cannot know anything for sure if they can know that for sure. If they can, then the statement is self-defeating. If they cannot, then it calls the legitimacy of that position into question. Turek concludes by saying that people cannot be skeptics about everything, because then they would have to doubt skepticism. However, the more they doubt skepticism, the more sure they become.[8]

He argues that the existence of God implies the existence of miracles. He uses the illustration of a box as a metaphor for the universe. Turek argues that the universe is open and that God, being the creator of the universe, can reach into the universe and perform what one might call miracles.[9]
Marriage views

He argues in Correct, Not Politically Correct that marriage lengthens lifespans of men and women, civilizes men, protects women, protects mothers, lowers welfare costs, and encourages a replacement birth rate, and he argues that same-sex marriage does none of these.[10] Turek claims in several interviews that, in 2010, he was fired from Cisco for his views on homosexual marriage. A member of his class, despite giving the class excellent marks, called Cisco's human resources department to have Turek fired after reading about Turek's views over the Internet.[11] Turek also states that he was later fired from Bank of America for the same reason.[12]
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby james1v » Oct 06, 2017 12:56 am

I would probably kill the dickhead who asked me to do such a thing, but my name is James... :coffee:
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby CarlPierce » Oct 16, 2017 1:02 pm

james1v wrote:I would probably kill the dickhead who asked me to do such a thing, but my name is James... :coffee:

Ahh but it was 'god' who installed in you the morals to defend your kid rather than blindly obeying his commands. So you should reply come on God you little tinker, im not falling for another of your 'jokes'.
CarlPierce
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Shrunk » Dec 23, 2017 8:49 pm

To my complete astonishment, this video showed up in my newsfeed on Facebook today. And it was posted by Frank Turek, the guy onstage. He actually seems to think this video makes him look good.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#16  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Shrunk wrote:To my complete astonishment, this video showed up in my newsfeed on Facebook today. And it was posted by Frank Turek, the guy onstage. He actually seems to think this video makes him look good.

He's very good at talking around the answer.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Matthew Shute » Dec 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Shrunk wrote:To my complete astonishment, this video showed up in my newsfeed on Facebook today. And it was posted by Frank Turek, the guy onstage. He actually seems to think this video makes him look good.

And I'll bet many in his intended audience agree that it does. Deliberate murder is perfectly good if god happens to say so. William Lane Craig has excused genocide on the such grounds. But don't worry, they're totes not moral nihilists or anything. God's current whims are absolute moral truth.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#18  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 24, 2017 5:07 pm

This is the best story for showing that the religious can't tell right from wrong. It's the same reason you always get them asking, "If there's no god, why shouldn't I just go around killing and raping everyone?" Religion is the great crutch for people too lazy or stupid for even the most rudimentary moral reasoning.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Animavore » Dec 24, 2017 7:16 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:

And I'll bet many in his intended audience agree that it does. Deliberate murder is perfectly good if god happens to say so. William Lane Craig has excused genocide on the such grounds. But don't worry, they're totes not moral nihilists or anything. God's current whims are absolute moral truth.

And like WLC it becomes even funnier when you realise they are defending mythology which simply never happened.

It's not unlike defending the Empire's destruction of Alderaan; but seriously. Like it happened.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#20  Postby quas » Jan 27, 2018 4:29 am

Well, this video ONLY exists on Youtube because he uploaded it to his Youtube channel. Could it be that this video works like a Nigerian email scam (albeit unintentionally)? Those email scams work by being so bloody obvious right away that it's a scam, thus ensuring only the dumbest motherfuckers would fall victim to these scams. This saves the scammers lots of time and effort, since they don't have to be dealing with dumb & dumber motherfuckers, but dumbest motherfuckers only.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism