If this is Heaven, Then Give me Hell

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

If this is Heaven, Then Give me Hell

#1  Postby DoctorE » May 31, 2016 9:25 am

One woman's story of bravery and determination to keep her family together. Leaving the FLDS religion the only way of life she had ever known. But, when they wanted to split up her family it was line she would not cross.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: If this is Heaven, Then Give me Hell

#2  Postby monkeyboy » May 31, 2016 10:03 am

Thanks for that. Inspiring, brave woman. I still find it amazing these cults are allowed to prosper.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby John Platko » May 31, 2016 4:26 pm

monkeyboy wrote:Thanks for that. Inspiring, brave woman. I still find it amazing these cults are allowed to prosper.

It seems that unless there is physical abuse, that can be proved, there's not much the government can do about this sort of thing. I've seen a lot of ex scientologists talking about similar kinds family separations and restrictions being imposed.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » May 31, 2016 4:35 pm

I don't get it, myself. I was raised with no formal religion or religious training of any sort, so I'm not really qualified to comment, but I'd tell the FLDS or Scientology or whoever to just fuck the fuck off. Guess that's harder to do when you're brainwashed into the cult from birth.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#5  Postby John Platko » May 31, 2016 4:51 pm

laklak wrote:I don't get it, myself. I was raised with no formal religion or religious training of any sort, so I'm not really qualified to comment, but I'd tell the FLDS or Scientology or whoever to just fuck the fuck off. Guess that's harder to do when you're brainwashed into the cult from birth.

From the reports of ex Scientologists it goes beyond brainwashing. Sometimes, like in this video, the cults go too far for a person, they cross some line, and the person can then see through the brainwashing. But then the cult has other power- the threat to cut you off from your family and all the people you know forever. And they have financial power. Scientology has been known to hand people a big bill if they threaten to leave. And they talk about physical threats too. It's pretty hard to understand how that is allowed to go on in the US.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » May 31, 2016 5:15 pm

Scientology uses all kinds of tricks, many not legal at all, and include violence. There are surely multiple threads that go through the many aspects of it. There are signs it may be beginning to crumble, though. The Mormons are too entrenched and rich to go away anytime soon. The Mormon religion is clearly insane, they ban coffee drinking FFS!
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby John Platko » May 31, 2016 7:13 pm

crank wrote:Scientology uses all kinds of tricks, many not legal at all, and include violence. There are surely multiple threads that go through the many aspects of it. There are signs it may be beginning to crumble, though. The Mormons are too entrenched and rich to go away anytime soon. The Mormon religion is clearly insane, they ban coffee drinking FFS!

I haven't found that Scientology has been discussed around here to anywhere near the extent of the more popular religions, probably for the obvious reasons. And like a lot of places, it seems that who you are colors your experience of it a lot. I think Tom Cruise encounters a different Scientology than the grunt Sea Org member, and a public member sees something else altogether.

Jason Beghe tells what it's like for a celebrity member.

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby ScholasticSpastic » May 31, 2016 7:31 pm

:coffee: Just bookmarking this thread, as it covers subjects that fascinate me. And not just because I'm a part of a atheist/Mormon marriage. It's the shift to Scientology that really hooked me. That stuff's wack (as the kids say).
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby John Platko » Jun 01, 2016 1:25 pm

ScholasticSpastic wrote::coffee: Just bookmarking this thread, as it covers subjects that fascinate me. And not just because I'm a part of a atheist/Mormon marriage. It's the shift to Scientology that really hooked me. That stuff's wack (as the kids say).

Jason Beghe explains how he got into Scientology, what it was like, and how he got out. Of course he had the red carpet celebrity experience- the poor folks in the Sea Org - oh it's sad.

Scientology has already had it's version of the Reformation, some people believe the tech (that's what they call it) is good but the leadership is the problem. So there are branches - often in places where it's not easy to sue for copyright infringement. They don't just give the "tech" away, you pay through the nose for it. Well, at least you did before the internet.

A really good overview of the Hubbard thing is from one of the spin of branches of Scientology. This gives a good idea of what it's about and how they get you on the hook.

And one of my favorites is the Steve Fishman deposition. He got arrested for embezzling so he could pay for his advanced Scientology courses. POE's law kicks in for me when I watch Steven. I just can't tell if he's putting us on or he really believes what he's saying. If anyone ever aspired to being a POE, Steven is the gold standard to aspire to- just sayin.

And after all that you might :scratch: and think they're all :crazy: but then there's a guy like this, who seems to have gotten positive things from Scientology. (he talks about some of it 17 minutes in)

I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby PensivePenny » Oct 17, 2016 6:45 pm

In keeping to the spirit of the OP, mental images of the people who'd inhabit heaven (the god botherers) is my secondary reason for being atheist. Could you imagine? An Eternity with those people?? You peeps in hell with me is far more preferable.

:shock: :shock:
When the insanity overshadows, the sanity. The sane take their leave. Last word is up for grabs. Enjoy :cheers:

Peace all
PensivePenny

Name: Penny
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Oct 18, 2016 1:14 am

PensivePenny wrote:You peeps in hell with me is far more preferable.

Mmmmmm..... Hell peeps.

"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Calilasseia » Dec 09, 2016 2:31 pm

John Platko wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:Thanks for that. Inspiring, brave woman. I still find it amazing these cults are allowed to prosper.

It seems that unless there is physical abuse, that can be proved, there's not much the government can do about this sort of thing. I've seen a lot of ex scientologists talking about similar kinds family separations and restrictions being imposed.

In the case of the FLDS, there was far worse. Warren Jeffs, the cult leader, was helping himself to "child brides" (translation: porking 12 year old girls). it's why he's now doing 35 years in the slammer.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Dark energy » Feb 03, 2017 4:56 pm

laklak wrote:I don't get it, myself. I was raised with no formal religion or religious training of any sort, so I'm not really qualified to comment, but I'd tell the FLDS or Scientology or whoever to just fuck the fuck off. Guess that's harder to do when you're brainwashed into the cult from birth.

are you atheist?
And."
Dark energy

Name: dark energy

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Theism