Indian Citizenship Bill

And religion

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Indian Citizenship Bill

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 09, 2019 8:33 am

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50670393

Citizenship Amendment Bill: India tables controversial 'anti-Muslim' law

India's government has tabled a bill in parliament which offers amnesty to non-Muslim illegal immigrants from three neighbouring countries.

What does the bill say?

The CAB amends the 64-year-old Indian Citizenship law, which currently prohibits illegal migrants from becoming Indian citizens.

It defines illegal immigrants as foreigners who enter India without a valid passport or travel documents, or stay beyond the permitted time. Illegal immigrants can be deported or jailed.

The new bill also amends a provision which says a person must have lived in India or worked for the federal government for at least 11 years before they can apply for citizenship.

Now, there will be an exception for members of six religious minority communities - Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi and Christian - if they can prove that they are from Pakistan, Afghanistan or Bangladesh. They will only have to live or work in India for six years to be eligible for citizenship by naturalisation, the process by which a non-citizen acquires the citizenship or nationality of that country.

Opponents of the bill say it is exclusionary and violates the secular principles enshrined in the constitution. They say faith cannot be made a condition of citizenship.

The constitution prohibits religious discrimination against its citizens, and guarantees all persons equality before the law and equal protection of the law.

Delhi-based lawyer Gautam Bhatia says that by dividing alleged migrants into Muslims and non-Muslims, the bill "explicitly and blatantly, seeks to enshrine religious discrimination into law, contrary to our long-standing, secular constitutional ethos".

Citizenship laws based on religion. Where discrimination by race and ethnicity has become ever less seen as just in the modern world, religious belief is still being used to discriminate and to justify discrimination.

This is another reason why religion should not be granted special status or treated with kid gloves regardless of how upset and offended believers become when criticized. Failure to criticize religious motivation in policies inevitably leads to exclusionism because it is, by nature and doctrine, tribalistic.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Indian Citizenship Bill

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Dec 09, 2019 4:00 pm

There have been some worrying trends in India under Modi. This is one of them. Not to mention the moves to basically strip vast swathes of Muslims of their citizenship if they don't have documentation going back decades.

Of course it would be legitimate to offer members of religious minority groups asylum if human rights abuses were occurring, but something tells me they wouldn't be too keen to extend such an offer to the Rohingya or the Uyghurs.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blackadder » Dec 09, 2019 9:47 pm

Modi is another bigoted religious cunt, just a different flavour from those over the border in Pakistan. Two sets of assholes, vying with each other to see which one can sink faster into the pit of ignorance and hatred.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Svartalf » Dec 09, 2019 11:08 pm

:clap:
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Dec 11, 2019 6:28 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-50739593

Citizenship Amendment Bill: India parliament approves controversial law

India's parliament has approved a bill that grants citizenship to non-Muslim illegal immigrants from Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

The bill passed the upper house of parliament by 125 votes to 105. It had already cleared the lower house.

Critics say the bill is discriminatory.

But the ruling Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) says it will give sanctuary to people fleeing religious persecution.

Yes, people who aren't Muslim, therefore "discriminatory".
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Svartalf » Dec 11, 2019 6:36 pm

and in another part of the world, racist cunts like modi are empowered and legitimized by other cunts like frump who pass executive orders demanding that judaism be regarded as a nationality and not a religion... :thumbdown:
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Theism