Is Gluttony Real?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Is Gluttony Real?

#21  Postby laklak » Oct 12, 2020 3:13 pm

That's what I'm doing now. I was down to 155 lbs before the lockdown, and gained 20 POUNDS since April, mostly eating garbage snacks and drinking way too much beer. Sent my blood sugar through the roof. Back to a rational diet now and am hovering around 167 pounds, so still a ways to go.

Willpower is hard.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby don't get me started » Oct 15, 2020 5:40 am

Well, living in our convenient world of ever-available calories, it is pretty hard not to overindulge.
However, in early times when a constant supply of calories was not a given, it made sense to eat to gastric capacity when the opportunity presented itself. Paleolithic eating strategies are not that well suited to modern convenience culture...

As for the 'sin' of gluttony, I think the church got in on the act because, you know, there can be no aspect of human existence that they can't claim to have some say in. Usually telling you how bad you are and how you are going against god's word or somesuch. In fact, it seems that the only thing you can't do to excess is love and worship god.

Like you laklak, I drank a a fair amount of beer during the Spring and was pretty sedentary.
Zoom boozeups with mates sometimes got a bit messy due to not having to rush for the last train....

I've cut down a bit lately and ramped up the exercise. Seems to be keeping things in check.
Off for my appointment with the mountain in about an hour...
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#23  Postby james1v » Oct 19, 2020 9:58 pm

There's no such thing as a sin, however, in times of uncertainty, it pays to overeat, Just in case, famine comes along. It used to be, people with a bit more"meat" on them. were more healthy.....Now....
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Christianity