Most Supernatural Experience So Far?

Cough it up? Ghost, God or WTF happened?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Most Supernatural Experience So Far?

#1  Postby aufbahrung » May 07, 2019 6:09 pm

If you are Spock from Star Trek and never experienced anything 'illogical' please ignore.
Life is inherently meaningless. Never forget.
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Most Supernatural Experience So Far?

#2  Postby felltoearth » May 07, 2019 6:13 pm

Something that confounds someone’s understanding of reality isn’t necessarily supernatural. It’s simply without explanation.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Hermit » May 07, 2019 6:18 pm

Tide comes in. Tide goes out. You cannot explain that!

There are many more miracles of that sort... to a certain sort of... intelligence. Excuse the malapropism, please.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » May 07, 2019 6:24 pm

felltoearth wrote:Something that confounds someone’s understanding of reality isn’t necessarily supernatural. It’s simply without explanation.

Or it's a set of assembly instructions from Ikea.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » May 07, 2019 6:25 pm

Shows you are new here aufbahrung.

WTF? only in dreams.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby newolder » May 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Any of Jamie Oliver's 5-ingredient meals, e.g. Epic rib-eye steak

Ingredients
* 600 g piece of rib-eye steak , (ideally 5cm thick), fat removed
* 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
* 4 cloves of garlic
* 350 g mixed mushrooms
* 1 x 600 g jar of quality white beans
* Red Wine vinegar
* Salt
* Black pepper
* Olive oil
Geometric forgetting gives me loops. - Nima A-H
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby BlackBart » May 07, 2019 7:15 pm

I worked for 10 years doing night shift in a documented haunted house. Didn't see a thing. Nor did anyone else.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby felltoearth » May 07, 2019 7:26 pm

BlackBart wrote:
felltoearth wrote:Something that confounds someone’s understanding of reality isn’t necessarily supernatural. It’s simply without explanation.

Or it's a set of assembly instructions from Ikea.

Still without explanation

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » May 07, 2019 7:29 pm

Sitting in a sweat lodge tripping balls on peyote buttons. Like, duuuude.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Hermit » May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Time to apologise for my earlier quip. I did in fact experience a miracle. A huge miracle. Quite recently too. Someone rose from the dead. No, no, shut up. Just hear me out.

We had a member at Rationalia, a prolific poster of long standing. His manners were impeccable. Never once did he get to within coee of insulting anybody. Not once. Just the same, he was not particularly popular. This was due to his limited repertoire. He could do only three types of posts. One was themed on the end of civilisation. Mad cow disease? It was certain to spell the end of civilisation. Ebola? Same. Tariff war? Ditto. So it went on interminably. Tedious and unimaginative. Another was to comment in a style that made the oracle of Delphi seem comprehensible. People scratched their heads, shrugged and went off to do something else. They had learnt a long time ago not to bother asking him for a clarification. The third type was to just paste links to Youtube clips in the "What are you listening to?" thread, more or less clogging it with random pop songs.

Then, half way through last December he pasted a link to Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick and disappeared. After six years and over 18,000 posts there was dead silence. Initially I thought perhaps he is in the process of moving or something. He'll be back once he's got a new connection. Two weeks later he still had not surfaced, so my new hypothesis was that perhaps his missus had stopped him from posting. He had mentioned that she gets a bit shouty at times, demanding he do things other than posting on his beloved forum, but after another month of silence I rejected that one too. He never as much as hinted at any dissatisfaction with Rationalia. It seemed to provide some sort of fulfilment for him. Surely, he'd manage to sneak out to an internet cafe or to a friend just to say "hi, don't worry about me. I haven't fallen off my perch yet." No. Nothing. He must have died. There is no other logical explanation for the abrupt departure.

Now for the miracle part: Two weeks ago he's come back to life and resumed posting in his customary pattern, i.e. creating end of civilisation scenarios, making oracular comments and spamming the "What are you listening to?" thread. There is only one difference: He seems to have forgotten where he's been posting in the previous six years, registered with RationalSkepticism and resumed business as usual here.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#11  Postby laklak » May 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Come to think of it, I haven't seen Superuniverse around for a while either.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aufbahrung » May 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Realise some here might be hardcore skeptics with history, whether that be by education or priest abuse, and I'm only try to get you to think outside your box and consider whether you've encountered 'the supernatural' without any deeply religious angle going down....?
Life is inherently meaningless. Never forget.
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby BlackBart » May 07, 2019 7:51 pm

1. What's a 'hardcore' skeptic over and above a normal skeptic?
2. How would experiencing 'priest abuse' make one require evidence over and above someone who didn't?
3. What would 'thinking outside the box' entail in this case?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Hermit » May 07, 2019 7:57 pm

aufbahrung wrote:...I'm only try to get you to think outside your box and consider whether you've encountered 'the supernatural' without any deeply religious angle going down....?

Oh. I see. That explains why you chose to start this thread in the section titled "Theism".

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Cito di Pense » May 07, 2019 7:58 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Realise some here might be hardcore skeptics with history, whether that be by education or priest abuse, and I'm only try to get you to think outside your box and consider whether you've encountered 'the supernatural' without any deeply religious angle going down....?

Well, what if I call it something else besides "supernatural", like "becoming spooked"? That places responsibility for this shitstorm squarely between your ears, rather than foisting it off on the universe at large, as if it were, to coin a phrase, "outside the box".

aufbahrung wrote:If you are Spock from Star Trek and never experienced anything 'illogical' please ignore.

Well, I just experienced something illogical, but it was just your opening post. Nothing I can't explain.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Cito di Pense » May 07, 2019 8:03 pm

Well, as long as we are just bandying about explanations, let's just chalk it up to filosofeezing. If you ever get the feeling something has confounded your understanding of reality, first try to get a handle on your referent for 'reality'.

Once I was camping and I heard something (not visible to me) moving around in the underbrush. Was it a supernatural entity? There is nothing about a supernatural entity that is not desired to be supernatural.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#17  Postby tuco » May 07, 2019 8:25 pm

aufbahrung wrote:Realise some here might be hardcore skeptics with history, whether that be by education or priest abuse, and I'm only try to get you to think outside your box and consider whether you've encountered 'the supernatural' without any deeply religious angle going down....?

You could try to get this moved into Paranormal & Supernatural but it will not change anything. There was a guy called Jerome who was into these things but none of the people like him survived here for long. I wonder how long you will survive.

I tend to agree with you though, based on my observations here, that quite a few of those with let's say religious upbringing would deserve a scientific study. It is some kind of PTSD or something.
tuco

Print view this post

#18  Postby Spearthrower » May 08, 2019 3:44 pm

BlackBart wrote:1. What's a 'hardcore' skeptic over and above a normal skeptic?

Hardcore skeptics know the score! Yalright! Bookyaka!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby Spearthrower » May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

aufbahrung wrote:I'm only try to get you to think outside your box

Try harder?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby felltoearth » May 08, 2019 4:24 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:

Well, as long as we are just bandying about explanations, let's just chalk it up to filosofeezing. If you ever get the feeling something has confounded your understanding of reality, first try to get a handle on your referent for 'reality'.

Once I was camping and I heard something (not visible to me) moving around in the underbrush. Was it a supernatural entity? There is nothing about a supernatural entity that is not desired to be supernatural.

A man breaking his journey between one place and another at a third place of no name, character, population or significance, sees a unicorn cross his path and disappear. That in itself is startling, but there are precedents for mystical encounters of various kinds, or to be less extreme, a choice of persuasions to put it down to fancy; until--"My God," says a second man, "I must be dreaming, I thought I saw a unicorn." At which point, a dimension is added that makes the experience as alarming as it will ever be. A third witness, you understand, adds no further dimension but only spreads it thinner, and a fourth thinner still, and the more witnesses there are the thinner it gets and the more reasonable it becomes until it is as thin as reality, the name we give to the common experience... "Look, look!" recites the crowd. "A horse with an arrow in its forehead! It must have been mistaken for a deer.
Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism