Museum of the Bible under fire for stealing artifacts.

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Museum of the Bible under fire for stealing artifacts.

#1  Postby Animavore » Oct 07, 2021 5:43 pm

I share this with you not just because it's another example of Christian hypocrisy we're all so fond of, but also because I love how this is written. Nearly every other paragraph is littered with gold like this.

The Greens are power players in the evangelical world, and their museum seems intended to prove to its visitors that the Bible is historically accurate and literally true. Over the years, commenters on the right have argued, with varying degrees of coherence, that harsh criticism of Hobby Lobby and of the Museum of the Bible must be motivated by anti-Christian bias. But this is like saying that criticizing John Wayne Gacy reveals an intolerance for clowns.

https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... xjw10O3m5A
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Museum of the Bible under fire for stealing artifacts.

#2  Postby felltoearth » Oct 07, 2021 5:46 pm

Oh that’s good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » Oct 07, 2021 5:48 pm

Non Facebook tracked link to the article because fuck Zuckerberg et al.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... ecord.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Oct 07, 2021 6:48 pm

“Hobby Lobby’s robby hobby” :D
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Blackadder » Oct 08, 2021 8:14 pm

To lying for Jesus, we can add looting for Jesus, stealing for Jesus, faking for Jesus and threatening law suits for Jesus. Those fundamentalist Christians really have a lock on morality, huh?
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Oct 08, 2021 9:02 pm

Oh yeah? I actually stole my very first bible. From church. It was an old pew sized King James version.

I'm sure they'd have given it to me if I had asked.

It didn't make much sense to me. I thought I'd be all wise and shit after I read it. Many years later, it still makes the same amount of sense as it did on the first reading.

Stealing for Jeebus!
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Oct 09, 2021 12:31 pm

No one who paid attention in class, of course, is in the least surprised to learn any of this. Hilarity of this sort ensues whenever mythology fanboys become infected with the disease known as "conjuring fantasies into reality".

Deciding to base one's world view upon uncritical treatment of mythological assertions as purportedly constituting fact, regardless of how much reality pisses on this presumption from a great height, pretty much pre-disposes the follower of such a course to wilful stupidity, duplicity, or both. The more ludicrous the mythology and its assertions, the more spectacularly this corollary follows.

Given here that we're dealing with the Bible, which is essentially a collection of foetidly bad fiction compiled by piss-stained Bronze Age incels, who were too stupid to count correctly the number of legs that an insect possesses, and who thought genetics was controlled by coloured sticks, it should not surprise those with functioning neurons, to discover that adherents thereof tend to occupy the extreme end of both the wilful stupidity and duplicity spectra. A perusal of, say, ten randomly chosen threads from the Creationism section of the forums, quickly educates those in need with respect to the voluminously documented aetiology.

Indeed, the Abrahamic religions have constituted fruitful pastures for charlatans and sadists of varying species ever since their inception. it's pretty much inevitable, when the central theme of these religions, as revealed within the requisite mythologies during Freudian slips on the part of the authors thereof, consists of "kill all who do not conform", a tenet pursued with inhuman glee by mythology fanboys in Europe for 1,500 years, and in some cases, to an extremely lucrative extent.

No one familiar with the recent history of American Christofascism, replete as it is with instances of mendacity on a scale that would make the Mafia blanch, should consider the latest Hobby Lobby shenanigans in the least bit unusual. Farce looms large on the horizon, whenever assorted moon pies and goo-goo-clusters set out on the mission known as "my mythology dictates how reality behaves, no matter how much reality disagrees", and much of that farce elides into the realm of the criminal with relatively little effort.

This is simply amplified to Spinal Tap 11 levels, however, when rich moon pies and goo-goo-clusters launch into this enterprise. The journey to the depths of one's own rectal passage becomes positively Odyssean in such cases, to the point where even such an entity as Placobdelloides jaegerskioldei pauses for thought and wonders if it is safe to continue further. Undaunted by any of the usual concerns, of course, the usual suspects sally forth valiantly into the realm of the human Klein bottle, and strive to demonstrate through their gymnastics that spacetime isn't merely curved, but thoroughly bent.

No doubt the ability to spend vast sums on this excursion into their own ideological wet panties zone, left them wallowing in an ocean of of their own jizzy tissues, but the consequences of being too blinkered to pay attention to reality is now hitting home. When your mission consists of trying to build an ineffable tower of splendour from sloppy mythological diarrhoea, you have a habit of either becoming a target for crooks, or joining their ranks.

Unfortunately, the one essential concept that escaped the minds of these people, was that if you're seeking to build a proper museum, scrupulous attention to detail is a critical part of the necessary operations required to realise that goal. I've spent time circulating with curators of genuine museums, and I can tell you that you would not envy their workload. Apart from the constant need for rigorous pursuit of scholarship with respect to your artefacts, there is, as revealed in the linked article, the constant need to ensure that legal and ethical issues are properly addressed, which have a habit of looming large whenever artefacts of human origin are part of the curatorial remit.

Diligence, of course, has never been a part of mythology fanboyism, except when self-aggrandisement and personal gain are the primary agendas. Which is why no one should ever trust these specimens with specimens of genuine value.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity