Oh yeah of little faith

Lourdes.. the place of healing

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#21  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2020 11:49 am

I don’t get it.

Edit: oh right, yeah. It’s just that ‘millennia’ loads of people do and I find it annoying. Like how many people insist on saying ‘mischievious’.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#22  Postby The_Piper » Apr 07, 2020 12:36 pm

Ive never heard that oine before.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28469
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#23  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2020 2:00 pm

I had an argument with a work colleague about it; her claim was that you pronounce it like that even though there is no i. I asked, incredulous, why you would pronounce a letter that wasn’t there, but amazingly she couldn’t answer. Soon to be heard saying ‘mischevious’ again in a conversation near me...
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#24  Postby The_Piper » Apr 07, 2020 2:41 pm

That would annoy me too. I see that I mistyped one, that was an accident. :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
The_Piper
 
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Posts: 28469
Age: 46
Male

Country: Chainsaw Country
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#25  Postby Thommo » Apr 07, 2020 3:03 pm

I say mischievious whilst knowing it's wrong because I enjoy the way it sounds. Out of consideration I'll try not to do it when you're around!
User avatar
Thommo
 
Posts: 27174

Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#26  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 07, 2020 4:24 pm

Whereas, I say it the normal way, but when Fallible's around, I will make sure to add the i... I'm just mischevious like that!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27890
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#27  Postby scott1328 » Apr 07, 2020 4:51 pm

Fallible wrote:I had an argument with a work colleague about it; her claim was that you pronounce it like that even though there is no i. I asked, incredulous, why you would pronounce a letter that wasn’t there, but amazingly she couldn’t answer. Soon to be heard saying ‘mischevious’ again in a conversation near me...

so then, how do you say aluminum?
User avatar
scott1328
 
Name: Some call me... Tim
Posts: 8695
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#28  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Thommo wrote:I say mischievious whilst knowing it's wrong because I enjoy the way it sounds. Out of consideration I'll try not to do it when you're around!


You’re sick. Sick!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#29  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Spearthrower wrote:Whereas, I say it the normal way, but when Fallible's around, I will make sure to add the i... I'm just mischevious like that!


You’re sick. Sick!
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#30  Postby Fallible » Apr 07, 2020 5:09 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Fallible wrote:I had an argument with a work colleague about it; her claim was that you pronounce it like that even though there is no i. I asked, incredulous, why you would pronounce a letter that wasn’t there, but amazingly she couldn’t answer. Soon to be heard saying ‘mischevious’ again in a conversation near me...

so then, how do you say aluminum?


I’m sorry, I’m not familiar with that word.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51607
Age: 48
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#31  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 07, 2020 10:54 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Fallible wrote:I had an argument with a work colleague about it; her claim was that you pronounce it like that even though there is no i. I asked, incredulous, why you would pronounce a letter that wasn’t there, but amazingly she couldn’t answer. Soon to be heard saying ‘mischevious’ again in a conversation near me...


so then, how do you say aluminum?


Exactly as the Queen does...

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /aluminium

/ˌæl.jəˈmɪn.i.əm/
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27890
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#32  Postby laklak » Apr 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Uh LU min um.

Everybody knows this.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#33  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2020 5:01 am

laklak wrote:Uh LU min um.

Everybody knows this.



Look, we let you have that poxy little island over there; the least you can do in gratitude is use the Queen's English appropriately.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
User avatar
Spearthrower
 
Posts: 27890
Age: 44
Male

Country: Thailand
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#34  Postby Mike_L » Apr 08, 2020 8:19 am

We should do away with "aluminium" and all call it "aluminum", as the Americans do.
It would be consistent with the naming of the other metals...
ferrum (iron), not ferrium
cuprum (copper), not cuprium
aurum (gold), not aurium
...etc...
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14315
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#35  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 08, 2020 8:27 am

Molybdenum and lanthanum. But: praseodymium. And thorium and thulium and thallium.

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 29549
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#36  Postby Mike_L » Apr 08, 2020 8:35 am

Yes, true... sodium and potassium, etc.
But 'aluminium' at five syllables versus 'aluminum' at four...
The American version is neater all-round. :grin:
User avatar
Mike_L
 
Posts: 14315
Male

Country: South Africa
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#37  Postby Hermit » Apr 08, 2020 8:49 am

The Wikipedia has a lot of information about the etymology and spelling of aluminium:
Etymology

Aluminium is named after alumina, or aluminium oxide in modern nomenclature. The word "alumina" comes from "alum", the mineral from which it was collected. The word "alum" comes from alumen, a Latin word meaning "bitter salt".[95] The word alumen stems from the Proto-Indo-European root *alu- meaning "bitter" or "beer".[96]
1897 American advertisement featuring the aluminum spelling

British chemist Humphry Davy, who performed a number of experiments aimed to isolate the metal, is credited as the person who named the element. In 1808, he suggested the metal be named alumium.[97] This suggestion was criticized by contemporary chemists from France, Germany, and Sweden, who insisted the metal should be named for the oxide, alumina, from which it would be isolated.[98] In 1812, Davy chose aluminum, thus producing the modern name.[99] However, its spelling and pronunciation varies: aluminum is in use in the United States and Canada while aluminium is in use elsewhere.[100]

Spelling

The -ium suffix followed the precedent set in other newly discovered elements of the time: potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, and strontium (all of which Davy isolated himself). Nevertheless, element names ending in -um were known at the time; for example, platinum (known to Europeans since the 16th century), molybdenum (discovered in 1778), and tantalum (discovered in 1802). The -um suffix is consistent with the universal spelling alumina for the oxide (as opposed to aluminia); compare to lanthana, the oxide of lanthanum, and magnesia, ceria, and thoria, the oxides of magnesium, cerium, and thorium, respectively.

In 1812, British scientist Thomas Young[101] wrote an anonymous review of Davy's book, in which he objected to aluminum and proposed the name aluminium: "for so we shall take the liberty of writing the word, in preference to aluminum, which has a less classical sound."[102] This name did catch on: while the -um spelling was occasionally used in Britain, the American scientific language used -ium from the start.[103] Most scientists used -ium throughout the world in the 19th century;[104] it still remains the standard in most other languages.[100] In 1828, American lexicographer Noah Webster used exclusively the aluminum spelling in his American Dictionary of the English Language.[105] In the 1830s, the -um spelling started to gain usage in the United States; by the 1860s, it had become the more common spelling there outside science.[103] In 1892, Hall used the -um spelling in his advertising handbill for his new electrolytic method of producing the metal, despite his constant use of the -ium spelling in all the patents he filed between 1886 and 1903. It was subsequently suggested this was a typo rather than intended.[100] By 1890, both spellings had been common in the U.S. overall, the -ium spelling being slightly more common; by 1895, the situation had reversed; by 1900, aluminum had become twice as common as aluminium; during the following decade, the -um spelling dominated American usage.[106] In 1925, the American Chemical Society adopted this spelling.[106]

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990.[107] In 1993, they recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant;[107] the most recent 2005 edition of the IUPAC nomenclature of inorganic chemistry acknowledges this spelling as well.[108] IUPAC official publications use the -ium spelling as primary but list both where appropriate.[e]
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Hermit
 
Name: Cantankerous grump
Posts: 4337
Age: 67
Male

Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#38  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 08, 2020 9:04 am

Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
 
Name: Al Forno, LLD,LDL,PPM
Posts: 29549
Age: 23
Male

Country: The Heartland
Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#39  Postby Alan B » Apr 12, 2020 5:47 pm

ALOOminum. What a shirty way to say it. : :naughty: j :snooty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 9999
Age: 84
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Oh yeah of little faith

#40  Postby laklak » Apr 12, 2020 5:50 pm

What do you Brits know? You just throw a "u" into any old word.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 20878
Age: 66
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest