Orthodox Jew vs fundamental Muslims

Seriously what is the difference?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Orthodox Jew vs fundamental Muslims

#181  Postby angelo » Aug 19, 2012 8:24 am

A quick Google result.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTcHa5JlumY[/youtube]
angelo

Name: angelo barbato
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 19, 2012 9:32 am

Duly note that this Jew also criticizes Judaism for not living up to the standards he thinks religions should live up to - thus, what he says can't really be seen as representative of Judaism, as he quite clearly contrasts his stance to the stances of other Jews.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#183  Postby angelo » Aug 19, 2012 10:01 am

Fancy living one's life according to their religion. The wreckage across the muslim world is testament to the absurdity of it all.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#184  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 19, 2012 3:20 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
In islam a liberal muslim organisation has not appeared. There has been no schism along those lines plenty on other lines though which has clearly manifest itself in countries in the middle east.

Liberal movements within Islam

You might also want to check out British Muslims for Secular Democracy.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#185  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Another load of cherry pickers.

I think you will find that they are not recognised by mainstream muslims.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:

Does that then not indicate a schism of the type you say does not exist in Islam?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#187  Postby angelo » Aug 20, 2012 6:41 am

@Scott. There are extremist and moderates in both Muslim as well as Xtianity. Both have no place in 21st century planet earth.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#188  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 20, 2012 2:24 pm

angelo wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b]Scott.[/b][/color] There are extremist and moderates in both Muslim as well as Xtianity. Both have no place in 21st century planet earth.

Why is that? Because in 21st century people are to be told what they can and can't think?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Sgt Kelly » Aug 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Does that then not indicate a schism of the type you say does not exist in Islam?

I do not know what the membership of these organizations amounts to, but I doubt it will reach the requisite number of millions, including prominent clerics, that would be required to treat it as anything approaching a schism.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#190  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 20, 2012 3:01 pm

Sgt Kelly wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

I do not know what the membership of these organizations amounts to, but I doubt it will reach the requisite number of millions, including prominent clerics, that would be required to treat it as anything approaching a schism.

The point I was initially responding to was Scot's assertion that no liberal organisation had arisen in Islam. I pointed out that there were indeed some, but he said these would not be 'recognised' by mainstream Islam. Well of course they wouldn't be. It's like the Catholic church that for how long described itself as the "one true church"? (For all I know it still does.)
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#191  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 20, 2012 4:29 pm

I agree with Sgt Kelly. The numbers are too small to becounted as a schisim.
How many mosques do they have?

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 20, 2012 4:35 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I agree with Sgt Kelly. The numbers are too small to becounted as a schisim.

Well for a start the British Muslims for Secular Democracy is just an organisation, not a religious sect.

And whether they count as a schism or not, they do count as liberal Muslims. Which you said didn't exist.
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#193  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I agree with Sgt Kelly. The numbers are too small to becounted as a schisim.

Well for a start the British Muslims for Secular Democracy is just an organisation, not a religious sect.

And whether they count as a schism or not, they do count as liberal Muslims. Which you said didn't exist.

But they do not have numbers to form a schism.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#194  Postby Zwaarddijk » Aug 20, 2012 6:00 pm

Sgt Kelly wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

It's a schism even if it has a dozen members. Or has the divine voice come down and decreed that it's only a schism once it's reached a certain number of adherents?
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#195  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:

I am not debating that. I am challenging the fact that you said there were no liberal Muslims!
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Scot Dutchy » Aug 21, 2012 2:06 pm

Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:

I am not debating that. I am challenging the fact that you said there were no liberal Muslims!

Ok I agree there are some but nothing like for instance liberal jews.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#197  Postby angelo » Aug 22, 2012 9:51 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
angelo wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]Scott.[/b][/color][/b][/color] There are extremist and moderates in both Muslim as well as Xtianity. Both have no place in 21st century planet earth.

Why is that? Because in 21st century people are to be told what they can and can't think?

Meaning they belong to 15th century thinking. People can think what they like, millions of men have died in two world wars and more defending that right. But like RD I see that extremism as a sort of child abuse when taught to young minds.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Aern Rakesh » Aug 22, 2012 9:55 am

angelo wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
angelo wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]Scott.[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color] There are extremist and moderates in both Muslim as well as Xtianity. Both have no place in 21st century planet earth.

Meaning they belong to 15th century thinking. People can think what they like, millions of men have died in two world wars and more defending that right. But like RD I see that extremism as a sort of child abuse when taught to young minds.

But you said that even moderate religious thinking has no place in the 21st century, which is pretty much demanding that everyone think like you, surely?
Aern Rakesh
RS Donator

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#199  Postby angelo » Aug 22, 2012 10:00 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:

Ok I agree there are some but nothing like for instance liberal jews.

@Scott. There are little over 13 million Jews in the world compared to around 1 billion muslims. I'm certain the numbers of extremist would show these numbers in percentages.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#200  Postby angelo » Aug 22, 2012 10:12 am

Nora_Leonard wrote:
angelo wrote:
Nora_Leonard wrote:
angelo wrote:@[color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b][color=#CC0000][b]Scott.[/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color][/b][/color] There are extremist and moderates in both Muslim as well as Xtianity. Both have no place in 21st century planet earth.

But you said that even moderate religious thinking has no place in the 21st century, which is pretty much demanding that everyone think like you, surely?

I demand nothing. If anything I'm surprised that most religious thinking/belief has survived into the 21st century in the numbers that have. In some parts of the world like the USA up to 60% still think we were created by god just 10.000 years ago. To take another example this time the muslim world, even secular countries like Turkey have around the same or more creationist. I remember discussions a few of decades ago where I stated to anyone who would listen that by the turn of the century religion in all its guises would be on it's last grasp. Was I ever wrong! In fact I think religion has increased if the evangelical mega churches are taken into consideration.
angelo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism