Parallel and merging religions

Wow, your god is my god too?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Parallel and merging religions

#1  Postby zulumoose » Jan 30, 2020 9:41 am

Religion is cultural, that seems obvious.

Hindu gods, for e.g. are unique and were only "revealed" to people within a particular regional/cultural divide.

Viking gods, Greek gods, Roman gods, the god of mount hockalugee, etc. All "discovered" by the people within a certain group. Greek and Roman very parallel, but apparently not the same?

Now if any gods were real, why wouldn't they be common to other peoples of the time, and why wouldn't there be multiple instances since the modern communication revolution of cultural exchanges leading to the realisation that different cultures were worshipping the same gods, who have the same values, rules, history, personality etc.

This seems to me to be an important point that I haven't seen addressed in religious discussion much, if at all.

How are the religious so comfortable with a god or gods that apparently created all of mankind, but then adopted one tribe, and chose to communicate with and support them exclusively. Why doesn't that set the alarm bells ringing?

Even the three major Abrahamic religions are divided specifically on messages through messiah/prophet apparently meant specifically for them, to be spread through contact or conquest, rather than by simply being convincing to all.

What is the religious response to this? Are there any merging religions who realised they were properly parallel to the point where it was clearly the same god?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Parallel and merging religions

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 30, 2020 9:49 am

Xenophanes, 5th century B.C. wrote:The Ethiops say that their gods are flat-nosed and black, while the Thracians say that theirs have blue eyes and red hair. Yet if cattle or horses or lions had hands and could draw, and could sculpt like men, then the horses would draw their gods like horses, and cattle like cattle; and each they would shape bodies of gods in the likeness, each kind, of their own.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Fallible » Jan 30, 2020 10:03 am

Surely they just say god revealed things to them alone because they were the chosen people.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Hermit » Jan 30, 2020 10:22 am

zulumoose wrote:Now if any gods were real...

I love hypotheticals (not!)

Assuming there were one real god, theists would still be arguing (and killing each other) over the issue of what and who that god is because we humans are nowhere near as rational as we imagine ourselves to be. This applies to all of us. If it did not, we would have agreed by now on what constitutes an ideal society. There'd be no wars between capitalists and communists. Nor would there be conflicts within advocates of capitalism or within advocates of communism. The eternal search for a solution that reconciles the tension between the rights and freedoms of the individual and the limitations thereof imposed by the necessity of every individual to live in a society would have come to a satisfactory conclusion.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby zulumoose » Jan 30, 2020 10:38 am

Assuming there were one real god, theists would still be arguing (and killing each other) over the issue of what and who that god is because we humans are nowhere near as rational as we imagine ourselves to be.

I would say that assuming there were one real god, our understanding of it would be exactly what it wants us to believe.
Looking at the range of beliefs, and the way believers have been inspired to interact with each other and society at large over the ages, makes it patently obvious that any real god doesn't seem to care, unless the whole point is amusement at our unguided development and follies.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 30, 2020 10:42 am

How are the religious so comfortable with a god or gods that apparently created all of mankind, but then adopted one tribe, and chose to communicate with and support them exclusively. Why doesn't that set the alarm bells ringing?

I think that answers itself: because we're the Chosen Ones... if your religion told you that the other chap was the Chosen One, you probably wouldn't be a member of that religion.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Alan B » Jan 30, 2020 1:35 pm

Gods/religions are about one thing and one thing only: control. The type of control (bolstered by various stories and legends) depends upon the culture/ethnicity of the group being controlled and the group doing the controlling.

When one group meets another group there is a chance to compare and we could get: Your god does the same as our god. Wow!

The controllers of one group can sometimes go to war with the other group(s) if it looks like they could lose control (the other group's god/religion seems 'better') or if they think that their 'god'/religion must be imposed on all other groups (in order to extend their control).

This seems obvious - I'm just waffling here...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Theism