Parents remove 6 year old from school

over transgender student.

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Parents remove 6 year old from school

#21  Postby Blackadder » Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm

You raise an interesting point SOS. One I would like to address. I should say at the outset that applying the general to the specific is always fraught with risk of being wrong. However, as a former member of another rabidly anti-gay religion (Islam), I think I have some insight into what fears drive these two, as I've seen similar reactions before among Muslims.

The visceral, driving fear is that their children will abandon their faith and thereby be punished by their god, for all eternity. And they see a risk that if their child abandons one tenet of their faith (e.g. Homosexuality is an abomination) then other tenets become a little easier to abandon too. They are afraid of the wedge of unbelief being driven through their child's carefully inculcated religious programming.

This is a justifiable fear in monolithic religions like Islam, in which every small facet is treated as utterly inviolable and as important as the whole. A very common response among devout Muslims to apparently minor transgressions is "you are a kaffir if you do that". Hence flows the totalitarianism of fundamentalist religions. Biblically fundamental Christians exhibit many of the same traits as Muslims in this regard. Unlike the Anglican faith, which appears to allow shades of beilef or a menu of choices about which bits to treat literally and which allegorically, monolithic Christianity cannot cope with such ambiguity. Which is why the liberal versions of faiths are almost more despised by the fundamentalists than complete unbelievers, for the liberals present a more daunting threat of gradual dissembling of religious belief, from within.

So I think these two individuals want to keep their kid behind the ramparts of monolothic belief, lest he accept transgenders as "normal" and then start to question other parts of his so-called moral code. .
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Blackadder wrote:So I think these two individuals want to keep their kid behind the ramparts of monolothic belief, lest he accept transgenders as "normal" and then start to question other parts of his so-called moral code. .

I feel this is the crux of the matter which is why so many religious nutcases want to home-teach their children. They are terrified that their faith cant handle this situation and would be exposed as the fraud that it is.

Home-teaching is illegal here.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Sep 15, 2017 1:55 pm

"I'm entitled to my opinion!'
Yes, but you're not entitled to make shit up, nor are you entitled not to have your opinions rebutted.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Blackadder wrote:So I think these two individuals want to keep their kid behind the ramparts of monolothic belief, lest he accept transgenders as "normal" and then start to question other parts of his so-called moral code. .

I feel this is the crux of the matter which is why so many religious nutcases want to home-teach their children. They are terrified that their faith cant handle this situation and would be exposed as the fraud that it is.

Home-teaching is illegal here.

Yeah, I think that's the size of it, too. On the positive side, that's a little bigoted kid who is no longer in a position to inflict his bigotry onto other kids at school. That's a result all by itself. Doesn't do the little bigoted kid much good, but short of removing the poor bastard from his bigoted parents, that kid's future is nearly settled already.

But, before you get on a box and rail against teaching kids at home, you have to understand why people do it. I have no good local examples, but I'm not about to put my boys in the public schools here or anywhere. The quality of the education they get in public schools is shit. Kids learn to be compliant laborers in public schools. Nothing more. It's what public schools are purposely designed to produce.

Those kids are going to be working for my kids.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#25  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 15, 2017 6:46 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
To be contrary... or 'different'

Jumping on these two and calling them bigot fucktards will generate as much discord as they presumably have generated. Or more. Alienate them for their 'differences' and you will end up with the possibility fo a Trump in your future as well.

These two are curiosities and I like curious things. They are having an episode-of-imagining around their child and it is triggering some kind of fear or fear-like emotion. Something is bothering them at a visceral level. It would be more productive to find out what they are imagining and what has triggered the fear.

I recently attended a Scala meeting where the presenter was obviously born male and now had on a dress. I felt something and I have no idea what it was. I had no choice in this matter of having felt something. What I did not do is imagine something else or decide that my feeling(confusion?) was reason to get my shorts in a bundle and be 'offended'.

Now, offended is what YOU guys are being here. Do you see how that is the very same thing that these two are blathering about? If you don't, leave off the quote-relply button and consider your own confusion, and your own future political takeover by those very same people you refuse to consider.

I also recently attended a dinner with employees and other owners for my software company. I was trying to make conversation above the boring standard level and mentioned a quote: "Dead hookers are our spirit animal'. Apparently, many were 'offended'. I was the tranny in the room and these people wanted to gather up their little ones and flee. I was 'offended' by their offended and no one gets why any of us felt what we felt.

So. What is the nature of these two and what, honestly what, are they imagining and what are they afraid for? Try and see them plainly without the coloring of YOUR Imagination and YOUR fears.
I'm pretty damned sure they did not wake up and decide to be Bigots with a capital 'B'.

Nope. It sneaks up a bit at a time. Normalize one bigoted behavior, then another, and you see where it eventually ends. Just like how that little kid is nearly certain to grow up having the very same prejudices as his bigoted parents. He'll have a lifetime to learn how.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Seabass » Sep 16, 2017 10:07 pm

That poor kid must have severe PTSD from seeing girls wearing pants/trousers instead of dresses.
"Bad government is the natural product of rule by those who believe government is bad." —Thomas Frank

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind." —Einstein
"I’m a nationalist." —Trump
Seabass

Name: Typical Macho American

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Arcanyn » Sep 17, 2017 4:24 pm

PTSD from being raised by narcissistic parents, more like. The parents don't give a damn about their kid, they're not acting out concern for their child's wellbeing. He's just a pawn for getting them what they want. And they're quite probably drunk on narcissistic supply right now, being seen on national television as being oh so caring for 'protecting' their child from an imaginary threat. And so courageous for doing so in the face of (very deserved) criticism. They're such "heroic" defenders of their child's interests, and they want the world to see this. This is all about stroking their egos and nothing more. Their bigotry is a result of basic scapegoating behaviour - when a person lives their lives unable to deal with admitting to any flaws at all, they tend to need to have someone else to project their flaws onto. Someone they can demonise, so they can say, "look at how horrible those people are, I'm so much better than them, aren't I?". Someone who, when things go wrong in their life, they can blame for it, rather than take responsibility for their own actions. Sometimes they pick individuals, sometimes groups, but usually it's anyone who they perceive as being an easy target and unable to fight back.

It's pretty certain that the kid is being subjected to much psychological abuse at home - if they're so blatant about their controlling tendencies in public I shudder to think of what they get up to behind closed doors. The only people who go to enormous lengths to try to loudly proclaim what great parents they are, are those who are trying to cover up the fact that they're anything but. Their child is the victim here, being raised by such creeps, and I hope he manages to escape them one day without suffering too much damage.
Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Only when someone is free from constraints and consequences do they show their true character.

Sign the petition for the William Lane Craig/David Icke debate here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/craigickedebate/signatures
Arcanyn

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 17, 2017 8:56 pm

My mother in law managed it. I am truly impressed by it. Her mother was the meanest bitch I ever heard described. So often, their kids never escape the hatred. To my mother in law's great credit, she did.
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Sep 18, 2017 2:09 am

SpeedOfSound wrote: "Dead hookers are our spirit animal'.

I am SO going to use that at the first opportunity.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 22, 2017 12:47 pm

laklak wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote: "Dead hookers are our spirit animal'.

I am SO going to use that at the first opportunity.

I must give credit. I lifted that off VICE News in one of their interviews. Amazing how often it's useful for me in conversation.
"Daddy, why did god make YEC's?"
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#31  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 22, 2017 1:00 pm

Since The Trumpocalypse I have been practicing a new way to understand those who seem to have radical differences in their beliefs. I ask two questions:

what are they imagining
and
What are they afraid of

Often when we have strong opinions they are backed by some scenario that we imagine. Example. I am a bit of a gun nut. My head is filled with imagined home invasions and fortified by Hollywood. I am afraid of being caught up with my kids behind a thin wooden door with no way to defend them. Because these imaginings and fears are so often practiced in my mind, I have a deep emotionally active belief in gun ownership.

Someone else may imagine guys like me accidentally shooting their kids. Therein we have the basis of a hell of a fight between us.

Soto the topic. These parents are imagining something about what happens to their kid when he goes to school.It's combined with some fear of what their kids reaction will be. Aggravating the situation they have a whole closet full of Image/Fear memes stored with their religious beliefs. Now, I can sit and judge them and disparage them, or I can seek to understand them and hope to change them. Slowly.

One can easily see that hating and shaming those with radical differences in belief is only going to serve to reinforce those beliefs.

Fuck. There has to be a better way. I'm operating under another belief that attempts to shame certain more conservative believers resulted in a clown for president. I imagine pissed off and shamed conservatives pulling the lever for A Clown. I'm afraid that it will all repeat itself in three years unless we change something.

See where I'm going with this?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#32  Postby aban57 » Sep 22, 2017 3:03 pm

monkeyboy wrote:You know, if this had happened in one of my kids' classes, I'd be overjoyed if dickheads like these two took their precious out of the school and fucked off. They can take their prejudiced, bigoted fear somewhere else to push onto everyone else.

If and when my kids ever come home and ask things like "X said he's got 2 mums, why doesn't he have a dad?", we always just explained things. Kids accept stuff not always being consistent and so long as being different isn't demonised, it shouldn't be a problem.

Indeed, kids are not born with prejudices. They are enforced onto them.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#33  Postby I'm With Stupid » Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm

They must have real trouble around panto season.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Shagz » Sep 23, 2017 2:41 am

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Fuck. There has to be a better way. I'm operating under another belief that attempts to shame certain more conservative believers resulted in a clown for president. I imagine pissed off and shamed conservatives pulling the lever for A Clown. I'm afraid that it will all repeat itself in three years unless we change something.

Frankly, no. Surely you don't really believe that Trump was elected because conservatives were being "shamed"?
Shagz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby The_Piper » Sep 23, 2017 3:12 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:They must have real trouble around panto season.

What the hell is that?
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Calilasseia » Sep 23, 2017 3:25 am

The_Piper wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:They must have real trouble around panto season.

What the hell is that?

Ah, the fun of Pantomime season here in the UK. Where the "principal boy" is in fact a girl, and a range of female characters are actually blokes in frocks. :D

A whole range of stories are dragged out during Pantomime season, and given this treatment. Jack And the Beanstalk, Cinderella and Dick Whittington are but three perennial favourites.

A more detailed explanation can be found here.

The section on 'Performance Conventions' is particularly illuminating for those who haven't experienced this British theatre quirk. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#37  Postby The_Piper » Sep 23, 2017 1:24 pm

:cheers:
Well I have to admit I like their hats. :lol:
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#38  Postby SpeedOfSound » Sep 25, 2017 11:41 am

Shagz wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

Frankly, no. Surely you don't really believe that Trump was elected because conservatives were being "shamed"?

I haven't talked to one Trump voter, of better than average intelligence, who isn't sick to fucking death of hearing liberal whine. People who are tired of moral posturing and shouting who decided to kick the can at the picture window and see what comes of it.

I'm damn close myself. Tired of all the emotional tagging when someone simply has a different opinion about something.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Male

Kyrgyzstan (kg)
Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Piper » Sep 25, 2017 11:17 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Shagz wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

I haven't talked to one Trump voter, of better than average intelligence, who isn't sick to fucking death of hearing liberal whine. People who are tired of moral posturing and shouting who decided to kick the can at the picture window and see what comes of it.

I'm damn close myself. Tired of all the emotional tagging when someone simply has a different opinion about something.

Well that's happening on..."many sides, many sides".
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby The_Metatron » Sep 26, 2017 11:29 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
Shagz wrote:
SpeedOfSound wrote:

You didn't catch what you did there?

When Trumpers do it, they are having a different opinion. When liberals do it, they are whining.

Sent from my completely solar powered iPad using Tapatalk
I AM Skepdickus!

The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism