Prosperity Gospel

It's worse here than I thought

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Prosperity Gospel

#1  Postby Alan C » Jun 17, 2019 10:13 pm

For a while now I've been aware of the local scum-sucking leech that is Brian Tamaki and his personal piggy bank; Destiny Church. Recently he's tried to get into NZ politics with his wife fronting a political party. I would expect this to be a spectacular failure.
However, I was driving to work this morning past the local shopping complex and I spied a billboard advertising City Impact Church. I was unpleasantly surprised. They do have a mega church [by NZ standards] in another nearby suburb but I didn't expect this.

I vaguely recalled something about the arsehole founders getting absurdly rich from this so I thought I'd look a bit more into it. For one thing this 'church' is being hosted at this shopping complex's chain cinema, one I'd visit often [I've since attempted to contact them to voice concern]. I also looked more into the church from the testimony of an ex-member that fielded questions in a reddit page a few years ago. A few things came from this;

- The founder is rich enough to drive in sports cars, indeed, this is flaunted to say 'look how rich you can be with gawd on your side'.
- They run annual camps which indoctrinate kids into church teachings and against things like education, science and individual family values. Not only that but they run private schools that mindfuck them into becoming their future leaders.

Add to this Gloriavale and a couple of others like Victory Church and Equippers being similarly enriched enterprises and I see serious problems. Particularly for our more vulnerable Pacifika peoples whose islands were invaded by missionaries wanting to 'save' them, they tend to be lower on the socio-economic ladder so tithing is particularly insidious there. As such, there is a significant amount of religiosity in the population. Where I live there's as many churches as there are corner dairies [think small convenience stores like 7-11] but the only one that really bothers me is the one up my street where the fuckers park up it for Saturday evenings as well as Sunday morning AND evening AND events. I think the only reason they have numbers is an influx of Phillipinos and Chinese christians.

But just returning to the topic, I had considered evangelical money-sucking vampire churches to be a somewhat uniquely American institution. It bothers me to consider that this societal parasitism had been imported here.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Prosperity Gospel

#2  Postby laklak » Jun 18, 2019 2:42 am

African churches are the same way, at least where I've been. If you've got a culture that already believes in haints, spooks, tokalosh, magic, witches, spells, you name it, you'll grow evangalists and other flim-flam men like raw chicken grows salmonella.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Svartalf » Jun 18, 2019 8:07 am

Jesus preached that the wealthy would have trouble reaching paradise, I wonder how those money grubbing flim flam folk dare call themselves christians... OTOH, in a country where people wear MAGA hats and follow 45; I have no trouble seeing how they'd get followers.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 18, 2019 10:33 am

Alan C wrote:
But just returning to the topic, I had considered evangelical money-sucking vampire churches to be a somewhat uniquely American institution. It bothers me to consider that this societal parasitism had been imported here.

You could try and find a sympathetic investigative reporter to start digging and expose them - they only succeed when their shady underbellies are never exposed to the light of day.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby Alan C » Jun 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Alan C wrote:

You could try and find a sympathetic investigative reporter to start digging and expose them - they only succeed when their shady underbellies are never exposed to the light of day.

Interesting thought.
I did end up directing a tweet to the theatre in question challenging their choice to host this church. That was mainly because their website has one of those contact pages where you can't actually put forward a generic question or complaint. You can only go through their set types of queries which is asking about or providing feedback to the movie experience or booking events.
Perhaps someone will pick up on that. I think the billboard in question was changed on a following day but I can't say whether that coincides with my posting.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Spearthrower » Jun 20, 2019 7:42 am

Alan C wrote:
Interesting thought.

The reason I suggested it is because propsperity gospel peddlers in the US are protected by the absurd status religions are granted there - a fact that even many Christian organizations are raising concerns about.

Whereas I doubt, although I don't know whether it's the case or not, that NZ doesn't have such blanket protection and so this could be a relatively simple angle of deceptive marketing, or misuse of charitable status etc.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Jun 20, 2019 2:29 pm

In order to maintain their tax-exempt status, churches and "religious organizations" must maintain 501c3 status. They must adhere to the following rules:

The organization must be organized and operated exclusively for religious or other charitable purposes
The net earning must not benefit any private individual or shareholder exclusively
No substantial part of the organization’s activity may be the attempt to influence legislation
The organization cannot intervene in political campaigns
The organization’s purpose and actions cannot be illegal or violate fundamental public policy

How the hell do people like Joel Osteen and Creflo Dollar get away with it?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Svartalf » Jun 20, 2019 3:36 pm

Because the SS won't pursue enquiries and no DA or other prosecutors will try to take them out for fraud, no matter how manisfest it is.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity