Record number of British people say they have no religion

Surprised?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Record number of British people say they have no religion

#21  Postby tuco » Sep 06, 2017 5:00 pm

The praying part is reference to his PTSD which indeed culminated in his adulthood, just like in case of many others here lol, when becoming outspoken against religion.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby RealityRules » Sep 06, 2017 9:21 pm

tuco wrote:

...Humanists UK, a national charity working on behalf of non-religious people, said it was “meaningless” for the Church of England to remain the national legally established church, and to urge the Government to end the “ever-increasing” state funding for religion.

... chief executive Andrew Copson said: “How can it be right that 97 per cent of young people today are not Anglicans, but some 20 per cent of the state schools to which their children will go belong to the Church of England?

“More generally, how can the Church of England remain in any meaningful sense the national legally established church, when it caters for such a small portion of the population?”

How?

btw I was not aware its the national legally-established church. Grow up lol

What are you referring to with "Grow up lol" ??

Do you know what 'established' means, in this sense?
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#23  Postby tuco » Sep 06, 2017 9:30 pm

Usually, I know meaning of words from dictionary. Legally-established as in: recognized by the law. Growing up, in this sense, means: arrive to full maturity as in: vote it out ffs! Just like the Queen. wtf is wrong with people who keep monarch and religion? Hello?! This 21st century, you know. Established. I guess you like established, innit.
tuco

Print view this post

#24  Postby RealityRules » Sep 06, 2017 10:51 pm

tuco wrote: I guess you like established,

Nup.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#25  Postby RealityRules » Sep 06, 2017 10:57 pm

Besides
Scot Dutchy wrote:
..just 3% of those aged 18-24 describing themselves as Anglican ..

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 28896.html

The Guardian reported -

... only 5% of that age group identify as Catholic.

Among the next age group, 25-34, only 5% identify as Anglicans and 9% say they are Catholic. The presence in the UK of young European workers may be a factor in the relatively high proportion of young Catholics.

Among all adults in Britain, only 15% consider themselves to be Anglican, compared with almost one in three at the turn of the century [2000?] ... 9% identify as Catholics, 17% as “other Christian”, and 6% say they belong to non-Christian religions.

More generally, 53% of all adults describe themselves as having no religious affiliation, up from 48% in 2015.

Many within the C of E have warned that its *resistance to same-sex marriage, and the difficulty of some churches in accepting LGBT Christians, have alienated almost an entire generation of young adults*. Some young people also view the C of E as failing to embrace and represent the diversity of 21st-century Britain.

C of E leaders are aware of the risk of atrophy, with a warning last year that numbers attending church were expected to continue to decline for the next three decades. They have embarked on an evangelism and reform programme

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... are_btn_fb
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby tuco » Sep 06, 2017 11:00 pm

Not you personally, but voters of the UK. Interpretations of presence of legally-established religion and monarch in today's society may vary, however, fondness for established as in: having existed for long time therefore accepted does not seem to me as improbable interpretation of the state of events.
tuco

Print view this post

#27  Postby Wortfish » Sep 08, 2017 11:47 am

According to the survey, 71% of those aged 18-24 have no religion.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 08, 2017 11:52 am

So? It is probably higher.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Wortfish » Sep 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So? It is probably higher.

You can read the full report here: http://natcen.ac.uk/news-media/press-re ... -religion/
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#30  Postby crank » Sep 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

How does that work wrt the rest of Britain?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 08, 2017 3:41 pm

crank wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

No idea these days. I dont think they pay much attention. Once Queen Liz dies I think it will disappear from public view.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby RealityRules » Sep 09, 2017 5:01 am

crank wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official ['established'] state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

The Church of Scotland (aka 'the Kirk') has been described as the 'established' church of Scotland (eg. in this currently available 2011 bbc article, and this online Catholic Encyclopedia entry), but it is really just the 'national' Scottish [Presbyterian] church, and it emphasises the place of other churches in Scotland and seeks to co-operate with them. The Church of Scotland represented 32.4% of the population at the 2011 census. The Roman Catholic Church accounted for 15.9% of the population and is especially important in West Central Scotland and the Highlands. Scotland's third largest church is the Scottish Episcopal Church (a member church of the Anglican Communion made up of just seven dioceses, each with its own bishop. in 2013 in reported its numbers as 34,119 members (all ages)). In the 2011 census, 'no religion' and 'religion not stated' were 36.7% and 7.0%, respectively. Islam was 1.4%.

The Church of Scotland Act 1921 is an Act of the British Parliament. The purpose of the Act was to settle centuries of dispute between the British Parliament and the Church of Scotland over the Church's independence in spiritual matters. The passing of the Act saw the British Parliament recognise the Church's independence in spiritual matters, by giving legal recognition to the Articles Declaratory [which lay out our structure, governance, and membership].

Until 1920 the established church in Wales was the Church of England, but it has been disestablished from 1920 as the 'Church in Wales' (still Anglican).

The Welsh Church Act 1914 provided for the separation of the four dioceses of the Church of England located in Wales (known collectively as 'the Church in Wales') from the rest of the Church, and for the simultaneous disestablishment of the Church. The Act came into operation in 1920.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... ablishment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Church in Wales' (Eglwys yng Nghymru) is the largest denomination in Wales with 30% of the population identifying themselves as adherents. The Roman Catholic Church (Eglwys Gatholig Rufeinig) is the next largest denomination with 17.6% of the population as members. The next largest religious society is the Presbyterian Church of Wales (Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru) with 34,819 (2004) members (slightly more than 1% of the population), followed by the Union of Welsh Independents (Undeb yr Annibynwyr Cymraeg) and the Baptist Union of Wales (Undeb Bedyddwyr Cymru) which each have about 1% of the population as members.

No religions was 32% and not stated was 7.6% in the 2011 census.

[Other religions are all < 1% of the population]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... Statistics
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Fallible » Sep 09, 2017 9:21 am

My experience is that the vast majority of people here don't care about religion or discuss it. They also don't care about what the 'oficial' religion is or who heads it. Some forms ask for your religion, but you're not obliged to answer. I do however always tick 'no religion', since people began to catch up and stopped putting 'athism' down as a religion. It seems to me it's the old gets who find this stuff important. It seems to go along with a diminishing sense of safety which occurs in old age, and a hankering after the way things used to be in the good old days. They are not receptive to the idea that such days never actually existed. It is a disgrace that the state funds church schools here. They should stop immediately and quit letting fantasists meddle with impressionable minds.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 10:14 am

It will stop once it'll become a political issue with majority support.
tuco

Print view this post

#35  Postby VazScep » Sep 09, 2017 4:15 pm

tuco wrote:Usually, I know meaning of words from dictionary. Legally-established as in: recognized by the law. Growing up, in this sense, means: arrive to full maturity as in: vote it out ffs! Just like the Queen. wtf is wrong with people who keep monarch and religion? Hello?! This 21st century, you know. Established. I guess you like established, innit.
Perhaps I'm somewhat conservative, and perhaps somewhat non-rational, but I'm not about throwing out ceremony and tradition just because we can't find a logical reason for it. I like the Queen, and I like the idea of constitutional monarchy. I also don't have a major problem with an established Church. I like random tradition, and I like the wacky idea that the British State (the Crown) is incarnate.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah so that answers the How? question. Well, to each their own and I can only lol at it, which is also my right.
tuco

Print view this post

#37  Postby VazScep » Sep 09, 2017 4:46 pm

tuco wrote:Yeah so that answers the How? question. Well, to each their own and I can only lol at it, which is also my right.
Part of the fun is that people find the tradition a bit eccentric.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 7:20 pm

What to say to people who find added value in spending money on something eccentric instead of something .. how was it .. worthwhile?
tuco

Print view this post

#39  Postby The_Piper » Sep 09, 2017 7:57 pm

BlackBart wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

"Honey, what religion are we again? "

"Just put COE, that's pretty neutral"

"oh, ok"

I had that conversation when my brother took me to A&E when I was 16;

"Er, what religion are we?"

"Just put C of E"

I just leave it blank these days - they may as well have a box for favourite cartoon character for all the relevance it has these days.

... It'd be Spiderman BTW.
By the blood of my sword, you should like Snoopy!
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#40  Postby VazScep » Sep 09, 2017 8:26 pm

tuco wrote:What to say to people who find added value in spending money on something eccentric instead of something .. how was it .. worthwhile?
It'd take me forever to figure out worthwhile. Or maybe I'm just lazy and give up too easy. When people steal from me, my instinctive reaction is "they'll spend it better than I would."

Bottom line, I despise rationalists of all stripes, starting with Descartes, and ending with most outspoken atheists I see on the internet. Yeah, the Church is absurd. We'll be here all day if that's the threshold. Then again, I suspect most atheists on the internet are a tad bitter about their upbringing.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Theism