Record number of British people say they have no religion

Surprised?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Record number of British people say they have no religion

#41  Postby Matthew Shute » Sep 09, 2017 8:33 pm

"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 8:34 pm

@VazScep: Maybe. Or maybe just unwilling. There is also another approach. Accept you cant figure it out and ask others what worthwhile is. Of course, if others figured that having 4th of July fireworks being paid with taxpayers money instead of I dunno few trucks with free burgers for those who ask for them is preferred, then you are stuck.
Last edited by tuco on Sep 09, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#43  Postby tuco » Sep 09, 2017 8:43 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:Image

That is interesting drawing without eyes. How much is feeling of superiority worth? Not much, innit.
tuco

Print view this post

#44  Postby VazScep » Sep 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:Image
xkcd is always obligatory, even when not.

Go back to Internet Infidels, where I started, a site administered by that dick Carrier, and you'll see a bunch of atheists who were not arseholes and who didn't dogpile theists. RDF, by contrast, was a hotbed of arseholery that migrated here. Not that I mind that much, but I did like how we used to be able to entertain theists back on IIDB, while here, it's all about chasing them away. I'm all too tempted to question people's insecurities in this environment.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby aban57 » Sep 09, 2017 9:51 pm

Wortfish wrote:
zulumoose wrote:

I'm sure in the U.K. there are plenty of conversations along the lines of:-

"Honey, what religion are we again? "

"Just put COE, that's pretty neutral"

"oh, ok"

Even Richard Dawkins admits he is a cultural Christian. As a boy, he spent many an hour in the chapel of his boarding school, praying to God, when all the other students were ssound asleep.

That's why it's called "endocrination". Forcing fake ideas to kids with no chance to escape is text book endocrination. Every newborn in Saudi Arabia is a cultural muslim, until maybe he gets educated, and become atheist. Also he must learn to avoid hanging and not to speak too much on social media.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 10, 2017 10:32 am

The trouble with being born as a muslim is you cant get unmuslimed. So muslim numbers never drop. The same is almost true of being baptised into catholicism. It is almost impossible to remove the baptism from the registry so many never even try.
All this gives a completely wrong picture of the numbers. The numbers attending places of worship give a far better picture. Here only 5% of those claiming to be religious attend a place of worship at least once a month.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#47  Postby The_Piper » Sep 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:The trouble with being born as a muslim is you cant get unmuslimed. So muslim numbers never drop. The same is almost true of being baptised into catholicism. It is almost impossible to remove the baptism from the registry so many never even try.
All this gives a completely wrong picture of the numbers. The numbers attending places of worship give a far better picture. Here only 5% of those claiming to be religious attend a place of worship at least once a month.

I wonder if 5% of religous people go to church here, even in New England's bible belt. The only times I see the church parking lots with cars in them is for functions and events, otherwise it's barren.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Only 20% have any belief.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism