Record number of British people say they have no religion

Surprised?

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

#1  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 05, 2017 9:43 am

News prompts fresh calls for Government to cut amount of public money going to the church and reduce its influence in society

The number of Britons who say they have no religion has hit a record high, new data has revealed.

More than half of the British public (53 per cent) say they are not at all religious – a figure that has increased by five percentage points since 2015 and by 19 percentage points since 1983, when just three in 10 people deemed themselves non-religious.

The news has prompted fresh calls for the Government to cut the amount of public money going to the church and reduce its influence in society.

The decline in religious affiliation is hitting the Church of England particularly hard, with the number of people considering themselves Anglican having halved since 2000 – at just 15 per cent. Young people were particularly under-represented, with just 3 per cent of those aged 18-24 describing themselves as Anglican, compared with 40 per cent of those aged 75 and over.
More...

Of course once Liz pops it the c of e will collapse.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Record number of British people say they have no religion

#2  Postby tuco » Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am

I am little surprised its only 53%, for global nuclear and financial power with world's best universities and whatnot. Oh wait, there is the USA!

Seriously now:

Responding to the latest figures, Humanists UK, a national charity working on behalf of non-religious people, said it was “meaningless” for the Church of England to remain the national legally established church, and to urge the Government to end the “ever-increasing” state funding for religion.

The charity’s chief executive Andrew Copson said: “How can it be right that 97 per cent of young people today are not Anglicans, but some 20 per cent of the state schools to which their children will go belong to the Church of England?

“More generally, how can the Church of England remain in any meaningful sense the national legally established church, when it caters for such a small portion of the population?”

How?

btw I was not aware its the national legally established church. Grow up lol
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 05, 2017 10:01 am

Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby tuco » Sep 05, 2017 10:09 am

Is this even political issue or just issue for NGO's like Humanists UK? I am asking because I've never heard it to be among political issues.
tuco

Print view this post

#5  Postby Wortfish » Sep 06, 2017 12:07 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

I do think the State should continue to pay for the repair and maintenance of historic churches. Even if church attendance dwindles to near zero, churches are community and heritage centres and contain a lot of useful local information.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 06, 2017 12:58 am

Wortfish wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:Yep there is in England. Church of England is the official state church of England. That is why you see men in frocks at English memorial services. They get paid by the state.

I do think the State should continue to pay for the repair and maintenance of historic churches. Even if church attendance dwindles to near zero, churches are community and heritage centres and contain a lot of useful local information.

And if churches did things like convert themselves into shelters for the homeless etc, I'd be all for them being supported by the state. As it is, the things you say they provide are useless to the large majority of the community since they don't go to church in the first place. What useful local information is kept in churches? Why would I even think of looking in a church for useful local information instead of somewhere sensible like the library or online?

Personally, I think it'd be a shame to lose some of the buildings, some are quite spectacular. But rather than prop up a shit ton of buildings attended by very few people, I'd sooner the church sold off some of it's property and spent the money on funding less real estate themselves. The churches sold could then be put to better use, like shelters for the homeless, nightclubs, brothels, youth clubs.....
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Wortfish » Sep 06, 2017 1:43 am

monkeyboy wrote:The churches sold could then be put to better use, like shelters for the homeless, nightclubs, brothels, youth clubs.....

Actually, many old churches in London have been converted into nightclubs. However, many are also being reconverted into mosques.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 06, 2017 1:52 am

So long as they're being used and I'm not paying for it, unless it's for something worthwhile like homeless shelters and youthclubs that don't have viable means of funding themselves.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Wortfish » Sep 06, 2017 3:25 am

monkeyboy wrote:So long as they're being used and I'm not paying for it, unless it's for something worthwhile like homeless shelters and youthclubs that don't have viable means of funding themselves.

What I'd like to know is how many people "of no religion" are atheists and agnostics. You can believe in God, or some sort of higher power, but be of no religion. You can also be of a religion like Buddhism or Confuscianism but be a non-theist or even an atheist.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby tuco » Sep 06, 2017 5:25 am

I'd like to know why God does not fund worthwhile activities.
tuco

Print view this post

#11  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 06, 2017 5:49 am

Wortfish wrote:
monkeyboy wrote:So long as they're being used and I'm not paying for it, unless it's for something worthwhile like homeless shelters and youthclubs that don't have viable means of funding themselves.

What I'd like to know is how many people "of no religion" are atheists and agnostics. You can believe in God, or some sort of higher power, but be of no religion. You can also be of a religion like Buddhism or Confuscianism but be a non-theist or even an atheist.

What does it matter? I have very few beefs with individuals who believe in all manner of things but when some of these people come together as a religious group, all manner of shit seems possible. Worse still, the wankers even have the gall to be pompous whilst doing it because they've convinced themselves and reinforced each others' beliefs that they're on the side of good. Pretty much the worst examples of one group of peoples killing other groups of peoples in the planet's recorded history are all based in religious differences. Go figure why religion isn't helpful.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#12  Postby zulumoose » Sep 06, 2017 5:53 am

What I'd like to know is how many people "of no religion" are atheists and agnostics. You can believe in God, or some sort of higher power, but be of no religion.

Normally these sorts of things go the other way round, the religious are over-represented because people will tick the box that goes along with their culture and family background, even if they have no belief, and only ever set foot inside a church for weddings and funerals.

I think it all boils down to how specific the question is and how many people are even bothered to read the question carefully and think about it.

I'm sure in the U.K. there are plenty of conversations along the lines of:-

"Honey, what religion are we again? "

"Just put COE, that's pretty neutral"

"oh, ok"
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 06, 2017 7:28 am

Here you are never asked about your religion as it is illegal but there are people in the more older religious parts like the bible belt that would not say they are not religious as it is culture even though the church has closed. The old Zuiderzee (IJsselmeer) fishing villages are not the bastions of sunday xtian culture anymore. All the shops are open and even businesses like hairdressers do sundays.

The big difference between here and the UK is you never see men in frocks outside a church if you ever see them. All remembrance happenings are pure non religious but I think that will change when Liz is not on the throne.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby BlackBart » Sep 06, 2017 7:40 am

zulumoose wrote:

"oh, ok"

I had that conversation when my brother took me to A&E when I was 16;

"Er, what religion are we?"

"Just put C of E"

I just leave it blank these days - they may as well have a box for favourite cartoon character for all the relevance it has these days.

... It'd be Spiderman BTW.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 06, 2017 9:03 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:

The big difference between here and the UK is you never see men in frocks outside a church if you ever see them. All remembrance happenings are pure non religious but I think that will change when Liz is not on the throne.

I doubt it'll change that quick just because of a new sovereign. Constitutional changes are going to have to happen and we're a bit slow at that stuff still. There's still a reasonable chunk of parliament in both houses that are religious and won't want to change things on a personal level then there's the rest who will be mindful of not pissing off the aged demographic who represent the majority of the religious public.
But saying that, attitudes are shifting. I envisage the slow quiet demise of religion continuing as the old guard die off and the younger, more progressive minds take over. It's coming, just not necessarily as quickly as might be preferred but it's coming is all that matters.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Scot Dutchy » Sep 06, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah you are probably right but Jug Ears and Wee Willie are not that religious? I always was under the impression that Liz and the Greek were the main drivers of religion in the royals.

We did not have an official religion. It was just anything but a catholic. There were so many different protestant belief systems which actually led to its demise. Schism was the name of the game with some really flowery names used. The trouble was they all built their own church. Even in a small village they would two or three which are now empty. The catholics in the south were no better with every hamlet demanding its own church. Now with over 50 dioceses being reduced to 5 and that is not looking sustainable there are plenty of churches for sale.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Wortfish » Sep 06, 2017 1:47 pm

zulumoose wrote:

I'm sure in the U.K. there are plenty of conversations along the lines of:-

"oh, ok"

Even Richard Dawkins admits he is a cultural Christian. As a boy, he spent many an hour in the chapel of his boarding school, praying to God, when all the other students were ssound asleep.
Wortfish

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby zulumoose » Sep 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Even Richard Dawkins admits he is a cultural Christian. As a boy, he spent many an hour in the chapel of his boarding school, praying to God, when all the other students were ssound asleep.

And then he grew up, and started thinking rationally.
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#20  Postby zulumoose » Sep 06, 2017 4:58 pm

Yes Western christianity is a cultural background, but praying by yourself indicates a current belief which, unlike your background, is something you can change..
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism