Religious people are more tolerant, open-minded than atheist

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Religious people are more tolerant, open-minded than atheist

#21  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 08, 2017 6:46 pm

Wortfish wrote:From my experience here, I would have to agree.

Ah, so appeal to personal anecdote is yet another fallacy you're unfamiliar with.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 08, 2017 6:47 pm

laklak wrote:Unsupported assertion can be dismissed without explanation. This pisses off theists, because no matter how you slice it, you eventually get an unsupported assertion or two. I have never had a serious discussion with a theist that didn't eventually boil down to "you have to have faith". No, I don't. "Faith", when unsupported by evidence, is self-delusion, and I don't truck with self-delusion. I also have fairly high standards for evidence. "I feel it" or "I've seen prayer work" or (my personal favorite) "science doesn't know everything" just ain't gonna cut it. I don't actually care what anyone else thinks or believes, unless it has an impact on my life. Believe whatever you want - god, demons, devils, whatever, but when you want to pass laws based on your unsupported mythology or otherwise force it down my throat I tend to resist. If that's being closed minded then I'm happy to cop to it. If others don't like it they're free to go fuck themselves.

:this: is exactly what Wortfish is struggling with in the 'Who made God' thread.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Blackadder » Aug 08, 2017 8:38 pm

It only seems that way to you because atheists won't play the Evidence Free Bullshit Trading Game.

It depends on whether your definition of "tolerance" is "preparedness to overlook whopping great lies extracted from the other guy's anus so long as he returns the favour". If it is, then any reasonable demand for evidence will seem like intolerance. This a problem you own, not the atheist. Thanks.
That credulity should be gross in proportion to the ignorance of the mind that it enslaves, is in strict consistency with the principle of human nature. - Percy Bysshe Shelley
Blackadder
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Aug 08, 2017 10:06 pm

Blackadder wrote:

It only seems that way to you because atheists won't play the Evidence Free Bullshit Trading Game.

It depends on whether your definition of "tolerance" is "preparedness to overlook whopping great lies extracted from the other guy's anus so long as he returns the favour". If it is, then any reasonable demand for evidence will seem like intolerance. This a problem you own, not the atheist. Thanks.

:this:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#25  Postby proudfootz » Aug 09, 2017 2:02 am

Thomas Eshuis wrote:

Ah, so appeal to personal anecdote is yet another fallacy you're unfamiliar with.

I think it's possible some folks think the word 'fallacy' signifies 'an unbeatable argument', which would go far in explaining why it sometimes appear that we get one fallacious argument after another in aid of some cause.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism