Something My Dad Said....

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Re: Something My Dad Said....

#21  Postby hackenslash » Mar 05, 2010 4:30 pm

This is the fallacy of post hoc appeal to consequences. It took me a while to find a perfect example, but I did in the end. If it weren't for Hitler, Eric Kandel would not have won the Nobel prize for his work in signal transduction in the nervous system. Does this mean that Hitler was a good thing?
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Moonwatcher » Mar 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Katherine wrote:Something my Dad said earlier has given me cause for thought - he said that if it weren't for religion, I wouldn't be here. He went to a C of E school (of his Christian parents' choice as it had a religious slant), then to university (he was the first one from his school to have done so) where he met my mother.

What upset me at the time was the fact I couldn't think of an immediate response - can anyone else think of a good retort?

I just read a story called "Time After Time" by Jack Finney. In the story, the main character, a time traveler, prevents someone from being born by distracting a man at a crucial moment when he would have met a woman and they would have become the parents of another person.

So hey, maybe there's some potential person who was never born because your dad met your mom instead of some other woman he would have met had he not gone to that school.

When you really think about it though, this is the equivalent of the argument that goes, "If your Mom had an abortion, you wouldn't have been born and grown up to be in favor of the right to abortion".

The rational mind sometimes boggles for a moment at how to respond to such circular arguments.
We're holograms projected by a scientist riding on the back of an elephant in a garden imagined by a goose in a snow globe on the mantel of a fireplace imagined in a book in the dreams of a child sleeping in his mother's lap.
Moonwatcher

Male

Print view this post

#23  Postby DoctorE » Mar 05, 2010 5:15 pm

And what about the Cyanobacteria.. I would thank them but since I got them in my aquarium I can't stand them ;)
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#24  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 05, 2010 7:44 pm

HughMcB wrote:My dad told me I was "a mistake, sorry accident"; in those exact words. :rofl:

Anything better than that would be a bonus to me. ;)

At least in that situation there might be more of a case. "We didn't have an abortion because of out Christian values" is a bit more reasonable than, "I was a Christian, so I went to a CofE school, so I got good grades, so I went to university, so I met your mother."
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#25  Postby MrFungus420 » Mar 07, 2010 3:06 pm

Katherine wrote:Something my Dad said earlier has given me cause for thought - he said that if it weren't for religion, I wouldn't be here. He went to a C of E school (of his Christian parents' choice as it had a religious slant), then to university (he was the first one from his school to have done so) where he met my mother.

What upset me at the time was the fact I couldn't think of an immediate response - can anyone else think of a good retort?

If it wasn't for Volkswagens, I wouldn't be here. My folks met when my dad sold my mom her first car...a Volkswagen.

That doesn't say anything about the quality of VWs.
Atheism alone is no more a religion than health is a disease. One may as well argue over which brand of car pedestrians drive.
- AronRa
MrFungus420

Print view this post

#26  Postby 95Theses » Mar 07, 2010 3:40 pm

MrFungus420 wrote:

If it wasn't for Volkswagens, I wouldn't be here. My folks met when my dad sold my mom her first car...a Volkswagen.

That doesn't say anything about the quality of VWs.

Further, Volkswagen's wouldn't exist if hitler hadn't invented them.

As I said before, it doesn't mean you should be going around praising Hitler.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Theism