Something My Dad Said....

Christianity, Islam, Other Religions & Belief Systems.

Moderators: Blip, DarthHelmet86

Something My Dad Said....

#1  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

Something my Dad said earlier has given me cause for thought - he said that if it weren't for religion, I wouldn't be here. He went to a C of E school (of his Christian parents' choice as it had a religious slant), then to university (he was the first one from his school to have done so) where he met my mother.

What upset me at the time was the fact I couldn't think of an immediate response - can anyone else think of a good retort?

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Something My Dad Said....

#2  Postby rachelbean » Mar 04, 2010 8:37 pm

Well, if everything didn't happen exactly how it happened, when it happened, you probably wouldn't be here. There are probably all sorts of horrible as well as good things that happened along the way, it doesn't make any of them good just for having been part of our current reality.
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#3  Postby virphen » Mar 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Your existence, like mine and everyone else's, is an astoundingly improbable event in any case.

If your father had farted during the act of your conception, chances are another sperm would have run the race and you still wouldn't be here.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 8:43 pm

And, I guess, that just because they sent my dad to a C of E school, it doesn't validate the Bible's teachings in any case.

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby 95Theses » Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

If WWII hadn't happened you wouldn't be here either, but it doesn't mean you should go round telling everyone how great Hitler was.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 9:10 pm

That's true - my paternal grandparents did meet at an army camp in southern England during World War 2....

Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul » Mar 04, 2010 9:20 pm

All sorts of decisions and events have combined to make you who you are today.

Ever seen the Red Dwarf episode Dimension Jump?

"Peter, I can see your house from here!"
Paul

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby rachelbean » Mar 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back before breakfast!

or, alternately "Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back before Christmas...or whatever" :teef:
rachelbean

Female

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#9  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 04, 2010 9:35 pm

I don't even get the claim. What influence does the fact that he went to a CofE church have on him going to university?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 04, 2010 9:45 pm

Katherine wrote:What upset me at the time was the fact I couldn't think of an immediate response - can anyone else think of a good retort?

So what?

If it weren't for illegal drug-dealing, I wouldn't have met my girlfriend (long - and by long I mean short - story). That doesn't make it good.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:I don't even get the claim. What influence does the fact that he went to a CofE church have on him going to university?

I suppose the reason had something to do with the fact his parents thought he might get a better education if the school had 'C of E' in the title...

Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Shaker » Mar 04, 2010 9:47 pm

He went to a C of E school (of his Christian parents' choice as it had a religious slant), then to university (he was the first one from his school to have done so) where he met my mother.

... and if your dad had gone to a C of E school and then to university, exactly as he actually did, but had caught the flu one day and spent a couple of days in bed he wouldn't have gone out and met your mother wherever and whenever he actually did. Life is built of such contingent events - ever seen the film Sliding Doors?
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Katherine » Mar 04, 2010 9:55 pm

No - I hardly ever watch films.

Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Elena » Mar 04, 2010 9:56 pm

There was this guy in a certain forum who was anti-semitic. He used to insist that he wouldn't be here if not for Hitler.

His grandparents -according to the guy- met at a concentration camp during WWII. Which would make the Holocaust not that bad, he'd reason. :roll:
Elena
RS Donator

Female

Print view this post

#15  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Katherine wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:I don't even get the claim. What influence does the fact that he went to a CofE church have on him going to university?

I suppose the reason had something to do with the fact his parents thought he might get a better education if the school had 'C of E' in the title...

So not only a tenuous link, but a claim that the religious nature of the school had any influence on its academic success.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby HughMcB » Mar 04, 2010 10:19 pm

My dad told me I was "a mistake, sorry accident"; in those exact words. :rofl:

Anything better than that would be a bonus to me. ;)
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Teshi » Mar 05, 2010 2:35 am

It's sort of a human fallacy to assume that if good results come out of things (good or bad) those, things are automatically good. It's the my-illness-is-a-blessing, or my-child's-illness-is-a-blessing, or my-relative's-death-was-a-blessing viewpoint. I don't begrudge anyone the ability to draw something good out of an unfortunate problem, but to then say that the unfortunate thing is straightforward a good thing because of this is-- troublesome. The world is more complex than that.

I expect the first person to drop meat into fire and then retrieve it. He probably burnt himself in the process but regarded that burn as a blessing from thenceforth, because it was his mark of having discovered cooked meat.
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Broiled Jogger » Mar 05, 2010 3:01 am

Every decision I make condemns trillions of potential people to never achieving existence. But on the bright side, I get some of their desserts.
Broiled Jogger

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby twistor59 » Mar 05, 2010 8:02 am

Katherine wrote:And, I guess, that just because they sent my dad to a C of E school, it doesn't validate the Bible's teachings in any case.

Oh, no, I'm sorry I have to disagree. If they sent your dad to a C of E school, then the Bible's teachings are definitely true :naughty2:

Slightly more seriously, you know that thing in us that we have for evolutionary reasons that makes us believe what our parents tell us ? Well I had it really strong, so it was a real struggle to reject my parent's teachings. Guess I wasn't enough of a rebel.
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby twistor59 » Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am

Teshi wrote:
I expect the first person to drop meat into fire and then retrieve it. He probably burnt himself in the process but regarded that burn as a blessing from thenceforth, because it was his mark of having discovered cooked meat.

Then eventually....along came the French !!
A soul in tension that's learning to fly
Condition grounded but determined to try
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted just an earthbound misfit, I
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Theism